So I'm Thinking Of Moving To Sheffield.

Hi all, 

I am currently living in London and I want to move to Sheffield. 

I am a recent graduate with around 10k in savings and I'm looking to move somewhere that's quite suburban with a carribean community nearby. I have no kids and no responsibilities whatsoever. I just want to move, to get my foot in the door within a corporate company/head office of some sort and eventually move back to London after a year and a half of gaining experience. 

What are the best area's to move to?

What are the job prospects? (I have experience as a legal/finance assistant and team leader in a carehome). 

Is it easy to earn £18k-£25k there?

We moved to Sheffield for professional reasons 25 years ago, and found it very welcoming. I'm in a different field entirely, so can't speak to your requirements, but wanted to wish you good luck.

Do you know the city already -- did you go to school here? What made you choose Sheffield?

--Dozer

There's a big Caribbean community in Leeds, plus larger city so more opportunities.

I would advise you not to bother....

Given 1/2 the chance, and funds, i'd have left years ago imho.. :)

no one moves to Sheffield for the job opportunities! 🤣

There's only about 3 decent size employers in the whole city (save public sector).

Genuinely, gain your experience down south where there are lots of opportunities there, and then apply for the half dozen roles that exist up here and you may have a chance of beating the other 250 people who will also apply for the same role!

but if i was in your position, footloose and responsibility-less, looking to build a career, I would go to Leeds or Manchester. 

You cant compare sheffield to manchester its like a village in comparison all the villages

around sheffield not very good pubs shut down by the hundreds if not thousands a one road city called Parkway always runs through it a bit of a joke keep away 

I'm disappointed to read the above post regarding our great city.  Shame on you all.

Not wanting to start a race war, the areas with larger carribean communities tend to be in the less desirable areas but depends on your reasons for looking.

Kelham Island is a decent place to live with plenty of night life to keep you happy and reasonable rents at the moment.

Spital Hill/Burngreave/Pitsmoor doesn't have the best crime rates.

Before anyone starts, I'm a Pitsmoor lad myself.

2 hours ago, dan2802 said:

I'm disappointed to read the above post regarding our great city.  Shame on you all.

Not wanting to start a race war, the areas with larger carribean communities tend to be in the less desirable areas but depends on your reasons for looking.

Kelham Island is a decent place to live with plenty of night life to keep you happy and reasonable rents at the moment.

Spital Hill/Burngreave/Pitsmoor doesn't have the best crime rates.

Before anyone starts, I'm a Pitsmoor lad myself.

On your side. I've lived in Darnall for 30+ years. Met loads of true friends. Can't ever imagine moving. Transport great but walking better. Couple of miles to Meadowhell or town along the river or canal. People will always knock sheffield but there are more plusses than minuses, in my opinion!

3 hours ago, drolnhoj said:

On your side. I've lived in Darnall for 30+ years. Met loads of true friends. Can't ever imagine moving. Transport great but walking better. Couple of miles to Meadowhell or town along the river or canal. People will always knock sheffield but there are more plusses than minuses, in my opinion!

Yup, Forza Sheffield! Its far from perfect but a lot better than other big northern cities...

18 hours ago, bungleboy69 said:

Yup, Forza Sheffield! Its far from perfect but a lot better than other big northern cities...

Yes you will know then they have  shut every pub in darall about half a dozen and 2 or 3 clubs last straw when they shut wilkinsons  nice place get real was 30 years ago rot started when they shut 

firestation now a no go area after 7 pm