If You Aren't Anti-Fascist. ?

mort

So we are clear - the usual rules apply here. If you cannot behave in a civil manner then I will be happy to suspend your account. This includes personal attacks on other users. Debate the topic like rational adults please. 

Message added by mort

On 04/06/2020 at 09:15, Earthlyone said:

Ironically, Halibut is displaying fascistic mentality with this thread.

Fascism isn't the preserve of the right, it is a mentality of dogma, of do things as we do them, of think like we do, or else! this mentality and action is certainly present on the left.

This is something I've noted evolving over the last decade (Not specifically Halibut, but the far left).

In the USA the far left have indeed adopted some of the mentality (not to be confused with the ideals) of the far right, such as trying to drown out free speech, use intimidation tactics and even violence.  This hasn't gone unnoticed by the right and far right, who are using this to their advantage and holding up such examples to show themselves as being the morally 'bigger man' in the situation.

In some respect, the far left are facilitating the far right.

1 hour ago, CaptainSwing said:

Well I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but in Imperial times, "The fasces were bundles of rods and axes, to symbolise the consul's power to order beatings and executions", Cambridge Latin Course (4th ed.), Book IV, p.105.

Earlier on, "the fasces were not merely decorative or symbolic devices carried before magistrates in a parade of idle formalism.  Rather, they constituted a portable kit for flogging and decapitation."

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1156

That last link also talks about the "strength-in-unity" interpretation that you mention, which they reckon probably originated around the time of the French Revolution.

Let's say we're both right, eh?

No prob's Captain, been nice jousting with you.

Shame Halibut hasn't come back in. 

Keep safe.

51 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

From a purely technical point of view, regardless of your movement's goals or ideals, if you use tactics that fall into criteria for terrorism then you may become listed as terrorists.

Antifa, being of the extreme far left, are known to use violence and intimidation, this may (or may not) qualify as terrorism.

Antifa isn't a single entity or group - therefore the term 'extreme far left' being used to describe them is really too vague to be meaningful. There may be elements within Antifa that could merit that description, but it's a bit like saying everyone who reads the Daily Fail is extreme far right - it's simply not true. The kind of violence associated with the protests at Mr Floyds murder most certainly isn't terrorism - with the possible exception of the police charge  with teargas and rubber bullets to clear the peaceful protesters at the church for Trumps nauseating photo op.

12 hours ago, Waldo said:

I really don't like the idea of people being bullied or coerced in to identification with any particular ideology, set of beliefs, group, or whatever. I much prefer people to believe whatever it is they believe; to be true and genuine according to their own natures. If that means they're going to be a bad apple, so be it, and in any case, who am I to judge what makes an apple good or bad? In fact, I would think that no apple is entirely good or bad; but is a multifaceted being, a product of it's lived experience.

Have you no moral compass? What a bizarre thing to say about yourself.

Edited by Halibut

26 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Antifa isn't a single entity or group - therefore the term 'extreme far left' being used to describe them is really too vague to be meaningful. There may be elements within Antifa that could merit that description, but it's a bit like saying everyone who reads the Daily Fail is extreme far right - it's simply not true. The kind of violence associated with the protests at Mr Floyds murder most certainly isn't terrorism - with the possible exception of the police charge  with teargas and rubber bullets to clear the peaceful protesters at the church for Trumps nauseating photo op.

in your opinion

the whitehouse put out a statement barr wanted the perimeter outside the whitehouse extended as the so called peacefull protesters the night before set fire to the church and did other criminal damage in the area

the crowd was addressed by tannoy  three times to move and did not in 15 minutes 

police tried to move them and got pelted with bottles and stones first therefore force was needed

smoke was used not tear gas

two sides to every story only one hits msm

Edited by bassbinn

33 minutes ago, Halibut said:

As I've said in another topic, Antifa (as an organisation in US) has been previously linked to terrorist actions in 2016, prior to recent protests.

Edited by Branyy

32 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Have you no moral compass? What a bizarre thing to say about yourself.

I'm sure he has a moral compass. What's wrong with him having the view 'who am I to judge?'

2 minutes ago, Branyy said:

As I've said in another topic, Antifa (as organisation) has been previously linked to terrorist actions in 2016, prior to recent protests.

again, its not an organisation, its a group of likeminded individuals and small groups with no structure, no leaders, no training or hierarchy. as for your definition...try a bit harder to find something not biased? 

2 minutes ago, Delayed said:

I'm sure he has a moral compass. 

I'm sure he can speak for himself.

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

again, its not an organisation, its a group of likeminded individuals and small groups with no structure, no leaders, no training or hierarchy. as for your definition...try a bit harder to find something not biased? 

Thanks, let me rephrase that. Extremists identifying themselves as Antifa has been linked to terrorist actions.

1 minute ago, Halibut said:

I'm sure he can speak for himself.

I'm sure he can too but it's a forum and I'm entitled to post what I think. But a lame attempt at evading my point though. 

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

I'm sure he can too but it's a forum and I'm entitled to post what I think. But a lame attempt at evading my point though. 

What point?