Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more
Sign in to follow this  

Online Banking.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Although I use my branch banks I decided to register with the online bank of one of them. The online form was a bit confusing but I managed to complete it and was accepted by email.

However Im still confused by the titles of : Password and Username. What is the difference between them ?

Edited by nikki-red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The username is you, eg. Pat1234 or your email address and then your password to gain access to your account. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, shepcanon said:

The username is you, eg. Pat1234 or your email address and then your password to gain access to your account. 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, depending on your bank, some send out an activation code in the post to you separately for security purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patricia, if you are ever in any doubt that an email is from your bank, don't click on it, and as an extra precaution, playing it very safe, if you get an email, even if it looks like it's from your bank, don't click on a link that leads to a site that looks like your bank's and requires you to put your username and password in.  If you wish to access your bank's site, do so by typing in the full name of the site, eg hsbc.co.uk every time and if someone contacts you about any account you might have, ask for the person's name and for a reference from them and tell them nothing except that you will call your bank.  Then, call up your bank, preferably from a landline and ask them if they have genuinely tried to contact you.  They will never mind you doing this.  Watch out for calls to your mobile because the pesky fraudsters can even disguise their number to make it look like they are phoning from your bank.  I'm sorry, I don't mean to worry you, or tell you stuff you may already know.  I just want to make sure that your money is safe.  If someone seems like they are hurrying you to do something, eg make an immediate transfer to keep your money safe (your bank would never do this) then it will be a scam.  If in doubt, put the phone down and phone your bank.  I'm sorry if you know this already and find this patronising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2020 at 14:27, pattricia said:

Although I use my branch banks I decided to register with the online bank of one of them. The online form was a bit confusing but I managed to complete it and was accepted by email.

However Im still confused by the titles of : Password and Username. What is the difference between them ?

Best just to see these as two unique-to-you identifiers. The username is more akin to your real name.

Each website seems to specify different requirements, often differing between the password and username.

 

Examples: just a set of numbers (might be any length)

or just a set of letters (ditto) with or without one in CAPITALS

or letters/numbers mixed

or ditto but with non-standard items such as ! £ $ % ^ etc.

 

Most online things nowadays demand two-part ID as a safeguard that the person signing-in is the real you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Best just to see these as two unique-to-you identifiers. The username is more akin to your real name.

Each website seems to specify different requirements, often differing between the password and username.

 

Examples: just a set of numbers (might be any length)

or just a set of letters (ditto) with or without one in CAPITALS

or letters/numbers mixed

or ditto but with non-standard items such as ! £ $ % ^ etc.

 

Most online things nowadays demand two-part ID as a safeguard that the person signing-in is the real you.

Thank you Jeffrey. That’s very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to try internet banking but am confused by username and password. I’ve filled the form up online and chosen a username but not a password. The bank itself has also send me a code through the post  but am confused by this. So can someone explain the difference between:

Username

Password

Code sent by my bank through the post

 

I would appreciate any help or advice on SF.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, pattricia said:

I’m going to try internet banking but am confused by username and password. I’ve filled the form up online and chosen a username but not a password. The bank itself has also send me a code through the post  but am confused by this. So can someone explain the difference between:

Username

Password

Code sent by my bank through the post

 

I would appreciate any help or advice on SF.

 

 

 

 

Username this is your unique name to set up / get into your account (so on this forum your username is pattricia)
 

Password: A Password you set up that should not be a password you use anywhere else and should have Capital Letters, numbers and special characters (i.e a + sign). (If you remember when you signed up to the forum, you will have set your own password)

Code from the bank - hard to say, but for the love of everything make sure you don't post that on here to anyone. I would guess it's something to either 1) set up your online account 2) to use if you contact them by phone. I would think each bank has their own system.

If you are unsure, contact your Bank directly.

Edited by Groose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When setting up some accounts you are supplied with a one time use password through the post. The first time you sign on you will be prompted to change this to something secure and memorable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to what Lex said - some people have been scammed over landlines. They call you, tell there's a problem and ask you to phone your bank.  You hang up but they don't and play a dial tone down the line. You think you've called your bank but you're still on the same conversation.

 

As regards the code from the bank it's hard to say as different banks use different systems.  HSBC you use a keypad, Coventry you have a little card where you look up a grid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RabM said:

As regards the code from the bank it's hard to say as different banks use different systems.  HSBC you use a keypad, Coventry you have a little card where you look up a grid. 

Good point.

 

I use HSBC but they discontinued the little device that looked like a small calculator. I generate the code via the mobile app now. Not that I ever use a browser, I found the app on my phone does all I need.

 

Did you get it sorted Pattricia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.