Were You A Collector As A Kid?

I collected stamps when I was young . Remember buying them from a  shop in Sheffield Market.  I had a very full album with first day covers etc. 40 years ago we moved from Sheffield & had to put everything in store ; my stamp album was one a few things including a silver tray which we eventually realised (too late!) had not been in the contents when they were eventually delivered to us.  Sad !

When I was a nipper I  collected muck on my face and neck and hands, but my mum made me wash it off every time I got home.    😂😂  lol.. 

On 06/06/2020 at 22:32, Rockers rule said:

I sold a 3 wheeler years ago that had BRA registration to a Lady who was well happy with it, nearly killed us on the test drive and I refused the offer for her to give me a lift home after she had paid for it - lol.

Collecting wise, we had nothing and yet we had everything. i think i spent alot of my time as a young un drawing (didn't cost owt) but having read the other post's on here I do remember collecting bubble gum cards and I think probably due to the art work. Civil War News and Battle (WW2) and both were very gruesome. other more innocent collecting including Buss tickets especially those with different advertisement on the back of them. Books are a big love of mine and my collection is impressive, Pre decimalisation coins still got them, Old stamp album that was my Gt Grandads (penny Reds etc. I still have magazines I bought in the sixties (Motorcycle). Ok I'm a hoarder with no exusse - love it. 

Restoring bicycles is my latest thing - no engine to mess with and I managed to amass a good collection of British Bicycles for little money before the prices started going up. several on the go at the moment including a Royal Enfield Gents Bike and a Butchers bike both from the 1930's all of which are keeping me busy on lock down.

Like I say we had nothing yet we had everything & I've certainly made up for it since.

He who Die's with the most toys wins

I collect bicycles, mainly ones discarded at our local tip, some you can literally ride away. The pride of my stable was a BSA tandem which I bought for next to nothing. It wasn't roadworthy so I  made a ghost bike out of it, sprayed it all light grey apart from the letters BSA in the sprocket which I painted bright red. It must have looked pretty special because someone nicked it when we were out. Ironically, it's the second BSA I've had nicked, the first was a Rocket Gold Star from outside Bramall Lane in 1970. I'd love to have them both back.

7 hours ago, Downsunder said:

I collect bicycles, mainly ones discarded at our local tip, some you can literally ride away. The pride of my stable was a BSA tandem which I bought for next to nothing. It wasn't roadworthy so I  made a ghost bike out of it, sprayed it all light grey apart from the letters BSA in the sprocket which I painted bright red. It must have looked pretty special because someone nicked it when we were out. Ironically, it's the second BSA I've had nicked, the first was a Rocket Gold Star from outside Bramall Lane in 1970. I'd love to have them both back.

We used to live near Bramall lane back then & it wasn't me Honest Officer.

The Older the better for me - love anything with Rod brakes but do have bikes with cables and build one off specials all the time.

Sold my BSA Winged Wheel a while back.

I've a nice 3spd Metalic Blue Triumph push bike with contrasting White bits, grips, cables & even white pedals that i use with wide Cow horns, i love riding it even if my old knees dont - LOL.

Royal Enfields are my fav & i've a nice early gents bike to work on next (amongst others).

Working on a couple of motorized bicycles at the moment (the kits you see on Ebay) should be fun when finnished.

Keep safe.

On the subject of building cycles I posted a couple of years back about how I used to do this with very little cash,in our old cottage my dad had built a workshop on the opposite side of our living quarters!.It had everything I needed tools a couple of vices ,spanners ,nuts bolts,hemery paper by the yard,nails paint brushes,you name it he had it and I could use it when I liked!.My main source of parts was a scrapyard outside a house behind Hillfoot Working Mens Club,I could buy a frame for a shilling,alloy wheels buckled of course,handlebars,saddles,pedal cranks,brakes,ect. for pennies,it was just scrap to the old guy but gold to me!.Bit by bit I aquired parts cleaning them up ,sandpapering and painting with a paint called chinese laqaeur,the wheels were trued up by an old guy called Beldam who ran a cycle shop out of his front room near to Stones Brewery all for little money!.He supplied me with new parts brake blocks,mudguards ,inner tubes ect,when finished the bikes looked top notch,I would ride the bike until I tired of it and I sold it at school to older lads who were always pestoring me ,for a nice profit of course!.I made track bikes with cowhorn handlebars all sorts of bikes,lightweights even a tandam it all depended on what turned up at the scrapyard,the owner regarded me as a nuisance a real grumpy old get but I kept on his right side I had to get my parts!.

what a great thread, made me laugh. I collect what I called That will come in useful, or what my wife used to call rubbish. and I still like saving useful items (rubbish). fishing gear I am in my late 60s and I still have fishing bits from my sixth birthday plus so much more as well I could open a shop, thanks for the memories

3 minutes ago, norsman said:

what a great thread, made me laugh. I collect what I called That will come in useful, or what my wife used to call rubbish. and I still like saving useful items (rubbish). fishing gear I am in my late 60s and I still have fishing bits from my sixth birthday plus so much more as well I could open a shop, thanks for the memories

Hello Norsman.

I've a garage & 2 sheds (& the garage extention) full of 'it'll come in handy' (& I darent even want to venture into the attic)

He who dies with the most toys wins.

I had a put together bike that only had one high gear cog on the back wheel. Hard work pedaling on the flat, and impossible to ride up even a small slope. Often wondered where and why it came from. Possibly a racing bike?

We went through two stages "doing a bike up".  First we loaded it up with fancy  shiny new accessories from the bike shop, dynamoes, lucas lamps, a bell, mudguards, a carrier, pump, saddle bag, even a rear view mirror. And those cool transfers.

Then, at some point we tried to lighten it, stripping it down to bare necessities. even taking off the front breaks.

There was the little finger test, all our neighborhood bikes were subjected to. If you couldn't lift it off the ground with your little finger, it was too heavy!

Kept us busy, I suppose!

Edited by trastrick

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

I had a put together bike that only had one high gear cog on the back wheel. Hard work pedaling on the flat, and impossible to ride up even a small slope. Often wondered where and why it came from. Possibly a racing bike?

We went through two stages "doing a bike up".  First we loaded it up with fancy  shiny new accessories from the bike shop, dynamoes, lucas lamps, a bell, mudguards, a carrier, pump, saddle bag, even a rear view mirror. And those cool transfers.

Then, at some point we tried to lighten it, stripping it down to bare necessities. even taking off the front breaks.

There was the little finger test, all our neighborhood bikes were subjected to. If you couldn't lift it off the ground with your little finger, it was too heavy!

Kept us busy, I suppose!

Yep single speed not so good around Sheff unless you lived in't Valley or around Hillsbrough certainly not  the hills around Middlewood or Meersbrook. 

Ape hangers were always my Fav.

I once started collecting things like sweet wrappers etc, imagine how good it would be to look back at wrappers for the single pieces of 'Highland toffee' or other treats we used to buy on the way to Skool.

I'm writing a book set in the 60's 70's and for some reason got to thinking about the round Elastoplast tins where you pushed the middle out. lots of things we considered every day items now very collectable, Will anyone look back with the same affection to tins of Morrisons own Beanz in 30 years time ?

As I got older I went on to Collect Motorcycles, Cars & Children - which led on to Collecting Grandkids - LOL.

Keep safe.

Hi Rockers rule I,ve got one up on you collecting Grandkids I,ve got two Grandkids plus three 

Great Grandkids the oldest is at least head and shoulders over me,very scary!.

1 hour ago, old tup said:

Hi Rockers rule I,ve got one up on you collecting Grandkids I,ve got two Grandkids plus three 

Great Grandkids the oldest is at least head and shoulders over me,very scary!.

AMATURE - ok your 2 up on us (but there is another on the way) with the Great Grandkids.

BUT EASILY BEAT yer with our 19 (& 1 on the way) Grandkids.

(very sloppy C of E -lol)

Edited by Rockers rule
wrong spelling

when i was at school i collected a bit of allsorts,comics,got into motorcycles so collected bike mags brochures had them stuck on my bedroom walls.collected a bit of military stuff bullets, shells, i found a german helmet on parkwood springs which i still got! ..coins and i'm still collecting stuff to this day