Sign in to follow this  

Online Banking.

I already have telephone banking with two banks but do I need online banking as well. ? What are the benefits of one against another ?

Edited by pattricia

I thought you'd already asked this...must be me having a 'senior' moment.

Just to be clear, I understood it as "online" is via a web browser and "Mobile" is via an app on phone or tablet.

For me, mobile banking is very good and the better of the two online type banking.

I can send/receive money in seconds.

Pay my credit card off in seconds (And see the balance/transactions)

I can see recent transactions on all accounts - main account, credit card, motrgage

I can see and income/outgoing that are coming up (Direct debit etc)

Depending on the device, login with fingerprint

The list goes on.

I find a mix of mobile banking and Paypal covers my needs. I do have online banking too but I find it a PITA to login! I wouldn't use it on older devices that don't get security updates etc. Fairly sure the banks app won't even install on them.

Edited by zach

I stopped using phone banking sometime in the late 90's and went to an online only bank (who did have phone access) i think in 25 years i've called the bank on the phone banking line once and thats because we couldn't get access to online banking.

As above -  most of my banking now is mobile app and occasionally via my laptop if i need a print out or need to see the screen better.

You can even scan cheques now and pay them into your account without having to physically deposit them - which is better than queueing behind the loose change depositers and people chasing an extra 1/4 % on their million £ pension pots in the Halifax.

10 minutes ago, zach said:

I thought you'd already asked this...must be me having a 'senior' moment.

Just to be clear, I understood it as "online" is via a web browser and "Mobile" is via an app on phone or tablet.

For me, mobile banking is very good and the better of the two online type banking.

I can send/receive money in seconds.

Pay my credit card off in seconds (And see the balance/transactions)

I can see recent transactions on all accounts - main account, credit card, motrgage

I can see and income/outgoing that are coming up (Direct debit etc)

Depending on the device, login with fingerprint

The list goes on.

I find a mix of mobile banking and Paypal covers my needs. I do have online banking too but I find it a PITA to login! I wouldn't use it on older devices that don't get security updates etc. Fairly sure the banks app won't even install on them.

So to sum up are you saying that online banking is better than telephone banking ?

1 minute ago, willman said:

I stopped using phone banking sometime in the late 90's and went to an online only bank (who did have phone access) i think in 25 years i've called the bank on the phone banking line once and thats because we couldn't get access to online banking.

As above -  most of my banking now is mobile app and occasionally via my laptop if i need a print out or need to see the screen better.

You can even scan cheques now and pay them into your account without having to physically deposit them - which is better than queueing behind the loose change depositers and people chasing an extra 1/4 % on their million £ pension pots in the Halifax.

Thank you . Your reply is very helpful. I am also with the Halifax. So the only thing you cannot do with telephone banking is seeing a print out of your transactions and paying a cheque in. Also with either of them you cannot draw cash out.

Sort of. But I was listing things I can do on my phone with my banks app. Although it's online, I thought this was called Mobile Banking.

I can do all the same via a web browser (online) but with my bank, you have to jump through hoops before you get to your account, the app on the phone is much more user friendly. Things may have changed, I set both up years ago. It must be over 5 years since I actually went in a bank.

Without doubt, both are better than telephone banking (IMO) I was just trying to highlight the two types of online, as I see it.

3 minutes ago, pattricia said:

So to sum up are you saying that online banking is better than telephone banking ?

Thank you . Your reply is very helpful. I am also with the Halifax. So the only thing you cannot do with telephone banking is seeing a print out of your transactions and paying a cheque in. Also with either of them you cannot draw cash out.

How many times have you tried telephone banking during the pandemic ? I've spent 55-57 minutes trying to get through to Tesco banking on 4 occasions in the last month.

If its important ,the speed of mobile banking is far better, i can have done all my banking before i could have speed dialled the Halifax.

I can also do it whilst queuing in the supermarket - IF i was one of those people who struggles to know my bank balance day to day without checking (which i am).

I couldn't tell you all what you can and can't do as i've never phoned them up, but on the Halifax app for instance you can get an overdraft, a loan,payment holiday,a breakdown of all upcoming payments, in seconds.

I applied for a mortgage whilst sat in M&S having a coffee before the coronavirus.

34 minutes ago, pattricia said:

How do you draw out cash now? With an online or mobile a/c it is exactly the same, you go to an ATM or get cash back in a shop. There's no difference.

2 minutes ago, max said:

How do you draw out cash now? With an online or mobile a/c it is exactly the same, you go to an ATM or get cash back in a shop. There's no difference.

Or from a Post Office.

I use mobile banking all the time, to be honest I don't know how I managed without it :D Before I used Internet Banking. The only reason I speak to my bank on the phone are if they've decided to reject a transaction and 90% of the time that's automated checking.

2 hours ago, max said:

There are limits.

I was just thinking how good it would be if you tapped a few keys and a £20 note popped out of the bottom of your phone! 

Not going to happen in my lifetime...or ever.

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Or from a Post Office.

Very handy places. I never even considered that I could use a post office to pay cash into my bank account, but I can, it's very easy and near enough instant for the cash being in my account.

35 minutes ago, probedb said:

I use mobile banking all the time, to be honest I don't know how I managed without it :D Before I used Internet Banking. The only reason I speak to my bank on the phone are if they've decided to reject a transaction and 90% of the time that's automated checking.

Yes, a bit annoying if they stop a transaction and block your card. It doesn't happen very often and easy enough to sort. They say they are looking after our money, I think it's more a case of them looking after their money.

1 hour ago, zach said:

Very handy places. I never even considered that I could use a post office to pay cash into my bank account, but I can, it's very easy and near enough instant for the cash being in my account.

They are and also very few and far between.

17 hours ago, apelike said:

They are and also very few and far between.

Unfortunately, yes they are.