Crookes Endowed School

Whew ...I'm on a roll here. I wonder if there is anyone participating in this forum who was a past student of Crookes Endowed School - circa 1952-57?

Some of the kids I remember were Terry Severn, Colin Horsefield, Derek Bown, Raymond Jessup, John Beardshaw, Colin Beardshaw, Roger Steele, John Barron, Barry Alsop, Michael Frost, Raymond Needham ...oh, I could keep going.

Some of the teachers were Mr. Grant, Mr. Shaw, Mr. Harris, and Miss Ramsden. The principle's name was Mr. Glossop.

I realize that none of you are kids any more :hihi: but I still am - in my mind anyway. Does that suggest a problem that requires therapy? Anyway, love to hear from some or any of you. I was Rod, the good looking, academic, and talented one who was 'bussed in' each schoolday from Fulwood Cottage Homes which was later renamed Blackbrooke Mount.::heyhey:

Gday Rod, I remember you & was in the same class, I left Crookes when I was 12, now living in Oz, I thought you were too.

trevorpowell@aapt.net.au

Trevor.

Originally posted by skippy

Gday Rod, I remember you & was in the same class, I left Crookes when I was 12, now living in Oz, I thought you were too.

trevorpowell@aapt.net.au

Trevor.

Sure glad to hear from you, Skippy! ...as in bush kangaroo?

Yep, I'm in Townsville, Nth QLD. I'll be sending you an email shortly, Trev. Thanks for contacting me. :thumbsup:

interested to see this post.

The old Crookes Endowed school is now a part of St Thomas Church. My office is in this building and we do get some ex pupils coming for a look round the old place.

Broncolives, is the school closed down now ?

I'll drop in next time I'm over there, too cold at the moment.

Okay, okay ...I know that Crookes Endowed was probably not the best school in the world but most of you could read and write by the time you left ...couldn't you? :D

The building is now used for church activities. It's rooms can be hired from the church for community groups, meetings, parties etc.

Hey sputnickboy, our history has gone, will we be next ?

Now you should know why you never hear anything from the past students, exterminate, exterminate, Ha Ha.

Skip.

Hey sputnickboy, our history has gone, will we be next ?

Now you should know why you never hear anything from the past students, exterminate, exterminate, Ha Ha.

Skip.

I'm not so sure. Maybe the ghosts of some of the students still remain and walk the halls to keep the history alive. Oh my, the ghost of Miss Ramsden would be especially freaky ...particularly if she isn't dead yet.

By the way, skippy, do you still recall the names of Sherwood, Epping, Dean and Arden and what they represented? Can you apply the colors of blue, red, green and yellow to them?

I think they were forests Sput, I was in Sherwood & red.

I liked Miss Ramsden when I was in her class & thought she was quite sexy even at that young age, might have been something in the school dinners you reckon, Ha Ha.

I think they were forests Sput, I was in Sherwood & red.

I liked Miss Ramsden when I was in her class & thought she was quite sexy even at that young age, might have been something in the school dinners you reckon, Ha Ha.

Yes, they were - and are, I guess - forests. I seem to recall that I was in Epping and Blue. They were the four school 'houses' and one became quite loyal to their house simply by virtue of their being 'in it'.

Miss Ramsden 'quite sexy', you say? Well, I guess Popeye feels that way about Olive! :P Actually, I kinda liked her myself (Miss Ramsden, that is, not Olive Oil and also NOT in THAT way!) and I wonder if she's still among the living. She COULD be, I guess. There MUST be several 125 year-old ex-teachers who are still around. Just joshing! She COULD be about 80-ish if still alive, a similar age to the rest of the teachers. I'd really love to know who is still alive and coherent.

I fear that the principal, Mr. Glossop, may have joined the ranks of the deceased, but ...who knows? It's strange when young that anyone over 25 appears to be ancient. What would Mr. Glossop have been ...45 - 50 perhaps? I DO remember his humor during his speeches at assembly. I liked him and looked forward to them. Come to think of it, I don't recall any of the teachers being less than good. I guess they all had a bearing on my eventually being able to string a sentence together. I'm still not too brilliant at math, however. I wonder which one of them failed me there? Could be just me. :confused: :confused:

I did'nt go to Crookes endowed school, but I knew Barry Alsop. He lived in the same street . Barber place, Walkley.

Sputnikboy, there is a thread on Fulwood cottage homes.You might find some old friends there.

regards Pete

edit sorry got it wrong, it was Barry Haystrop that I knew.