Council/Veolia Recycling Centres

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

Maybe give your nearest Fire Station a ring? Even if they won’t take it off your hands they’ll probably be able to advise you who will.

Will have a word with the guys at Elm Lane, having said that you have reminded me of my Nephew  30yrs (approx) as a firefighter, now retired, will ask him first.. as I've said It's not a problem, just been stuck in the corner of my garage for about god knows how long...

35 minutes ago, Padders said:

Will have a word with the guys at Elm Lane, having said that you have reminded me of my Nephew  30yrs (approx) as a firefighter, now retired, will ask him first.. as I've said It's not a problem, just been stuck in the corner of my garage for about god knows how long...

Is it an empty extinguisher pads ?

15 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

Is it an empty extinguisher pads ?

Must be 30yrs old Rudds, wife got it when she worked at Thorn..

It's never been used, so I thought it will be useless by now..

It's never been discharged, but I thought I could set it off somewhere safe..

Just examined it Rudds, last serviced in 1992.. ha ha.

Edited by Padders
add on

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Must be 30yrs old Rudds, wife got it when she worked at Thorn..

It's never been used, so I thought it will be useless by now..

It's never been discharged, but I thought I could set it off somewhere safe..

Just examined it Rudds, last serviced in 1992.. ha ha.

What’s in it. I.e for paper fires ,electrical fire etc.   Offer it to a garage or similar if it’s still usable    Best bit of fun I’ve had with them is use them to propel a office type chair while I was sat on it.  You need 2 though order wise you go round in circles 

Edited by rudds1

2 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

What’s in it. I.e for paper fires ,electrical fire etc.   Offer it to a garage or similar if it’s still usable 

Halon 1211 (b.c.f.)

For use on: electrical equipment, flammable liquids, wood, paper, textile, etc.

Think they banned Halon in 1998 due to it destroying the ozone !

The ban on Halon fire extinguishers was implemented following the Montreal Protocol of 1987 and subsequent extension at Kyoto a decade later. The details are in EC Regulation 3093/94 and EC 2037/2000 and the UK Hazardous Waste regulations 2005

Exceptions to the Rule
The EU ban on the use of Halon in fire extinguishers actually came into force in October 2000 and was implemented in the UK in 2003, as a result of scientific research linking Halon and other CFC’s to Ozone depletion. The ban in practice is not total.

Existing owners and users of Halon 1211 portable fire extinguishers may be able to claim exemption to the EU ban for certain “Critical Uses”.

Broadly speaking this includes limited applications within the aircraft industry, military / armed forces, petrochemical industry and some specific marine applications. Refilling of existing Halon systems covered by these exemptions should also be from recycled Halon stocks. Halon 1301 is the version preferred in fixed fire suppression systems and its current use is also tightly controlled although it is installed in the Channel Tunnel. The exemption can also extend to applications that can be justified on the basis of National security.

Safe Disposal
Not only is it illegal to own a Halon fire extinguisher not covered by these exemptions it is also illegal to simply dump them or discharge the contents. Fire and Safety Centre can arrange collection and safe disposal (please note this is a chargeable service and is priced per kg) or you can contact your Local Council Waste Management department for advice.

Identification
Older Halon extinguishers are normally colour coded British Racing Green so are easy to spot but variants on this colour are out there. The military use dark bottle green as you might expect and yellow and gold also turn up. They are now also supplied red with a green colour flash. You are most likely to come across a Green Halon fire extinguisher in an Aircraft where they are still permitted in the absence of an approved replacement.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjVnvH0-InsAhVUXsAKHeM1BEQQFjAKegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fireandsafetycentre.co.uk%2Fadvice-centre%2Fhalon-fire-extinguishers%2F&usg=AOvVaw1vcp3-GmPZO_i4FJWUHJgw

Anyway, back to the topic, I looked on the website for Shirecliffe Tip on Friday and it stated it was currently busy.

We went down twice between 4 and 5 and on both occasions there were only a couple of cars there.

Edited by nikki-red

On 23/09/2020 at 12:21, Padders said:

Will the dumpit sites take fire extinguisher's please ?

If not I've got an Environment Agency Waste License and get dispose of them for you, full or empty. [email protected]

18 hours ago, buckeroo said:

If not I've got an Environment Agency Waste License and get dispose of them for you, full or empty. [email protected]

Thank you,  will keep you in mind.

this may explain why there is so much fly tipping:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/environment/traffic-enforcement-officers-issue-fines-at-sheffield-tip-to-stop-drivers-queuing-in-the-road-3168914?fbclid=IwAR3iZkDqbviJT1U28hCIZnOMG40vebKt6qg-Df02opDjc5rVhnDqssEZWmo

when we went we tried to avoid queues, but even at 10 am on a monday morning queues were already down the road. And according to the queue predictor website they run usually queues are much worse later in the day. 

If they fine people in queues it encourages people to do the wrong thing, because they learn you get fined if you go to where you are supposed to go! Whilst no-one checks who is dumping it in the countryside.

If they don't want queues, why not implement a booking system? Apparently other councils have successfully used this to avoid queues.

I went to blackstock Rd yesterday.  Both security and parking at the entrance.  Drivers forced to drive around until there's space doing u turns on the road causing havoc. The one site for the amount of people it serves isn't adequate. A hour queue to get into the site, security said its like this all the time.  It needs more capacity in the city, but still it's no excuse to fly tip. Traveling through so called less developed countries you don't get as much <removed> by all the roads.  

Edited by nikki-red