Coronavirus

RIP

Thoughts are with the family

4 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

I agree but why isnt everybody doing this now,  just a form of protection surely. :huh:

Because they can't  get masks anywhere. I've  made my own from white gents handkerchief  folded over and pleated with elastic over the ears, one kerchief  makes two.

Can be boiled washed.

I could make a 'killing' on line. 🤔

14 hours ago, melthebell said:

Do you really think they have tome to fart about training people now? Classrooms are starting to be thought about closing, it's not the time to be training people, we'd have been better with the Tories not previously decimating our hospitals, nursing stuff and care homes,now we get em half arsing around, yet again showing they don't care about people's health and jobs

Think you have put your finger on it there my Old!!

Johnson, I think? was quoted, just a day or two ago,  in news RAPIDLY Covered up and disappeared, that 5,000 Ventilators are available. Yes, 5,000 was the figure.

Apparently these Ventilators are the gadgies that can help save thousands from dying of Corona Virus by helping the Lungs to breathe/Fight/clear the virus, etc?

Now, my Mathematics has Never been very good at all, but say, just for argument, that there are currently around 60 million people in the UK, then that would equate to about 1 Ventilator for a tiny fraction, certainly half a percent or less?? of the WHOLE population?

If so(and my Maths is poor), and given that we have had an NHS since 1948 and many successive Govts since then, it seems to me, that this could be a case of either these Ventilator gadgies being ASTRONOMICALLY expensive to produce? or, possibly likely?, they are just NOT economically PROFITABLE?! (Perish the thought).

Posted (edited)

Seems Italy has 3000 ventilators and a bit of  a Google suggests they cost about £40,000 a piece.

Edited by butlers

5 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

Because they can't  get masks anywhere. I've  made my own from white gents handkerchief  folded over and pleated with elastic over the ears, one kerchief  makes two.

Can be boiled washed.

I could make a 'killing' on line. 🤔

It is idiocy like this that is terrifying. You think a hankerchief is going to be able to cut it in preventing the airborne Coronavirus? Seriously?

4 hours ago, dropout said:

Think you have put your finger on it there my Old!!

Johnson, I think? was quoted, just a day or two ago,  in news RAPIDLY Covered up and disappeared, that 5,000 Ventilators are available. Yes, 5,000 was the figure.

Apparently these Ventilators are the gadgies that can help save thousands from dying of Corona Virus by helping the Lungs to breathe/Fight/clear the virus, etc?

Now, my Mathematics has Never been very good at all, but say, just for argument, that there are currently around 60 million people in the UK, then that would equate to about 1 Ventilator for a tiny fraction, certainly half a percent or less?? of the WHOLE population?

If so(and my Maths is poor), and given that we have had an NHS since 1948 and many successive Govts since then, it seems to me, that this could be a case of either these Ventilator gadgies being ASTRONOMICALLY expensive to produce? or, possibly likely?, they are just NOT economically PROFITABLE?! (Perish the thought).

My company's CEO hasn't been contacted by the PM about making ventilators even though his rhetoric on TV says otherwise. 

Also, you cannot just get any engineering company to start making ventilators at the drop of a hat. You need suitably clean environments to assemble these things and the quickest way of do it is to construct a boat load of moducons which takes time. Also, there isn't a design we can currently manufacture either. The government wants us to create one from scratch.

As always, the government hasn't thought their ideas through. 

Meanwhile, the EU has set out a scheme to prevent medical equipment from leaving the EU member states in order to ensure they are adequately supported. Guess what, we are not included! There are TWO European manufacturers of ventilators in Italy and Germany only. Guess where their new ventilators will not be going.....

There were some nurses from the Hallamshire's infectious diseases unit in the pub last night, never seen them in there before but they wanted to support a local business.

1 minute ago, taxman said:

There were some nurses from the Hallamshire's infectious diseases unit in the pub last night, never seen them in there before but they wanted to support a local business.

I bet they had a large chunk of the pub to themselves!

Avoid mass gatherings... but keep schools open!

Our larger schools number in excess of 1,000 pupils, over  70 teaching staff, and armies of cleaners, technicians, caretakers, office staff and kitchen staff.

But that's ok?  Absolute idiocy.

10 hours ago, dropout said:

Johnson, I think? was quoted, just a day or two ago,  in news RAPIDLY Covered up and disappeared, that 5,000 Ventilators are available.

Googles "5000 ventilators"

One of many links that haven't been "covered up or disappeared"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/15/coronavirus-uk-manufacturers-urged-to-consider-switching-to-making-ventilators

From the link provided by Tinfoil Hat.

It makes sound elementary sense to push for testing.

“These coronavirus symptoms are going hidden because people are not suggesting coronavirus as they don’t think it will happen to them – but it can and it will unless more people start to demand to be tested.

“Don’t think you are being over dramatic by suggesting it as a possibility because ignoring it can prove fatal.