Council/Veolia Recycling Centres

Better going to Chesterfield,,,,Staff very helpful unlike Blackstock .They just stand about no offer of help. Very different in Chesterfield.

Yes, the attitude at Chesterfield is totally different and proactive, you are met on the way in, asked what you've got and told the number of the bay most suited to your  load. Often the guys actually help you to offload your car, for which I give them a drink although they never ask for this.  I've never had to wait for any length of time and have never used Blackstock for years for this reason.

It's always seemed strange to me that a city the size of Sheffield only seems to have one "tip" usable by the ordinary public. I grew up in the NW in a town of 25K people and that had and still has it's own tip!

1 hour ago, myriad said:

It's always seemed strange to me that a city the size of Sheffield only seems to have one "tip" usable by the ordinary public. I grew up in the NW in a town of 25K people and that had and still has it's own tip!

There are several aren't there? 5 from this page - https://www.veolia.co.uk/sheffield/recycling-sites/recycling-sites/household-waste-recycling-centres

well  they have just announced they will fine drivers queuing

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/household-waste-recycling-centres-fines-for-queuing-on-roads/?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=

and now the advice is hire a skip. talk about utter madness one might have thought that the most obvious solution would have been to give people bookable slots rather than have them driving round in circles hoping to find a space wasting petrol polluting the air

On 28/05/2020 at 09:49, Bigal1 said:

well  they have just announced they will fine drivers queuing

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/household-waste-recycling-centres-fines-for-queuing-on-roads/?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=

and now the advice is hire a skip. talk about utter madness one might have thought that the most obvious solution would have been to give people bookable slots rather than have them driving round in circles hoping to find a space wasting petrol polluting the air

Yep, cos setting that up and funding the required staff is as easy as typing it on a forum. 

so how come other authorities have been able to do this

Just wanted to say how much better the layout at the High Green recycling centre is now they've lengthened the drive/entrance queue, and moved the main parking area to the back

they are currently allowing 4 cars to park up, but the area will hold many more cars once we're out of the current restrictions, and the entrance can now accommodate many more cars than before, in a bid to reduce the amount of cars waiting on the lane outside,  and at present they are operating a one-way walking system amongst the skips...

I had been storing loads of stuff in my garage due to the current restrictions, I had bags of plastic food containers, shed loads of cardboard, hundreds of tins.... (been building up for a couple of months, and we still manage to fill all our bins come bin collection day!) and bags and bags of garden waste, and all this had started to mulch & release very pleasant smelling liquids...!

So I bit the bullet, expecting huge queues & potential road rage situations, but there was none of it, just easy access & friendly, helpful staff

I know I probably need to get out more, but this was the smoothest tip experience I think I've had in recent memory, so a big well done to whoever conceived the new layout, and thanks to all the staff

They taking fridge freezers again?  i don't want to drag it up there to find it was not on some list of essential only items!

3 hours ago, neeeeeeeeeek said:

They taking fridge freezers again?  i don't want to drag it up there to find it was not on some list of essential only items!

There's nothing on the site to indicate they aren't. If you're still unsure there's a contact number on there: 0114 273 4567

I went to the Blackstock dumpit today only to be waved straight past by two women, I went round four times and ended up bringing my rubbish home- So much for the carbon footprint!, Wasted fuel and time completely!😠😳

The council or whoever put the double yellow lines on there surely could widen the road at the other side as there's a massive verge, This way there could be a sort of lay by for people with rubbish to safely park!

I think the current situation will lead to flytipping increasing 😠

Biggsy 🤨

16 minutes ago, biggsy said:

I think the current situation will lead to flytipping increasing 😠

Biggsy 🤨

Oh it has completely.

We live in the flats around the corner, and because we aren't meant to be using the internal rubbish chutes, the council have put skips outside each block.

Several times a week we watch a white transit van pull up at the block opposite and empty out all the builders bags of rubble, bed frames and old mattresses into the skip and throw it all over the grass and then drive off.

Totally illegal.