Router No Longer Working!

Well there has been a lot of issues around TT going down over the weekend - ours went down yesterday. The 'helpful' support staff would not make adjustments until I connected their kit back on - they did something at their end and now I can't use my superior Archer VR2800! Then I had an issue with the PowerLine adapters, also TP-Link - as it has now been over 3 years since I last used the TT router I had forgotten about the router's interface - it had added -Ethernet or -Wireless to the named devices on the LAN connection - removing this resolved the PowerLine adapters. I've tried doing a factory reset on the Archer but the Internet LED stays permanently red! TT have sent out their latest router which arrived today and gone in to cold storage - no usb port for my firewalla block! 😱

Edited by swarfendor437

If it's superior there should be lots of logging telling you what it's having problems with. My Asus router outputs a lot of logs if I tell it to. Should be able to debug it from there.

That is one area I can't access as it uses Cloud Services. The functionality of the router is more what I meant. I might see if I can check any firewalla logs though.

A bit late for a reply and I hope it's sorted by now.

On 04/06/2020 at 16:01, swarfendor437 said:

That is one area I can't access as it uses Cloud Services. The functionality of the router is more what I meant. I might see if I can check any firewalla logs though.

Logs/router access look like they just link back to your router, http://tplinkmodem.net/  looks like it just resolves to the local IP address on your router. I don't think it's cloud stored as you thought. I use the IP address of the router, not the link in the readme file or instructions. Every router I've worked on keeps a local copy of the logs.

It is always best practice (IMO) to get the connection up and running before adding any device like firewalla and creating a DHCP range and WiFi etc. But it's your network and your choice, the reason is just to lower possible points of failure and keep it simple for the first run or test.

Things I'd try first...

Reset/Update firmware on the Archer and try again without the firewalla and any other devices plugged into it, other than the power and lead for internet access, and just use 1 PC/Laptop wired direct to check and alter settings.

Going by the pictures, the Archer has two WAN inputs, an RJ11 and RJ45. Do you have to select the one you want to use? It may be defaulting to the RJ45 after the reset.

Does TT require a user and/or password in the WAN/Internet section of the router web interface? This should not be needed but I've never used TT so I don't know.

I'll have a think for more things to try but as a last resort and not the way you should have to do it, as a temp fix, you could use the TT router as a modem only (Disable DHCP and WiFi etc), then connect it to the Archer that will run your network and WiFi. Chances are using this method, you'll have to double check/alter the IP addressing to make sure devices can talk to each other. I'm not sure how your "firewalla" would handle this method but in theory, it should still block before things get to your home devices. As I said "Last resort" but I'm fully aware that some ISPs are very fussy about using other equipment.

Edited by zach

Hi, everyone (deep blush!) because it was showing red for the internet I thought I could not connect - I got hold of the manual from the official website - don't remember much documentation (not in the box). I connected notebook to it wirelessly and set it up once more. I tried the fast hub that TT sent out and it is awful - more drop-outs than I cared to mention, including the mobile phones in the household! I also have my firewalla back in action and the Prmary and Secondary DNS servers set to cloudflare again! Yippee!

Well, it's happened again - I've had to succumb to using the TT Fast Hub. A bit annoying as speedtest with the TP-Link was indicating 80 Mb download - on the Sagem Fast Hub 58 Mb download speed. Over the weekend discovered an interesting post elsewhere that Cloudflare and OpenDNS becoming too much like Google so I have changed my primary and secondary dns to ones available via https://www.opennic.org/

Not much of a drop in speed and good privacy too.

4 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

Well, it's happened again - I've had to succumb to using the TT Fast Hub. A bit annoying as speedtest with the TP-Link was indicating 80 Mb download - on the Sagem Fast Hub 58 Mb download speed. Over the weekend discovered an interesting post elsewhere that Cloudflare and OpenDNS becoming too much like Google so I have changed my primary and secondary dns to ones available via https://www.opennic.org/

Not much of a drop in speed and good privacy too.

I don't know why you have so many problems with DNS, I have been using Google's DNS for a few years, never had a problem, updates instantly if I need to make any changes to my domain, and cant say I have noticed it being particularly slow or anything...

things resolve and load pretty much instantly for me!

Just thought I would update you as I have finally bottomed this one! You know the gist of the story about issues connecting to TT - they sent out a fast hub - great for wifi, not great for the powerline adapters as no destop or other device connected to powerlines would connect. They sent out a D-Link router - similar design to the old Huawei HG-633 model in terms of flashing LED's - couldn't even login connected directly by ethernet to the router "connection timed out". They advised I needed an engineer to visit as they could tell the problem was my side - free call out but £65 if issue "on my side of the wire." I'd had enough! Reset the Archer once more and added another older ADSL router as an Access Point and everything is now working! :D