Coronavirus

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Janus said:

Regarding the mask discussion, are the ones that Joe public can obtain the same quality as those used within the NHS? Maybe  one type offers much greater protection? 

Joe Public can (could) order anything up to full HAZMAT-grade coveralls, so the short answer is "it depends". I'd say right now, Joe Public would struggle to find any masks, to begin with.

The recommended healthcare-grade one (nursing, not operating/ICU) is the 'N95' type. I saw a report today, that the German army procurement had ordered 6 million units, but the shipment then 'got lost at a Kenyan airport' :|

A chinese client of mine offered last night to send us some PPE kit, including these N95 masks, for my colleagues and I. Snapped their hand off, as I have a couple colleagues living near the office, and shift-nipping in every day for basics (new post, faxes, any ad hoc maintenance).

Edited by L00b

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

If you have no noticeable fever or no dry non producing continuous cough then none of your symptoms appear to be anything related to the outbreak.

Just take the usual precautions you would do if you had any other type of cold or flu symptom.

I see no need for additional worries.

I have the flu jab. I've got what the rest of the house has got who haven't had the flu jab. I do the social distancing thing and have done for a while - the whole house is strict with it too.

But it's hard not to think "is this it?". Mother had similar symptoms yesterday and sounded awful but she is fit as a butcher's dog today.

So yeah, its a cold. ;)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, alandrea0 said:

Ok, so why do ALL medical staff wear them??? 

Why have ALL medical staff been complaining that they haven't got them???

Why have the government ordered millions to be distributed to all hospitals??

Is it because they do VERY LITTLE?  or do they help protect them?

As far as i am concerned every little bit of protection is helpful... because i care about others.

Last thing i want to do is cough in someones face, i would rather cough into a mask...

You've got part right, a mask on its own is really there to protect others from you breathing your germs on to others. 

A mask on its own won't fully prevent you catching the virus.  It can still get in through your eyes & other parts of your face are still exposed, which you may unconsciously / inadvertently touch, which you may retouch at a later stage, say when you get home & remove the mask? 

Also the medical staff in hospitals wear a lot more protective clothing than just a mask.  They will usually also have a full face visor as well. 

If you think that a face mask helps you, then you carry on wearing one.

However, bear the following in mind. 

1. The masks generally on have a useful life of a few hours. 

2. A number of hospital ICU staff both in the UK & across Europe, wearing full personal protection, far greater than just a mask, have not only been infected but have also died. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, croat77 said:

"Its just a flu", "It is conspiracy", "Blame free masons, Illuminati etc" 

Youv'e just confirmed who the idiots are,  :loopy:

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the coronavirus disease pandemic is "accelerating", with more than 300,000 cases now confirmed.

It took 67 days from the first reported of Covid-19 to reach 100,000 cases, 11 days for the second 100,000, and just four days for the third 100,000.

But WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said it was still possible to "change the trajectory".

Source BBC news.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Daven said:

I am a Registered Nurse. I work in the largest hospital in Sheffield.

I would love to be able to lockdown at home with my loved ones.

But I will be going to work every day and doing my job to the best of my ability.

It was my choice 42 years ago to be a nurse but I  never expected this situation. I don't expect special treatment - just an appreciation of what all health care professionals will be risking by doing their job every day over the next few months. Not just nurses and doctors but lab techs, porters, domestic and catering staff and clerical workers.

No one knows how ill they will be when they get this virus - and most people WILL get this virus as nobody has immunity. It's just a matter of when.

Please do as you are asked and STAY AT HOME. It really isn't such a hardship is it  ?

I won't be posting again

Best wishes to you all.

I have shut my shop (to callers) and we've agreed to only have one member of staff in each day, furthermore the carriers have changed their collection procedures so infection is unlikely in that direction.

However,  we are still trading by mail order.

Bearing the above in mind, what possible advantage is there in me completely closing my business and thus costing the country even more money ?

Edited by Justin Smith

Been shopping on The Moor today.  People still walking about in small groups, (3's & 4's), couples walking hand in hand.  However, there is a noticible police presence. 

Heard one member of staff talking to a customer & saying police had been questioning / enquiring of a number of people as to why they were out & about?

Best thing I heard was someone say, that would make a good slogan; 

"Six feet apart or six feet under?  Your choice?" 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, L00b said:

We went on those measures at the same time and, from this morning's news, we may have broken the back of the infection's spread: yesterday was the 2nd day of decreasing new infections.

(records start 01/03, 0 or 1 new case per day until 12/03 where it jumped to 19 new cases, then +12 on 13/03, +13 on 14/03, +26 on 15/03)

16/03: 4 new cases

17/03: 59 new cases

18/03: 63 new cases

19/03: 132 new cases

20/03: 149 new cases

21/03: 186 new cases

22/03: 128 new cases

23/03: 77 new cases

then again, might be a false positive like 16/03 was. Today's stats by close of government business will be instructive.

Those figures (for "new cases") are rubbish, but, paradoxically, in an encouraging way, because the quoted death rate will be accurate. Well actually the latter may well be overstated * but let's not spend too much time on that. 

Consider :

I feel like I’ve got a cold coming on (that ominous slight earache I often get as a precursor…..) but even if it does come on pretty badly, how do I know if it’s this Coronavirus ? Do the Govt want to test me I asked myself ? So I looked for advice from the Govt website and this is it :

Q - Will my household be tested if we think we have coronavirus symptoms?

A - Testing for coronavirus is not needed if you’re staying at home.

So, all these statistics they’re coming out with about so many confirmed cases and the number of deaths (and almost everyone will divide one by the other, and get worried) are total ballcox. I’d be surprised if the actual number of cases isn’t 10x the figure quoted (possibly much more) , and therefore the crude death rate (which most people will have sub consciously calculated) is hugely inflated.

* because it assumes everyone has died "of" coronavirus, as opposed to "with" coronavirus. That will be statistically significant because most deaths of people with Coronavirus involve people with pre existing medical conditions.

Edited by Justin Smith

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Those figures (for "new cases") are rubbish, but, paradoxically, in an encouraging way, because the quoted death rate will be accurate. Well actually the latter may well be overstated * but let's not spend too much time on that. 

Consider :

I feel like I’ve got a cold coming on (that ominous slight earache I often get as a precursor…..) but even if it does come on pretty badly, how do I know if it’s this Coronavirus ? Do the Govt want to test me I asked myself ? So I looked for advice from the Govt website and this is it :

Q - Will my household be tested if we think we have coronavirus symptoms?

A - Testing for coronavirus is not needed if you’re staying at home.

So, all these statistics they’re coming out with about so many confirmed cases and the number of deaths (and almost everyone will divide one by the other, and get worried) are total ballcox. I’d be surprised if the actual number of cases isn’t 10x the figure quoted (possibly much more) , and therefore the crude death rate (which most people will have sub consciously calculated) is hugely inflated.

* because it assumes everyone has died "of" coronavirus, as opposed to "with" coronavirus. That will be statistically significant because most deaths of people with Coronavirus involve people with pre existing medical conditions.

Those figures were not UK.

They're the official figures for Luxembourg, where everyone suspecting infection and requesting a test from their GP, everyone hospitalised with symptoms suggesting infection, and everyone working in healthcare, is getting tested, and the test results are all fed back to the Health Ministry for tracing (the first few confirmed cases between 29 Feb and 8 March were all linked with either northern Italy or Alsace, the following new cases on 10 March were linked with the US and Switzerland), with a "warts-an-all" daily report-briefing by our Health Minister every evening.

We have 875 confirmed cases, 10 confirmed recoveries and 8 deaths, as of yesterday (not sure whether the 875 includes those few we recently imported from neighbouring France, to lend them an ICU hand as hospitals there are struggling bad).

You can opine as you wish about the UK figures of course, and hypothesize between confirmed and estimated case figures. But there's little point in drawing parallels between the UK, 65m people and...questionable...practices for testing, tracing and statistical releasing, and our tiny country of 600k people where everyone and their pet dog gets tested and history-tracked over the past 3 months for the lightest of coughs.

Edited by L00b

Day 2 of trying to get info from Sainsburys, on one 0800 number. I've given up trying to get a delivery arranged for a 93 year old, housebound widow who apparently doesn't fit their criteria, so all I'm trying to find out is what form of ID - if any - is required for a younger-than-70 year old to go and collect provisions during the "vulnerable people" hour from 8 a.m. on a Wednesday or Friday.

I had the bright idea to phone my local branch, but guess what? Recorded message, saying all busy..... Bloody annoying.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Day 2 of trying to get info from Sainsburys, on one 0800 number. I've given up trying to get a delivery arranged for a 93 year old, housebound widow who apparently doesn't fit their criteria, so all I'm trying to find out is what form of ID - if any - is required for a younger-than-70 year old to go and collect provisions during the "vulnerable people" hour from 8 a.m. on a Wednesday or Friday.

I had the bright idea to phone my local branch, but guess what? Recorded message, saying all busy..... Bloody annoying.

Why not just do a normal shop instead of just the 8am slot? I will be doing one tomorrow, sod that bit about doing it at 8am as I don't get up till 10... 

Edited by apelike

And this is why no one knows what to believe/do/who to listen to...

2 papers, both posted articles within 2 hours of each other...

One reads: "Coronavirus deaths rising faster in UK than Italy"

The other reads: "On Monday, a new analysis of data from both countries showed that deaths may indeed be rising marginally more slowly in Britain than they did in Italy."

The Telegraph and The Guardian....

is there any wonder people are loosing trust in news outlets, and confused about info... :|