Coronavirus

24 minutes ago, YourTech said:

Do I go into work tomorrow or is it merely a suggestion that I do not?!

It depends what your work is I guess.

Just now, YourTech said:

Should not work unless is it cannot be done from home

That is my ambiguity.

Can you work from home?

I really don't see what's ambiguous....

1 minute ago, YourTech said:

Should not go to work unless is it cannot be done from home

That is my ambiguity.

This is something I've been wondering. For example the company I work for relies heavy on deliveries from outside suppliers of raw materials and supplies to keep it running, whilst it's not a key industry some of the work can be done from home the physical labour can't... but it isn't a business outlined in the key industries. 

16 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

This seems pretty clear:

That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

• shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible

• one form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household;

• any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and

• travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.

That’s all – these are the only reasons you should leave your home.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/23/boris-johnsons-address-to-the-nation-in-full

see, same as yesterday, I said this andy.

This was 45 mins ago, should we all have the Guardian app? as that seems best?

I'm not going to go over it again, but this was 1 hour on LBC today about how info is shared and we don't seem to have it here. NZ seems to have a good grasp on it, as someone pointed out to me on another forum. 1 website, advertised everywhere. basically the same our our gov.uk/coron one.

Latest info could be put first before all adverts for example.

but still, then when watching news at 5pm waiting for PM, this was a story too. Same message, that people aren't seeing the latest news and advice which changes by the day.

I'm trying to show that so much info, is confusing, whereas in past, 1 place (example 2nd world war, everyone turned radio on at certain time)

now, we all use different sites, some not at all

I've just tried to email link my USA friend who outside small cities are still mingling freely, even though a few cases, and it potentially catastrophic.

Anyway, this is yesterday's news now. I'm generally trying to be one step ahead of things.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Time to be positive......

1 - For those of us with kids, a MASSIVE positive. No children, have died from this anywhere in the world. People's instinct to protect their kids would be in overdrive if children were in danger, mine certainly would be, and, quite literally, society could be breaking down.

2 - They will get a vaccine for this even if it takes a year or so to produce.

3 - There are promising trials of pre-existing drugs and combinations of drugs (i.e. already tested and on the market) which may combat the virus, i.e. lower the death rate and decrease the length of time people would need to stay in hospital. Some expert in infectious diseases (on the BBC the other day) was estimating these drugs could come into use by April. If they get the death rate down sufficiently most of these restrictions of the economy and society could be relaxed (excepting vulnerable groups ? ).

4 - The death rate is, on average, about 1%, and far less for non vulnerable groups. Just think how bad it would be if 10% were dying, or 20%......

Just read an article in today's Times (page 11).

Latest research indicates that the death rate from this virus is probably 0.1 to 0.2 percent, not 1 percent.

This is for two main reasons :

1 - The statistics quoted are for those diagnosed as having the virus. They take no account of the far higher number who have never been diagnosed. Figures from China indicate that around a third of those who have had the coronavirus have no symptoms at all. Many more have mild symptoms and don't actually know if they've had the virus or just a cold. Many who are fairly sure they've had the virus haven't told the authorities they've had it, they've just recovered and got on with it.

2 - The "vast majority" of those who die have underlying medical conditions, yet, certainly in Italy (which reports one of the highest rates of death), anyone who dies whilst infected by the virus is being recorded as dying from coronavirus, as opposed to with coronavirus.

This brings into stark relief the latest Govt measures, which I believe are going too far. Protect the vulnerable of course, but shagging up the economy for a problem which is far less likely to kill the average person than an operation is crazy. I think people should get a sense of proportion about the relative risk of death in this life...….

Edited by Justin Smith

Will petrol stations remain open?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

This brings into stark relief the latest Govt measures, which I believe are going too far. Protect the vulnerable of course, but shagging up the economy for a problem which is far less likely to kill a fit person than an operation is crazy. I think people should get a sense of proportion about the relative risk of death in this life...….

I think this bit ruins any of the positively you tried to raise.

I'm not sure what your message is here, the economy is <removed> worldwide, and we all know this.

I think this is dangerous info really, and why we now in lockdown.

Edited by nikki-red

27,820 people were seriously injured on British Roads last year.

1782 were killed.

Wonder if that figure will fall dramatically now these measures are announced.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I think this bit ruins any of the positively you tried to raise.

I'm not sure what your message is here, the economy is ****ed worldwide, and we all know this.

I think this is dangerous info really, and why we now in lockdown.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you appear to be saying facts are "dangerous".

It's about statistics. Statistically I would be at about a 1 in 100 chance of dying from the virus if I caught it, assuming I haven't already had it of course. But I'm not stupid enough to think I would not die, I may do, but the risk has to balanced against the effects of what the Govt are doing. The extra stress of all this may already be shortening my life, and I'm only half joking...…. What is certain is some people will die of something else who would not because of this virus, I'm prepared to bet you there are people out there now who are not visiting their doctors for stuff which they would do normally, which will turn into serious stuff which will kill them. If the economy is massively affected the NHS will suffer severely and people will die because of that. There's a balance to be struck.

Edited by Justin Smith

2 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you appear to be saying facts are "dangerous".

Interpretation of those facts are very dangerous. 

4 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

see, same as yesterday, I said this andy.

This was 45 mins ago, should we all have the Guardian app? as that seems best?

All you need is a browser :)

4 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I'm not going to go over it again, but this was 1 hour on LBC today about how info is shared and we don't seem to have it here. NZ seems to have a good grasp on it, as someone pointed out to me on another forum. 1 website, advertised everywhere. basically the same our our gov.uk/coron one.

Governments trialed, decided it was a good idea and then failed to set up an emergency alert system.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/government-ignored-advice-set-up-uk-emergency-alert-system

It was noted on a couple of radio programs today that the government could quite easily taken adverts in print media and fairly quickly put together a tv and radio campaign, like they did for something else. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Interpretation of those facts are very dangerous. 

I suggest you read page 11 of The Times, that's The Times, not the Daily Express or The Daily Mail......

10 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Will petrol stations remain open?

Particularly as quite a few, the majority in fact, sell food......

Edited by Justin Smith