Coronavirus

1 minute ago, alchresearch said:

I hate to bring cultural stereotyping into it, but could there be a link?  Germany is often referred to as rigid and regimental.  Are their people just following guidelines to the letter?

Italy always strikes me as a pretty laid back country, certainly when it comes to following rules and paying, and now their death toll is higher than China's.

Is China's strict ruling partly the reason?

As for the UK, although we're panic buying, we are quietly queuing like decent Englishfolk! (until the doors open)

THis is precisely why what's happening is happening.  The countries that are getting it under control - Korea, Germany, China, Singapore etc - have strong cultural traits of discipline, either imposed on them (in the case of China) or ingrained in the national psyche (like Singapore and Germany).

My GF lives in HK.  After a bad January, she says things have calmed down massively and people are starting to go about their normal life.  Offices are open, public transport is fine and shops are all open.

3 minutes ago, bendix said:

THis is precisely why what's happening is happening.  The countries that are getting it under control - Korea, Germany, China, Singapore etc - have strong cultural traits of discipline, either imposed on them (in the case of China) or ingrained in the national psyche (like Singapore and Germany).

My GF lives in HK.  After a bad January, she says things have calmed down massively and people are starting to go about their normal life.  Offices are open, public transport is fine and shops are all open.

They showed Hong Kong on the news. It said they had learnt lessons from the SARS virus.  Also nearly everyone seen is wearing a mask.

4 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

And he was just quoting a book called bLack Sawn which was out in early 2008.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

I hate to bring cultural stereotyping into it, but could there be a link?  Germany is often referred to as rigid and regimental.  Are their people just following guidelines to the letter?

Italy always strikes me as a pretty laid back country, certainly when it comes to following rules and paying, and now their death toll is higher than China's.

Is China's strict ruling partly the reason?

As for the UK, although we're panic buying, we are quietly queuing like decent Englishfolk! (until the doors open)

Yes and yes. The team from the Chinese red cross are bewildered on how lax the Italians are in Milan - no masks, no social distancing, people meeting in hotels etc. In Wuhan* you didn't have that luxury. You coughed in public and you were quarantined quickly. That was state enforced it. In be many they are testing more - plus they have  closed schools, banned mass gatherings - and followed instructions. We are still "I'm alright jack". Alot of pubs are still busy. 

We will end up with the highest mortality rate in Europe by a country mile.

* autocorrect kept changing Wuhan to Wigan!

Edited by tinfoilhat

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

We will end up with the highest mortality rate in Europe by a country mile.

I think we'll be up there, certainly.  The government will mask it though by not testing properly and then blaming our high mortality rate on low testing and generally hiding the real extent of the damage. There'll be a media blackout on covering the real extent of the deaths. 

I'm already becoming slightly perplexed by some of the media coverage of this. Where's the footage of UK intensive care units? Where is the footage of patients in intensive care with severe symptoms? Where are the interviews with the families of patients who have passed away? I'm not morbid or wanting an excessive amount of negative coverage but it does seem very sanitised right now. Watching celebs singing songs at home is great and all but we also have to be very real about the number of patients currently in intensive care units across the country. 

5 minutes ago, OneSon said:

I think we'll be up there, certainly.  The government will mask it though by not testing properly and then blaming our high mortality rate on low testing and generally hiding the real extent of the damage. There'll be a media blackout on covering the real extent of the deaths. 

I'm already becoming slightly perplexed by some of the media coverage of this. Where's the footage of UK intensive care units? Where is the footage of patients in intensive care with severe symptoms? Where are the interviews with the families of patients who have passed away? I'm not morbid or wanting an excessive amount of negative coverage but it does seem very sanitised right now. Watching celebs singing songs at home is great and all but we also have to be very real about the number of patients currently in intensive care units across the country. 

What the hell has it got to do with you or any of us? 

Why on earth do you think they should parade the deceased's family on the television like some Circus just so people can get some warped self opinionated judgement about what the government is or isn't doing? 

What would showing footage of people suffering in ICU achieve.  We all know what that looks like.   We all know what we think the capacity should be at.  Nobody gives a toss when it happens to people with other viral conditions year in year out but suddenly Covid 19 and everyone is interested

Even if they did film it there will be a load of people complaining they selectively picked a certain hospital or a certain place where the worst of it is.

It's just like the whole footage of "panic buying"......  Endless rolling footage of supposedly empty shelves in supermarkets.  post after post tweet after tweet of "thousands of people" queuing up trolley ready outside the stores.     I'd like to know where exactly all these stores are where supposedly the entire shop stock has been cleaned out. 

Certainly not stores up here.  A handful of specific items perhaps but with exception of those my local Morrisons and Asda shelves were as full as ever.  Come the next supply chain they will be back to normal providing morons stop losing their heads.

Perhaps the media are all going to the same shop.   Either that or they are using the exact same stock footage which has been posted because every news report and now now endless retweeted by the mindless idiots on social media.

No I don't agree the media should be filming anything like you suggest.   We either accept the government advice as it is all we don't and have a look at some alternative source of information.  Either way despite what they guardian and all the other left wing blogs are ranting on about...  This is the government that the majority of electorate voted for using the exact same vote rules and counting method as every other winning prime minister.   As per usual the losers are only complaining when the vote went against them despite having exactly the same rules as when they won.

Cross party action is what is needed now not tit-for-tat petty squabbles. The population also needs to come together and stop being so stupid. Enough with the constant comparisons about what other places are doing.  Enough with the constant barrage of misinformation all over the internet.  Enough of accepting the word of over the fence gossipers who know nothing about anything

Waaaaa.  He's not who I voted for.    Waaaaa  I don't believe a word he's saying Waaaa it's all a conspiracy.... 

Sorry not buying it.

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

What the hell has it got to do with you or any of us? 

Why on earth do you think they should parade the deceased's family on the television like some Circus just so people can get some warped self opinionated judgement about what the government is or isn't doing? 

What would showing footage of people suffering in ICU achieve.  We all know what that looks like.   We all know what we think the capacity should be at.  Nobody gives a toss when it happens to people with other viral conditions year in year out but suddenly Covid 19 and everyone is interested

Even if they did film it there will be a load of people complaining they selectively picked a certain hospital or a certain place where the worst of it is.

It's just like the whole footage of "panic buying"......  Endless rolling footage of supposedly empty shelves in supermarkets.  post after post tweet after tweet of "thousands of people" queuing up trolley ready outside the stores.     I'd like to know where exactly all these stores are where supposedly the entire shop stock has been cleaned out. 

Certainly not stores up here.  A handful of specific items perhaps but with exception of those my local Morrisons and Asda shelves were as full as ever.  Come the next supply chain they will be back to normal providing morons stop losing their heads.

Perhaps the media are all going to the same shop.   Either that or they are using the exact same stock footage which has been posted because every news report and now now endless retweeted by the mindless idiots on social media.

No I don't agree the media should be filming anything like you suggest.   We either accept the government advice as it is all we don't and have a look at some alternative source of information.  Either way despite what they guardian and all the other left wing blogs are ranting on about...  This is the government that the majority of electorate voted for using the exact same vote rules and counting method as every other winning prime minister.   As per usual the losers are only complaining when the vote went against them despite having exactly the same rules as when they won.

Cross party action is what is needed now not tit-for-tat petty squabbles. The population also needs to come together and stop being so stupid. Enough with the constant comparisons about what other places are doing.  Enough with the constant barrage of misinformation all over the internet.  Enough of accepting the word of over the fence gossipers who know nothing about anything

Waaaaa.  He's not who I voted for.    Waaaaa  I don't believe a word he's saying Waaaa it's all a conspiracy.... 

Sorry not buying it.

I've seen lots of empty shelves, lots of people have, we've a whole thread on it.

As far a death toll is concerned, we'll find out who was wrong and who was right when it comes out in the wash. I'd bet on it but I haven't any money spare.

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I've seen lots of empty shelves, lots of people have, we've a whole thread on it.

As far a death toll is concerned, we'll find out who was wrong and who was right when it comes out in the wash. I'd bet on it but I haven't any money spare.

He must be having a Larf   TFH.

As I've already posted, yesterday at ASDA Parson Cross,  aisle after aisle stripped completely bare.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But the most important point is why? as it just seems to be rampant stupidity and selfishness from people who are egged on and panicked by what the media is reporting. Heaven knows what would happen if social media suddenly collapses as well.... (can only hope!)

According to a report by the BBC in the UK's case:

"And that the best estimate of the "infection fatality rate" (the proportion of people who die after being infected) is in the range of 0.5% to 1%."

I'm with ECCOnoob on this!

Edited by apelike

55 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think that ECCO must have staff to do his shopping for him. It took me two hours and three shops to buy beer, chicken, bog roll and dog food this morning.

34 minutes ago, apelike said:

But the most important point is why? as it just seems to be rampant stupidity and selfishness from people who are egged on and panicked by what the media is reporting. Heaven knows what would happen if social media suddenly collapses as well.... (can only hope!)

According to a report by the BBC in the UK's case:

"And that the best estimate of the "infection fatality rate" (the proportion of people who die after being infected) is in the range of 0.5% to 1%."

I'm with ECCOnoob on this!

I agree that the panic buying is a product of stupidity. I’m not in favour of ECCO’s rant though  Our Government need to be firmer to stop us from ending up in the same boat as Italy.

We do have the advantage of seeing what has happened there. We’ve also got world class biologists and epidemiologists. I do hope they are driving this, not the politicians 

We also know that lockdowns, testing and contact tracing are key to sorting this. It is time the UK upped that part of its game.

47 minutes ago, Padders said:

He must be having a Larf   TFH.

As I've already posted, yesterday at ASDA Parson Cross,  aisle after aisle stripped completely bare.

No it wasn't.   Bread yes.  Toilet rolls most.  Pasta yes.   

But.....I was still able to buy ready meals, I was still able to buy cereals, I was still able to buy bottled drinks, I was still able to buy biscuits, I was still able to buy bsome toiletries (albeit not quite the brand I would normally go for) and yes I did have to buy some frozen version of something I would normally buy canned.

That's it.  A little hardship a little inconvenience but I'm not going to starve and die.

Calm down to a panic.