Coronavirus

8 minutes ago, Padders said:

27,820 people were seriously injured on British Roads last year.

1782 were killed.

Wonder if that figure will fall dramatically now these measures are announced.

Well, things will surely change.

Also reading pollution levels are down in China and NY, canals in Italy are clear and appear fresher.

Maybe this was nature's way of saying- SLOW DOWN. ENOUGH.

19 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

I suggest you read page 11 of The Times, that's The Times, not the Daily Express or The Daily Mail......

Particularly as quite a few, the majority in fact, sell food......

I get it. I understand it. Idiots - those up Snowdonia or skeggy this weekend do not.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

This seems pretty clear:

That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

• shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible

• one form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household;

• any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and

• travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.

That’s all – these are the only reasons you should leave your home.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/23/boris-johnsons-address-to-the-nation-in-full

Wow - it took a whole week for somebody in government to translate what Macron announced here in France last Monday 😎

Edited by Longcol

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you appear to be saying facts are "dangerous".

It's about statistics.

I'm only responding to your post because long time member.  I would have skipped past it if social media.

I'm not discussing this any more though with you.

You should watch the links posted earlier, but now lost in this,

I'll link in @Daven as he/she posted a good link earlier about the virus. and worth reminding.

29 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

All you need is a browser :)

Governments trialed, decided it was a good idea and then failed to set up an emergency alert system.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/government-ignored-advice-set-up-uk-emergency-alert-system

It was noted on a couple of radio programs today that the government could quite easily taken adverts in print media and fairly quickly put together a tv and radio campaign, like they did for something else. 

All you needed in the past, was a radio and what time to listen to it. Surely with modern society and internet, this would be easier now? It isn't.

or someone with access to a radio, and knew to listen to a certain time.

What is there now? (and repeat, I know links and been watching this since before daytime news) but there is no central point to info, that everyone knows.

Someone (could have been you or one of 2 others) who said watch TV from 4pm tp 6pm for announcements. I don't want to watch TV for 2 hours! I'm socially distancing myself from hours of people asking questions like 'how long until schools open?) and half an hour on it.

anyway,  I'm stressed enough as others. My income has stopped. The links I've tried put me in a loop, that I posted about ages ago, and I'll find the link... same as before. I don't have a passport or birth certificate so I can't pass any tests online that prove I am real.

I don't want to argue with member like you others who I like reading @ECCOnoob

Edited by *_ash_*

Posted (edited)

I am a Registered Nurse. I work in the largest hospital in Sheffield.

I would love to be able to lockdown at home with my loved ones.

But I will be going to work every day and doing my job to the best of my ability.

It was my choice 42 years ago to be a nurse but I  never expected this situation. I don't expect special treatment - just an appreciation of what all health care professionals will be risking by doing their job every day over the next few months. Not just nurses and doctors but lab techs, porters, domestic and catering staff and clerical workers.

No one knows how ill they will be when they get this virus - and most people WILL get this virus as nobody has immunity. It's just a matter of when.

Please do as you are asked and STAY AT HOME. It really isn't such a hardship is it  ?

I won't be posting again

Best wishes to you all.

Edited by Daven

What do you mean "and everyone WILL get this virus" 

6 minutes ago, Daven said:

But I will be going to work every day and doing my job to the best of my ability.

It was my choice 42 years ago to be a nurse I but never expected this situation. I don't expect special treatment - just an appreciation of what all health care professionals will be risking by doing their job every day over the next few months.

No one knows how ill they will be when they get this virus - and everyone WILL get this virus as nobody has immunity.

Please do as you are asked and STAY AT HOME. It really isn't such a hardship is it ?

Best wishes to you all.

Well done Daven  we need and are grateful  for people like you.

3 minutes ago, Daven said:

It was my choice 42 years ago to be a nurse I but never expected this situation. I don't expect special treatment - just an appreciation of what all health care professionals will be risking by doing their job every day over the next few months.

No one knows how ill they will be when they get this virus - and everyone WILL get this virus as nobody has immunity. It's just a matter of when.

Please do as you are asked and STAY AT HOME. It really isn't such a hardship is it ?

Best wishes to you all.

The very least that any of us can do is to strictly observe the government guidelines and the requirements of our employers.

Our gratitude is due to all those deemed essential workers .Obviously medical and care workers who are on the front line,but also the many who are required to maintain essential supply chains and the end outlets.

So whilst staying at home spare a thought and prayer for those who cannot.

Why are Royal Mail sending their postmen / women out to deliver pizza leaflets and other junk mail. I feel sorry for their employees, they've no hand sanitizer and nowhere to wash their hands while out on their rounds. My postmen are still travelling 2 per van. I can understand them being committed to delivering mail but that should be all. More people are staying at home and spending their time ordering on line which is putting more pressure on the postie's. Like all key workers they should be treated with more care.

3 minutes ago, Rollypolly said:

Why are Royal Mail sending their postmen / women out to deliver pizza leaflets and other junk mail. I feel sorry for their employees, they've no hand sanitizer and nowhere to wash their hands while out on their rounds. My postmen are still travelling 2 per van. I can understand them being committed to delivering mail but that should be all. More people are staying at home and spending their time ordering on line which is putting more pressure on the postie's. Like all key workers they should be treated with more care.

the post men/woman get paid extra for delivering pizza leaflets etc , they can refuse to take/post them, its there choice.

38 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

.....watch TV from 4pm tp 6pm for announcements. I don't want to watch TV for 2 hours! I'm socially distancing myself from hours of people asking questions like 'how long until schools open?) and half an hour on it.

@ECCOnoob

Agree about the inane questions.

One this morning was "Not all footpaths are 2 metres wide. What's the advice if someone's walking towards you?"

They chose to spend a couple of minutes actually bothering to answer it.

9 minutes ago, Daven said:

It was my choice 42 years ago to be a nurse but I  never expected this situation. I don't expect special treatment - just an appreciation of what all health care professionals will be risking by doing their job every day over the next few months. Not just nurses and doctors but lab techs, porters, domestic and catering staff and clerical workers.

No one knows how ill they will be when they get this virus - and most people WILL get this virus as nobody has immunity. It's just a matter of when.

Please do as you are asked and STAY AT HOME. It really isn't such a hardship is it  ?

I won't be posting again

Best wishes to you all.

It's interesting to see how things go in something like this.

Most apocalyptic books or films show chaos, 

but considering the last few months, I think things are being generally handled far better than I would expected... and perhaps that's why people aren't taking it seriously. . which is perhaps a lesson for future.  as same in USA now outside big cities.

(for me not only am I high risk/lost my income/but also lost any chance of selling my unfinished book!,  as about 30% of is about society and how it works - all now yesterday's news! :hihi: however luckily most I posted online in 2011 before thinking of typing it up, so I can claim some good predictions.

However @Daven, people aren't listening to advice, and other countries like USA I chat to regularly my friend there, and they have no idea how serious it is - in small towns (Rotherham type size*), they are weeks behind us with info, and it's already in towns close to them. Only big cities are doing anything.

But some people either haven't got advice, or not followed it, so it continues.  I've spent an hour tonight looking through my links list and others from members here.  and urged them to share the links.  It's not much, but they are miles behind us.

-

I don't like posts earlier saying Tories did this killing NHS type things, hence I've almost isolated from the internet.

-

Don't be upset with some comments. You post good advice.

To be fair , this is worldwide chaos (not only the virus but the financial concerns because almost everyone is out of work), and surprised how reasonable things are.

-

Difficult to predict things now, but delivering food (non frozen or chilled) could become an issue, and I know 3500 out of work taxi drivers ,and could round up potential delivery of things, (would need the council to relax some operator license and possible insurances issues) but rules changes quickly.

-

I won't thank you Daven, as I don't like being thanked for doing job, but , people need to help the situation.

STAY AT HOME

*attempt to inject some humour to our Rotherham friends :)

4 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Agree about the inane questions.

One this morning was "Not all footpaths are 2 metres wide. What's the advice if someone's walking towards you?"

They chose to spend a couple of minutes actually bothering to answer it.

Yes, hence my isolating from news and social media.

I used to just look at top 10 bbc pages everyday. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/popular/read

and only use facebook for chat with few people.

-