Coronavirus

10 minutes ago, desy said:

Who do you feel gives a better and understandable on the present understanding of the situation and restrictions.

Boris Johnson or Nicola Sturgeon

Nicola Sturgeon has a Scottish accent and talks too quickly, but she has an element of humanity within her that I am grateful for.

BoJo is trying to behave like a Prime Minister.  Finally.  Sadly, he's desperately trying to unite a society that he himself has spent years trying to divide, and we're all paying the price.

The most statesmanlike performance I've seen is definitely from the Trumpet, who answered a difficult questions with a direct insult:

Trump throws tantrum over coronavirus question: 'You're a terrible reporter'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/20/trump-coronavirus-question-attack-reporter-over-fears

25 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

That's paid for site., and you have to google it. How many people know about this resource? - this pretty much means no one sees this, other than Guardian readers.

The guardian isn't a paid for site. All content is freely available.

Obviously, they would like people to pay as that keeps them in business but  you dont have too if you dont want too.

25 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Also not all people are tech savvy. Googling things on phones you mean?

where did I mention phones?

14 minutes ago, desy said:

Who do you feel gives a better and understandable on the present understanding of the situation and restrictions.

Boris Johnson or Nicola Sturgeon

Well watching Sturgeon this afternoon, I like the fact that she was clear & direct in her message & telling it like it is.  

There were a small number of pubs still opening; her message & that of the Scottish Police was, don't comply & we'll shut you down. 

Also liked her continually driving home the fact that this virus will kill many more without the social distancing & self-isolation. 

13 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Nicola Sturgeon has a Scottish accent and talks too quickly, but she has an element of humanity within her that I am grateful for.

BoJo is trying to behave like a Prime Minister.  Finally.  Sadly, he's desperately trying to unite a society that he himself has spent years trying to divide, and we're all paying the price.

Bozo actually sounded rather good today, he seem's to have lost the smirk and sense on entitlement. Still looks like a two year old toddler who has just been told to get of out of bed though.

2 minutes ago, taxman said:

Bozo actually sounded rather good today, he seem's to have lost the smirk and sense on entitlement. Still looks like a two year old toddler who has just been told to get of out of bed though.

Spot on.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

just out of interest,

what do people here use for latest info?

I luckily caught the 5.10pm one,

where would this info be available for everyone, without watching hours of crap on bbc, or googling news stories.

The latest government update isn't hard to find online - search for "iplayer news coronavirus" and it's the first link.

32 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I'm not going to argue.

We seem to be on different things here.

I don't mean I want the latest death stats, or who they are or where.

I mean I want to be able to click on something - like a gov app, (since there apps for everything) I've said this earlier.

-

Things are changing fast. I want to know the latest advice.

Do you know what it is?

Keep a distance of two metres  apart, not that anyone seems to take notice, and don't hog all the grub, not much else to add really is there, you could wear a goldfish bowl on your head, a hazmat suit and wellies, but may not be practical, failing that enjoy the ride and hope you survive.

25 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

The guardian isn't a paid for site. All content is freely available.

Obviously, they would like people to pay as that keeps them in business but  you dont have too if you dont want too.

where did I mention phones?

ok even if free is that where everyone should go?

I thought some tech head on the internet would easily be able to build a live app for mobiles, which would give instant info to every person with a mobile. which must be almost everyone.

-

Latest info post, I would put this up.

because people aren't listening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51998559

I'm not arguing with you as I generally I read your posts when others I might skip. I'm in no mood for argument.

2 minutes ago, altus said:

The latest government update isn't hard to find online - search for "iplayer news coronavirus" and it's the first link.

Do you know any neighbours who are elderly?

would you give them this advice?

The fact that there is even more than one response to my question shows what I'm trying to point out.

No daily annoucement at set times. No easy to find info (unless intereneters like me and the others that reply)

Which app to get?

Potentially an APP that was advertised on tv, with latest government advice, everyone would get, and could get latest info.

You might want to watch news all day., I don't. I want to know the situation and what I should do. If everyone had this info, and obviously some won't heed it, at least fewer can say they didn't know.

-

13 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Do you know any neighbours who are elderly?

would you give them this advice?

The fact that there is even more than one response to my question shows what I'm trying to point out.

No daily annoucement at set times. No easy to find info (unless intereneters like me and the others that reply)

Which app to get?

Potentially an APP that was advertised on tv, with latest government advice, everyone would get, and could get latest info.

You might want to watch news all day., I don't. I want to know the situation and what I should do. If everyone had this info, and obviously some won't heed it, at least fewer can say they didn't know.

You seem to have decided that an app is the solution and won't accept that any other suggestions may have any validity.

You're ignoring the fact that many of the people who you claim can't search for things on the net are also the people who don't have smartphones because they are too complicated, the text is too small, they don't have proper buttons, etc. and don't have apps.

That's before you get into issues of which versions of mobile OSs to support, people living in areas of poor/no mobile coverage, etc.

How is your suggestion of producing multiple apps (because you'll need to support at least iOS and Android) any better than telling people to go to the government's coronavirus advice web page at https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

A possibility but as no post-mortem was carried out on the dog from Hong the evidence is inconclusive? 

https://time.com/5805524/hong-kong-dog-dies-after-coronavirus-quarantine/

On 21/03/2020 at 20:31, altus said:

Thankyou.That's a relief! Grateful for the information. Thankyou both.

Should I be concerned about pets or other animals and COVID-19?

While this virus seems to have emerged from an animal source, it is now spreading from person-to-person in China. There is no reason to think that any animals including pets in the United States might be a source of infection with this new coronavirus. To date, CDC has not received any reports of pets or other animals becoming sick with COVID-19. At this time, there is no evidence that companion animals including pets can spread COVID-19. However, since animals can spread other diseases to people, it’s always a good idea to wash your hands after being around animals. For more information on the many benefits of pet ownership, as well as staying safe and healthy around animals including pets, livestock, and wildlife, visit CDC’s Healthy Pets, Healthy People website.