Coronavirus

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I really wish we were testing more.

I don't get peoples obsession with testing. So someone has to "risk catching it" to test you? and waste resources that are better placed elsewhere? Just follow the guidance given by the government and if your symptoms don't improve or get worse, seek medical attention then, as also advised. It's not rocket science.

according to msn there have already been 174 cases in sheffield.

what i tend to ponder over is when they announce no. of deaths , does it include the no. of people who would have passed away anyway , if there was no corona virus.

or is it just the virus deaths,

and if we were to plot the no.'s on a graph and compared with this time last year, would there be a significant rise showing in the no's of deaths at this time

3 hours ago, nikki-red said:

Testing everyone would be pointless, the results can take over 24 hours. You could catch the virus straight after your swabs were sent off, then get a negative result.

Exactly, If you are working and out and about on unavoidable task's, are they going to test you everyday? the general public and Journalists seem obsessed with this.

25 minutes ago, taxman said:

I just feel a bit guilty for having been "working from home" since last Friday but I've been given a laptop with no encription fob.

Fine, I'm being paid to do jigsaws but I'd really much rather do the work I'm supposed to.

"Rather do the work I'm supposed to." 

Incapable of picking up a phone & asking for an encryption fob to be dropped off at your place? 

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

"Rather do the work I'm supposed to." 

Incapable of picking up a phone & asking for an encryption fob to be dropped off at your place? 

Having worked in big business, I'd bet a pound that it's already been requested and the request is slowly churning its way through procurement... 😂

31 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

I don't get peoples obsession with testing. So someone has to "risk catching it" to test you? and waste resources that are better placed elsewhere? Just follow the guidance given by the government and if your symptoms don't improve or get worse, seek medical attention then, as also advised. It's not rocket science.

The South Koreans tested more, got a better handle on it and have less deaths. It’s not because I like tests.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

The South Koreans tested more, got a better handle on it and have less deaths. It’s not because I like tests.

But there is no point, if you are ill and isolated at home, you aren't going to spread it to the wider public, if you do have it and any members of the same household catch it too they also aren't going to spread it to the wider public. That's if people stick to the guidelines which some people in this country seem to be struggling with.

1 hour ago, stylefree said:

according to msn there have already been 174 cases in sheffield.

what i tend to ponder over is when they announce no. of deaths , does it include the no. of people who would have passed away anyway , if there was no corona virus.

or is it just the virus deaths,

and if we were to plot the no.'s on a graph and compared with this time last year, would there be a significant rise showing in the no's of deaths at this time

There’s an article on the bbc about this.

youre right - there is an overlap. 

1500 people die every day in the Uk. 

it’s horrible talking about deaths as numbers but it’s true to say that if 150 people die tomorrow of coronavirus it’s a 10% increase of what would have happened anyway.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dardandec said:

It’s important because let’s say

you set off to work feeling ok and go through a drive thru test centre (like South Korea did in places).

you test positive so are sent home  for 14 days where hopefully you recover with no issues.

Or you don’t test and go to work and then start feeling a bit rough and maybe infect one other person - who goes back to their shared house with 5 other people - and passes it on to 2 of them etc 

testing means we know who’s got it and who hasn’t - absolutely vital.

it means people can go to work knowing they’ve not got it.

the biggest thing coming is the antibodies test which is imminent.People might  find out they’ve already had it and that changes everything.

Edited by makapaka

Serious and so VERY very sad. Urge anyone to read this link and take it in what it means.......what it really means.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52031539

I suspected this, around 3 or 4 weeks ago when a report online said that an Italian had their sister or  brother(sorry I forget which) who had Died from Corona Virus in the house for 2 or 3 days because the Funeral people wouldn't come....or couldn't get there (Isolation).....and it WASN'T an Isolated case either, ....NO Pun intended.

Having read the link, I'd suggest people take time to  think what it really means....if people are POWERLESS to do anything about this....or feel they have no choice but to accept this.

Suggest that the UK authorities could and very well SHOULD do more, now, in preparation for this.

It doesn't have to be this way, as people all present, could wear P.P.E. and be behind Glass or plastic screen...at a Hospital and/or Funeral Parlour, etc.

They DON'T HAVE  to breathe on or touch each other.....and numbers at a Cremation or Burial service could be restricted to maybe a Dozen or so/Twenty at tops, perhaps??

Doesn't take too much money, effort or imagination to put those kind of things into place....and apply common sense....but I very much DOUBT if either common sense or Compassion will be considered by the clearly Clueless authorities.

16 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Can you post a link to the source of that please?

That seems strange, and, a very bad idea. Do you have a link concerning the non collection of waste?

No. Sorry I don't have the link now, but it was a BBC News online feature, just a couple of days ago now, 23.3.2020....could be more scaremongering? but the non-collection of Green Gdn waste bins, at least, seems certain to (not) happen.!

Surely some more P.P.E. and Common b****y sense needs to kick in with the authorities now....getting way beyond a BAD joke...beyond even an extreme version of one of Basil Fawltys' Fawlty Towers cover-up attempts!!

6 hours ago, Padders said:

29th December I started feeling unwell, New Years Eve in bed by 8pm (and I love a drink) then started with burning eyes, sore throat, and a cough, what a cough, I was in agony every time I coughed, my back was killing me, struggled to get out of a chair. I was getting very worried I might need a walking stick (I'm elderly but very fit) it was that bad.. 12th of January thank god I was back to normal.

I put it down to Flu, but Iv'e had Flu before and some how this was different . now I'm beginning to wonder.. 

I think your timeline was too soon for COVID-19. It was mid February before we started getting confirmed cases over here.