The Seaton Cup

I am trying to locate the whereabouts of The Seaton Cup which was a local football 'Player of the Year' trophy presented to Delta Sports FC who played in the First Division of the Sunday Sports League in Sheffield in the 1970's' .  It's benefactor was Les Seaton who was a serving Police Officer and lived in the Wisewood area . He sadly passed away some years ago and since that time the whereabouts of the trophy are unknown.

Any information would be greatly appreciated .

I've just informed his daughter about this post.Hopefully she'll read it and get in touch, Good luck with your search.

Hi sirglyn ! 

Many thanks for your interest......Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell his daughter that I was lucky enough to be awarded the trophy 3 times.....and I am keen to either buy the trophy (as proof to my son that I did actually play football as a young man !) or even a photo of the cup showing the relevant inscriptions on the base ! 

Once again, many thanks 

Hello Tacitus,I've had a couple of mails from my friend Helen and she's asked me to act as intermediary as she's not on Sheffield Forum.Unfortunately,she doesn't know much, apart from the fact that her father was a keen follower of soccer and that he had a connection with Delta Sports FC.She mailed her brother, who regularly went to the matches with their dad, but he has no memory of the Seaton Cup at all.So now she's asked her sister to look through some old paperwork and see if there's anything relevant.I'll let you know what transpires.Cheers,Glyn

Another mail from Helen-she says that should the cup be somewhere among the family's possessions she would be happy to give it to you.Have you thought about finding out who the last recipient was?He (she?) might know something.If you could send me a PM with your real name it might be helpful.She'll be speaking to her sister tomorrow.

Hi again sirglyn,

Thanks again for your efforts.  That's great news and very kind of Helen to respond .  

I am slightly hesitant to disclose my full name on a public forum because I was a Police Officer (since retired) working at Woodseats Police Station, as was Les, albeit on different groups.

The station's football team was named after 'D'  (Delta) Divisional HQ and formed , as far as I can remember, in the very late 60's . Our home ground was at De La Salle school playing fields at Beauchief Abbey on Abbey Lane.  We competed in the First Division of The Sunday Sports League, Division 1 and we were  fortunate enough to win the League a couple of times.

Les regularly supported us and on numerous occasions used to referee our games whenever the allotted referee failed to appear.....It was in the 70's that Les offered to donate a silver cup (The Les Seaton Cup) to be awarded to the player of the Year at the end of each season, the recipient being voted for by the team and staff members.

I was fortunate to win the trophy on 3 occasions and was the only player to do so .

As far as I remember our team disbanded in the late 70's/early 80's ?

To protect my personal details, I wonder if I may give you my email address.....then if you would be kind enough to contact me via email, I would forward my full name and phone number to you accordingly?

My email is al.far@talktalk.net

Once again, many thanks for your assistance.