Coronavirus

4 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Yup...and let my housebound 93 year-old mother-in-law starve to death.

As simple and stark as that?

I feel your pain. My 93 year old Dad lives alone. Just made my first delivery of a few bits and pieces he needed. Left it on the front step and backed away. He wanted me to come in for a quick cup of tea but l couldn't. Just left him standing there and felt awful. 

He's sensible, independent and relatively capable, but still needs the one thing I can't give him....  company.  

Horrible for those of us who live alone like |Me|..

Just to get the Basics from the shop is now impossible.

Newspaper cut into squares hanged on a piece of rope...Oh the good old times...!

Having an INSIDE bog is a bonus though...Ha!.

29 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I feel your pain. My 93 year old Dad lives alone. Just made my first delivery of a few bits and pieces he needed. Left it on the front step and backed away. He wanted me to come in for a quick cup of tea but l couldn't. Just left him standing there and felt awful. 

He's sensible, independent and relatively capable, but still needs the one thing I can't give him....  company.  

Talking to mother on the phone and will run across provisions as necessary - at distance. But this isn't for a week, this is for months and it's hard but absolutely vital, certainly when you have crowds of people everywhere (STILL! MORONS!) spreading god knows what to everyone.

47 minutes ago, Anna B said:

But the one thing you WON'T give him is coronavirus.

It's tough love and very upsetting but it's really got to happen. It's not forever.

Take care everyone.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

Can you link to the article and not just to rubbish tweets?

Here's the original article, behind a paywall (so I haven't read it):

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-ten-days-that-shook-britain-and-changed-the-nation-for-ever-spz6sc9vb

The government are vehemently denying it.  [Remembering Yes, Minister, does that mean it must be true?]

The denial is covered in the following article, from which you can also infer roughly what was said in the first one:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/22/no-10-denies-claim-dominic-cummings-argued-to-let-old-people-die

Both articles are (or seem to be) really talking about the sudden change of plan from 'herd immunity' to 'lockdown' following the publication of the Imperial College report - from (something like) 'mitigation' to 'suppression', in the terms of the paper.

As I've mentioned before, the 'herd immunity' strategy was always going to involve a very large number of people dying, both directly and as a result of the health services being swamped.  There's nothing controversial about that.  See the following article from a few days ago, which makes a very strong case for the suppression strategy:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

[He's actually a bit harsh on the Imperial report, I think - their 'adaptive trigger' strategy is basically the same as his 'hammer and dance', though perhaps they didn't give it enough emphasis.  Here is the Imperial report, for reference:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

The 'adaptive trigger' is discussed round about page 12.]

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Talking to mother on the phone and will run across provisions as necessary - at distance. But this isn't for a week, this is for months and it's hard but absolutely vital, certainly when you have crowds of people everywhere (STILL! MORONS!) spreading god knows what to everyone.

It doesn't necessarily have to be for months.  Given that the disease runs its course in a few weeks, you can get it under control if you maintain near-complete isolation for about that length of time, or a bit longer to be on the safe side.  That's what happened in Wuhan.

The longer you leave it before you implement the lockdown, and the less complete the lockdown, the worse the outbreak will be - let's hope they haven't already left it too late in the UK, and that the measures go far enough.  [In particular, I think, home delivery of essentials needs to be getting organised on a vastly bigger scale, again as happened in Wuhan.]

Of course you're not out of the woods after initially getting it under control, you still need to test and track, and further lockdowns might be needed down the line.  But at the very least it buys you time to develop vaccines and treatments, as the 'hammer and dance' article I linked to just now argues.

Edited by CaptainSwing

The Government are setting up a system where those who are most vulnerable to the virus and are isolating for 12 weeks (over 70s, people under 70 with specific health conditions) will be able to register to receive support from the Government such as getting hold of essential supplies.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

10 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

It doesn't necessarily have to be for months.  Given that the disease runs its course in a few weeks, you can get it under control if you maintain near-complete isolation for about that length of time, or a bit longer to be on the safe side.  That's what happened in Wuhan.

The longer you leave it before you implement the lockdown, and the less complete the lockdown, the worse the outbreak will be - let's hope they haven't already left it too late in the UK, and that the measures go far enough.  [In particular, I think, home delivery of essentials needs to be getting organised on a vastly bigger scale, again as happened in Wuhan.]

Of course you're not out of the woods after initially getting it under control, you still need to test and track, and further lockdowns might be needed down the line.  But at the very least it buys you time to develop vaccines and treatments, as the 'hammer and dance' article I linked to just now argues.

Thanks for that Captain, a sensible glimmer of hope among all the gloom and doom. 

11 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

The Government are setting up a system where those who are most vulnerable to the virus and are isolating for 12 weeks (over 70s, people under 70 with specific health conditions) will be able to register to receive support from the Government such as getting hold of essential supplies.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

Thanks FG, that's really good news.

On 21/03/2020 at 15:53, Padders said:

How bad is that Bob, the stinking evil low life, makes my blood boil.. what a shame we have to breath the same air that scum.

Look after her Bob, your doing a grand job.

Yeah its bad. It was heartbreaking to see her plight and its given her a terrible lesson in trusting too much. She seems a plucky old girl though and a real inspiration.  We will be taking her a hot meal shortly and ive managed to rustle up a few more supplies so should be ok in the short term and she has now made a few new friends so hopefully she can put this behind her.

Bob.

just out of interest,

what do people here use for latest info?

I luckily caught the 5.10pm one,

where would this info be available for everyone, without watching hours of crap on bbc, or googling news stories.

42 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

just out of interest,

what do people here use for latest info?

I luckily caught the 5.10pm one,

where would this info be available for everyone, without watching hours of crap on bbc, or googling news stories.

it will be available all over. the guardian live feed covers it, i imagine all the others do too and given the time is more or less fixed you don't actually have to watch a great deal of non-press conference content if you don't want too.