Is Chatsworth At Potential Risk Of Catastrophic Flood?

I was looking at the Chatsworth estate on Google maps. Adjacent to the Chatswoth estate are a couple of lakes, the closest being Emperer Lake. Here's a  link. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2278963,-1.6041775,1001m/data=!3m1!1e3

Using the 3D feature of maps I noticed that the lakes are actually on higher ground than the Chatsworth estate. I hope you can see this in this link. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2151541,-1.6035328,371a,35y,357.89h,78.77t/data=!3m1!1e3

If the banks of Emperor Lake were to somehow fail the Chatsworth estate could be in trouble.

Edited by Earthlyone

Look up Emperor fountain to explain the reasons for the Emperor lake.

20 hours ago, enntee said:

Go and have a look in real life …. and you will see that there is no danger from the lakes that were constructed by the estate themselves.

Hi both,

I can't view it in real life sadly, so would really appreciate some further specific info about it - seems relatively interesting.

15 hours ago, HIBBSY said:

Look up Emperor fountain to explain the reasons for the Emperor lake.

Hibbsy, before reading your post I was just thinking how it almost looks like Emperor Lake and Ring Pond may feed into the fountain. But again, without really paying close attention to it, I can't see if that is true/possible/most definitely impossible. 

The forest between the estate and the Lake would be quite a good buffer I'd imagine - unless again, I'm misreading the incline totally.

Also, what has happened to Swiss Lake? Looks all dried up on Google Maps. Is it a feeder to the Emperor Lake and Ring Pond?

Edited by Eddie_shef
Messed up the quoting spectacularly

Ordnance Survey

The engineer Joseph Paxton was a very experienced, successful and competent engineer.

The lakes are no more than 6' deep when full and are on relatively flat ground

Don't forget the free to view Aqueduct,  again also built by Paxton.

3 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Ordnance Survey

The engineer Joseph Paxton was a very experienced, successful and competent engineer.

I hadn't seen the Aqueduct on Google Maps, thank you!

The lakes do seem to be on flatish ground, however there's a bit of a slope just to the west of the lakes.

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Ordnance Survey

A lot of things that were expertly engineered and had served us well in Sheffield for years such  as the sewage systems and the rivers are now becoming not fit for purpose due to the increase in rainfall levels in recent times.

I’ve never heard of rivers being not fit for purpose before.

5 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I’ve never heard of rivers being not fit for purpose before.

Lol, you know what I mean, the river Don in sheffield broke its man made banks in places quite dramatically in 2007. Having said that though, natural rivers and lakes are increasingly becoming "not fit for purpose" due to rising sea levels.

Edited by Earthlyone

The 2007 flood was in the wettest month and wettest 3 month period in Sheff met office record going back to 1882 not sure we can draw too much from that though.

I would have thought as salmon have been found in the Don  and all the millions spent on the network the sewers have never been in better shape.

The history of Blackburn meadows is really interesting ,world leading at the time.

The wiki is a good read.

Like a lot of cites there are still combined drains so wonder how many discharges to river still happen

On 06/06/2020 at 12:47, Earthlyone said:

I was looking at the Chatsworth estate on Google maps. Adjacent to the Chatswoth estate are a couple of lakes, the closest being Emperer Lake. Here's a  link. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2278963,-1.6041775,1001m/data=!3m1!1e3

Using the 3D feature of maps I noticed that the lakes are actually on higher ground than the Chatsworth estate. I hope you can see this in this link. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2151541,-1.6035328,371a,35y,357.89h,78.77t/data=!3m1!1e3

If the banks of Emperor Lake were to somehow fail the Chatsworth estate could be in trouble.

On the side nearest the house that would be land rising about 10 feet higher for a good 50 yards towards the house from a lake that is 6 feet deep. It would need large amounts of high explosives to make it fail.

I'd be a tad more worried (but only a fraction of a tenth of one percent) about Sheffield which has a number of reservoirs to the N & W of the city - all on higher land and containing a much higher volume of water. And as we know, one of the dams has collapsed before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sheffield_Flood