Were You A Collector As A Kid?

8 hours ago, kickstart12 said:

when i was at school i collected a bit of allsorts,comics,got into motorcycles so collected bike mags brochures had them stuck on my bedroom walls.collected a bit of military stuff bullets, shells, i found a german helmet on parkwood springs which i still got! ..coins and i'm still collecting stuff to this day

Keep up the good work Kickstart.

You'd have loved when they pulled Franklin St & the Landsdown area terrace houses down, there was millitary stuff everywhere. 

I've still got some of the Gasmasks I found from back then but for some reason never kept any of the Tommy helmets I've no idea why .  I've still got the German Helmet I bought from the pre Helmet law days. Every Rebel had to have at least one German Helmet, there was nothing Political about it. Helmets are probably one of the worse things to collect  because they take up so much space and it becomes adictive then you have the problem of how do you display them all - LOL. I'v now got helmets from all over the world including  finding many years ago something I thought was something of an URBAN LEGEND a GERMAN HELMET  GUZUNDER which has 3 Large Nuts for feet and a handle attached to it before being properly ENAMELED (light Grey). 

I can remember delivering furniture up Parkwood Springs when all the houses were still there. 

Happy Daze.

these days i seem to collect anything that takes my eye from frogs(not real ones lol) to 50p coins,model motorcycles,t shirts,myth & magic,i could say motorcycles seeing as i've owned about 250, sheds full of junk that will come in handy one day well that's what i keep telling myself i even have a mz as a garden feature don't ask

9 hours ago, kickstart12 said:

these days i seem to collect anything that takes my eye from frogs(not real ones lol) to 50p coins,model motorcycles,t shirts,myth & magic,i could say motorcycles seeing as i've owned about 250, sheds full of junk that will come in handy one day well that's what i keep telling myself i even have a mz as a garden feature don't ask

Don't tell me the MZ never made it out the Garden because it was one of those that were made with the sub standard Crank?

Your collecting 50p coins rings a bell, its something one of our lads does (yep he'd a Hoarder like his Dad) but it got me to thinking I've a couple of 10 Bob notes sitting with my pre decimalization coins in't attic. Remembering that took me back to having been for a walk in Hutcliff Woods many years ago my Brother found a 10 Bob note. I know he bought me something (but can't remember what) and bought himself a Corgi toys Land Rover set (think it had a trailer of some sort) and gave the rest to our Mam. to think our pocket money would only have been 6d so 10 bob was a lot of money. i remember where we went to buy the Land Rover and it was apart from Redgates one of our Favourite Toy shops. it stopped being a toy shop many years ago but there may be a few on here who might remember the rather strange toy shop that was above a shop at the very top of Bocking lane (on yer way out to Greenhill)(just before the roundabout). the shop is now Greenhill pharmacy and the window above the archway (I just checked it out on google maps) was the toy shop part of the shop.

Thank's for triggering some memories.

Enjoy the Collecting.

Happy Daze. 

little money but we had everything.

was just reading back through this thread...the mz 150 i picked up about 15 years ago at newark auto jumble i bought it just to put it in garden,had to paint it army green tho...with this lockdown its one of the things i've missed.i liked redgates and beaties the model shop i can remember buying airfix planes and those little tins of paint..lewis leathers on the moor i still got a leather jacket with tassles! just thinking what else i got ,a brass plate off hms ark royal got that in 70's  some wrist watches,dandy, beano and other books of interest, i'm still into motorcycles and got a kawasaki meanstreak i could go on..........

On 08/06/2020 at 12:43, pitsmoorboy said:

When I was a nipper I  collected muck on my face and neck and hands, but my mum made me wash it off every time I got home.    😂😂  lol.. 

When I was a nipper my mother thought that I was Italian,every time I ran into the house I would shout "Mamamia"!.😄

On 18/06/2020 at 01:18, kickstart12 said:

was just reading back through this thread...the mz 150 i picked up about 15 years ago at newark auto jumble i bought it just to put it in garden,had to paint it army green tho...with this lockdown its one of the things i've missed.i liked redgates and beaties the model shop i can remember buying airfix planes and those little tins of paint..lewis leathers on the moor i still got a leather jacket with tassles! just thinking what else i got ,a brass plate off hms ark royal got that in 70's  some wrist watches,dandy, beano and other books of interest, i'm still into motorcycles and got a kawasaki meanstreak i could go on..........

Stood many a time at Newark - lots of collectables to be had there.

Which Lewis Leathers ? the old shop on the left going up the Moor or the New shop on the Right hand side?

Does collecting ever stop? 

Coins were easy back then and looking back it was surprising how old some of those coins were that were still in circulation.

I'll have to get the full story on my Stamp album but I know a lot of the stamps came from one of our ancestors who worked in an office (probably John Brown's Ship yard) so has a good few stamps from all over the world.

I've been Collecting names over the last 2-3 years for our Family Tree I suppose that count's doesn't it? direct line as far back as 1736 other branches 1650.

I've been collecting Tattoos from an early age,

and it's a fair old Collection. 

It's still hard to believe at one time there was only one Tattooist in Sheffield and many Happy Hours were spent at Charlie's on Wilkinson St.

I don't know about a Kawasaki Mean streak Kick Start as I kept to British bikes for as long as I could but certainly have a Suzuki Soft spot. (see what I did there?)

Keep safe,

Collect Well.

Edited by Rockers rule
wrong word used

lewis leathers probably the new shop at the bottom left,your right! can't remember the other one probably before my time.i had a few british bikes but the jap stuff was everywhere and cheap..not so cheap now tho if only we knew..think its strange! how  some motorcyles have odd names you  do get some odd looks when some one asks you what you got or ride,its a good job i have 'nt got a fat boy or intruder lol

9 hours ago, kickstart12 said:

lewis leathers probably the new shop at the bottom left,your right! can't remember the other one probably before my time.i had a few british bikes but the jap stuff was everywhere and cheap..not so cheap now tho if only we knew..think its strange! how  some motorcyles have odd names you  do get some odd looks when some one asks you what you got or ride,its a good job i have 'nt got a fat boy or intruder lol

The original Lewis Leathers Shop was the third shop from the left.

Btm of the moor (when the roundabout was there) left hand side going up the Moor.

These  would be where the Man Power Services building is now.

British bikes were the things that were cheap back then.

C15's  £15

My first A10 £70

Triumphs, etc around the same price £50 - £70.

Reliant Regals £15.

Back on subject.

I did find more out  about my Stamp Album - it was my grandads and a lot of the stamps would have come from when he worked in the offices at John Browns on the Clyde, hence the many foreign stamps.

Keep safe

Collect Wise

s00213.jpg

I spent half my life looking in The original Lewis Leathers Shop

windows late 60s on-wards.

the new shop didnt have the same magic.

bought my first of many A10s just off London road

up the side street with ted Williams at the bottom

1974 A10 double adult sidecar £25

Edited by MICK BADGER