Coronavirus

2 minutes ago, FinBak said:

I can live with what TECH I have for many years to come. 

For years, the Luddite in me, convinced myself I could but in many cases it's now necessary to be hooked up to the Internet, although my only social media vice is SF. 

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said emergency powers would be passed into law this week.

Asked if the laws could involve police or army personnel on the streets, closing borders or arresting people who refuse to stay in quarantine, he confirmed it could.

"We are going to take the powers to make sure that we can quarantine people if they are a risk to public health," he said.

"I doubt we will need to use it very much because people are being very responsible and people need to be responsible."

How are they going to enforce this when the police don't even bother to turn up for certain crimes due to being undermanned and what are they going to do with the people they arrest?

16 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

For years, the Luddite in me, convinced myself I could but in many cases it's now necessary to be hooked up to the Internet, although my only social media vice is SF. 

I'm not on Facebook or any other Social Media site.  I could happily live without the internet forever.!

4 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said emergency powers would be passed into law this week.

Asked if the laws could involve police or army personnel on the streets, closing borders or arresting people who refuse to stay in quarantine, he confirmed it could.

"We are going to take the powers to make sure that we can quarantine people if they are a risk to public health," he said.

"I doubt we will need to use it very much because people are being very responsible and people need to be responsible."

How are they going to enforce this when the police don't even bother to turn up for certain crimes due to being undermanned and what are they going to do with the people they arrest?

Short answer is 'THEY CAN'T' enforce it.
It's scaremongering if you ask ME and irresponsible.
What we need here is good old fashioned stuff..
Belt up, get on with your life and lets get back to normal.

32 minutes ago, FinBak said:

That attitude is going to quite literally kill people.

2 hours ago, Steelworker said:

The question is, is 60-70%  of the population getting this infection inevitable.

Merkel said a few days ago that up to 70% of Germans will be infected. As far as I understand the lockdowns and closures in Europe are about delaying the infections over a longer time frame, not stopping it.

In 60-70% of the population the affects of the infection are only mild. The deaths in under 50's in Italy and South Korea are almost non-existent, under 0.1%. We know with our figures  that confirmed cases to actual infections  is out by a factor of 20. If the same is for Italy, the fatality rate for under 50's is 0.005 (1 in 20,000). But the figure isn't likely to be out by a factor of 20 in over 50's as they're more likely to be hospitalised, so it means it is even more out in under 50's, perhaps under 1 in 40,000.

At that rate 60% of the population could be exposed with under 1,000 deaths. But sufficient herd immunity would be achieved. So on the numbers it works out if you can protect the elderly and vulnerable.

Those of you quoting herd immunity as an end game to stop COVID-19 are absolutely deluded. Ever since the government announced this strategy it has been widely condemned across the scientific community and governments as well as the WHO. No one is even contemplating this idea other than us. Actually not anymore, Number 10 has been back tracking with its tail between its legs ever since and now saying that developing herd immunity isn't government policy. Also, ask yourself this when has herd immunity ever been successfully implemented WITHOUT a vaccine?  If the coronavirus R0 is greater than 2.5, herd immunity will not work. Guess what, it has been reported to be as high 4.4! Well done on missing that vital piece of info. 

The mortality rates you are quoting is total rubbish. The numbers I trust most are the ones coming out of South Korea, simply because they are the only country who is similar to us in size and demographic make up. They are testing like crazy, 20k samples A DAY. They already tested in excess of 250k and their mortality rate sits at 8%.  Yes, age does play a huge factor, but you're effectively condemning the old. 

2 hours ago, FinBak said:

I would say CHINA and it's allowance to there folk eating BATS / STRAY DOGS and the like, should be WHOLLY accountable.

I for one, amongst many others, will NOT buy ANYTHING from or made in China.

Eating BAT'S for christ sake...!  It was only a matter of time something like this would happen.

Take your racist inclinations and xenophobic tendencies and lock yourself in a  cave.

There is NO evidence whatsoever COVID-19 originated from bat soup. Trust the uneducated to fall for this fake news. Anything to scratch that racism itch right?

3 hours ago, Blue Day said:

I don’t understand why people have to be told by the government or health advisors on what to do? Common sense is also an option. Take precautions, get your elderly and / or vulnerable relatives to take precautions. OAPs being in isolation doesn’t mean no one can go and see them, you can visit and take supplies. Be cautious if it makes you feel better, keep a safe distance, don’t hug / kiss etc. If you feel unwell or they do, don’t visit. 

There’s simply no need for some of the hysteria that’s around ATM. Yes be worried, I’m worried for my vulnerable relatives, but be calm and be sensible. 

Most sensible  post so far.

Let's  stop the hysteria. 

2 hours ago, FinBak said:

I would say CHINA and it's allowance to there folk eating BATS / STRAY DOGS and the like, should be WHOLLY accountable.

I for one, amongst many others, will NOT buy ANYTHING from or made in China.

Eating BAT'S for christ sake...!  It was only a matter of time something like this would happen.

I'll  go along with that, China has a lot to answer for with their barbaric  practices. 

I’ve been to some of these markets in Southern China.

I don’t particularly have a problem with what they eat, as I get their view that it’s strange we prioritise one animals worth over another’s e.g a Dog over a Cow. They treat all animals equally i.e all are ok to eat.

The problem is that these animals are not farmed but taken from the wild and sold live which allows the spread of all sorts of things from animal to human.

Hong Kong used to have issues with this type of thing so they closed the wet markets and it solved the problem, China has yet to do this but the rest of the world needs to apply political and economic pressure to ensure they do. 

1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

Those of you quoting herd immunity as an end game to stop COVID-19 are absolutely deluded. Ever since the government announced this strategy it has been widely condemned across the scientific community and governments as well as the WHO. No one is even contemplating this idea other than us. Actually not anymore, Number 10 has been back tracking with its tail between its legs ever since and now saying that developing herd immunity isn't government policy. Also, ask yourself this when has herd immunity ever been successfully implemented WITHOUT a vaccine?  If the coronavirus R0 is greater than 2.5, herd immunity will not work. Guess what, it has been reported to be as high 4.4! Well done on missing that vital piece of info. 

The mortality rates you are quoting is total rubbish. The numbers I trust most are the ones coming out of South Korea, simply because they are the only country who is similar to us in size and demographic make up. They are testing like crazy, 20k samples A DAY. They already tested in excess of 250k and their mortality rate sits at 8%.  Yes, age does play a huge factor, but you're effectively condemning the old. 

Take your racist inclinations and xenophobic tendencies and lock yourself in a  cave.

There is NO evidence whatsoever COVID-19 originated from bat soup. Trust the uneducated to fall for this fake news. Anything to scratch that racism itch right?

It came from a bio weapons lab or chinese wet market....take your pick

Posted (edited)

Wuhan China, ..city 15 million , metropolitan area 60 million.China has vast cities , huge populations in close proximity to some of the most lethal live markets anywhere in the world.Cities of this size are common place in China.Dead snakes lay bleeding over live dogs with broken legs. Bats, live and dead, tadpoles, frogs, mice , rats, insects, ageing meat carcases, no ice to be seen, gutter oil all sold and used in enormous quantities.

Ironically Communism kept us safe in a roudabout way, as The Chinese only migrated in smallish numbers.Since the Chinese were able to get Visas then pandemics like this will be global until the Chinese change their centuries old eating habits hygiene standards and and market trading.

As corporate greed grew so did China and now we are dependent on them from everything from mobile phones to hormone patches.
The sooner we have vast devolution the better. Outsourcing our needs globally for me is a huge mistake on all fronts especially our health

Edited by staninoodle