Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Coronavirus

6 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

My company's CEO hasn't been contacted by the PM about making ventilators even though his rhetoric on TV says otherwise. 

Also, you cannot just get any engineering company to start making ventilators at the drop of a hat. You need suitably clean environments to assemble these things and the quickest way of do it is to construct a boat load of moducons which takes time. Also, there isn't a design we can currently manufacture either. The government wants us to create one from scratch.

As always, the government hasn't thought their ideas through. 

Meanwhile, the EU has set out a scheme to prevent medical equipment from leaving the EU member states in order to ensure they are adequately supported. Guess what, we are not included! There are TWO European manufacturers of ventilators in Italy and Germany only. Guess where their new ventilators will not be going.....

Yep and guess who can try and make a deal with the US for some, and who wont get them as trumps only in it for the US. as for the manufacture, i was thinking the same, not any old engineering firm can just suddenly make ventilators, its not the war making shell casings, they have to be sterile etc for a start.

59 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

From the link provided by Tinfoil Hat.

It makes sound elementary sense to push for testing.

“These coronavirus symptoms are going hidden because people are not suggesting coronavirus as they don’t think it will happen to them – but it can and it will unless more people start to demand to be tested.

“Don’t think you are being over dramatic by suggesting it as a possibility because ignoring it can prove fatal.

how could you demand it? NHS flatly refuses to test if you ring them. Prob a bad idea to go near a GP or hospital to insist on testing.

I hope that we are able to ramp up the production of testing kits,ventilators and any other product that will help to fight the virus.

But remember for the majority it is the risk of a mild to uncomfortable episode of flu like symptoms fora few days.

Measles and various other diseases are unpleasant to dangerous,and still some people do not have the MMR vaccine or take advantage of the flu jab.

I know that older people in general are more at risk than others but this is a generalisation.

I feel more for those who already live with one of the many debilitating illnesses or conditions that could be at higher risk.

Posted (edited)

Ventilated patients are high dependency and require a higher staff to patient ratio than on normal wards. The staff are highly trained and experienced. Replacements can’t  be brought in from other areas at a moment’s notice. There is usually a shortage of ITU and high dependency beds anyway. The government’s  comments about the manufacture of ventilators are ridiculous - the machines would be redundant because there are insufficient beds and staff. 

Edited by Jomie

Don't know if his has been mentioned before, and forgive what may be a stupid question, but is there any guidance on letters and packages, especially those from abroad, coming into your home being able to transmit the corona virus?

I don't want to appear alarmist, but obviously I have history in mind where the plague was carried to Eyam in a bolt of cloth from London.

Just seen that cases in Sheffield have DECREASED from 14 to 1 hope this correct

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Don't know if his has been mentioned before, and forgive what may be a stupid question, but is there any guidance on letters and packages, especially those from abroad, coming into your home being able to transmit the corona virus?

I don't want to appear alarmist, but obviously I have history in mind where the plague was carried to Eyam in a bolt of cloth from London.

There's evidence that the virus can only survive for about 24 hours on cardboard, and presumably a similar time on paper, so (if that's correct) no danger of it coming in from abroad via that method.  Doesn't rule out it being picked up in the last 24 hours before delivery.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

Thank you, Captain Swing, that's helpful.

10 minutes ago, kay1 said:

Just seen that cases in Sheffield have DECREASED from 14 to 1 hope this correct

More good news,  they have stopped filming any more episodes of EastEnders.

8 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

My company's CEO hasn't been contacted by the PM about making ventilators even though his rhetoric on TV says otherwise. 

Also, you cannot just get any engineering company to start making ventilators at the drop of a hat. You need suitably clean environments to assemble these things and the quickest way of do it is to construct a boat load of moducons which takes time. Also, there isn't a design we can currently manufacture either. The government wants us to create one from scratch.

As always, the government hasn't thought their ideas through. 

Meanwhile, the EU has set out a scheme to prevent medical equipment from leaving the EU member states in order to ensure they are adequately supported. Guess what, we are not included! There are TWO European manufacturers of ventilators in Italy and Germany only. Guess where their new ventilators will not be going.....

France?

Posted (edited)

I would say that there are lots of people who  are more afraid of SSP than corona itself.

94 £/ week...

Edited by croat77