Coronavirus

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dardandec said:

You do realise you can wear a face covering anytime you want? it's not illegal to wear one before the implemented date. I have been wearing one in public places for ages and haven't been jailed yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52945210

You did right.

I and many others on this forum could not understand the WHO stance on face masks which was often quoted by our government.

The only explanation that I could think of was that it was a deliberate intention to try to retain supplies of medical grade masks for front line workers around the world.Fair enough.

It always seemed that masks could contribute to some extent in the prevention of spread of the virus in some situations and I hope that the advice will be followed.

Over 60s recommendation is to use medical grade masks.I doubt that these are widely available at a “proper” price.

Edited by RJRB

2 hours ago, Dardandec said:

You do realise you can wear a face covering anytime you want? it's not illegal to wear one before the implemented date. I have been wearing one in public places for ages and haven't been jailed yet.

Fair play to you, well done

This is why I've always been critical of Dominic Cummings not being censured over his lockdown transgressions. It's not about Cummings as such,.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MESSAGE. 

If you give mixed messages or don't lead by example, do you think the people who won't social distance (see beaches last weekend) or even clean up after themselves (see pictures of the rubbish people leave behind)  are going to do the right thing? Sadly, with some people, you have to TELL them what to do. Make it black or white and stop garbling the message.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52946850

Hopson made some compelling points on the radio today and I look forward to the governments response.

However on the face of it there seems to be a recurring theme of poor communication and planning at every stage of the Government’s actions.

34 minutes ago, RJRB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52946850

Hopson made some compelling points on the radio today and I look forward to the governments response.

However on the face of it there seems to be a recurring theme of poor communication and planning at every stage of the Government’s actions.

Hospitals that know what they are doing, already have such policies in place. No need for "consultation".

Posted (edited)

@enntee Well said.:thumbsup:

The only problem is that you are not in tune with SF - you should be supporting all the 'doom & gloom' 🤣

Edited by RollingJ

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, enntee said:

Hospitals that know what they are doing, already have such policies in place. No need for "consultation".

Inclusion is the key .

You never know.Someone  at the work face may have a better grasp of the detail than the Managing Director

Sweeping policies at the top have to be enacted by those concerned with the practicalities.

I have not got a doom and gloom outlook.

I do have little faith in the current leadership’s abilities to organise a <removed> up in a brewery.

Edited by nikki-red

On 06/06/2020 at 12:01, RollingJ said:

@enntee Well said.:thumbsup:

The only problem is that you are not in tune with SF - you should be supporting all the 'doom & gloom' 🤣

Surprisingly given the fact that there have been large numbers of protesters in London and other big cities not following the 2 metre rule the doom and gloom has calmed down over the prospect of a second peak of the coronavirus.  I didn't notice Dominic Cummings in any of the crowds protesting which could explain why the fears of a second peak are not being highlighted on the news headlines.  I personally am worried that the numbers of new coronavirus infections and hospital admissions will start to rise considerable again in the next few weeks because too many people are not following the Government guidelines and advice.

On 06/06/2020 at 12:33, RJRB said:

Inclusion is the key .

You never know.Someone  at the work face may have a better grasp of the detail than the Managing Director

Sweeping policies at the top have to be enacted by those concerned with the practicalities.

I have not got a doom and gloom outlook.

I do have little faith in the current leadership’s abilities to organise a <removed> up in a brewery.

You may be right - but those on the work face dont make the big decisions.   That is the way of life.

The big boss decides and its down chain of command to implement it. 

Personally, I am not convinced by this whole "consultation" criticism.  I think some hospital trust bigwigs are using it as an excuse to stir the pot against the govenment.  Any suitably competent and efficient NHS management would use some of those strategic and leadership skills that they get vast salaries for - to make sure they are keeping up with the game.  The private sector are doing it all the time and spending vast amounts of money to make sure they are ready for when changes happen.

To me, its pretty obvious - certainly after months of screaming at the government that PPE is so vital - that eventually a rule on face covering for all secondary staff and hospital visitors would likely become mandatory.   I'm sure behind closed doors planning for the same has already taken place.   Its not just the government that has to be reactive in this rapidly changing circumstance.   

Its not like the goverment has said that the use of face coverings must be immediate either.  They have allowed a time frame of 15 June so those hospital bigwigs now have a deadline and they need get on with meeting it.   Bear in mind that the government has received lots of criticism from keyboard warriors and gobby journalists for waiting until mid-june instead of making them mandatory immediately - its as if they cannot win.   

Dammed if they do.  Dammed if they dont.

Posted (edited)

Face coverings should have been used from day 1 in my opinion. 

And if it's about preserving PPE for frontline workers, it's not difficult to make your own.

Even a scarf or piece of fabric doubled and tied around nose and mouth, is better than nothing, and can prevent the spread pf droplets.

Everything this government has done smacks of too little too late.

40,000+ dead is the result.

Edited by Anna B

I have no idea if the figures are correct picked from the BBC.

Deaths caused by the virus passed 400,000 worldwide on Sunday.

The figure is provided in a count by Johns Hopkins University, which also shows confirmed global infections close to the 7 million mark.

Am I correct in assuming 17.5 % of people with confirmed infection die?

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Face coverings should have been used from day 1 in my opinion. 

And if it's about preserving PPE for frontline workers, it's not difficult to make your own.

Even a scarf or piece of fabric doubled and tied around nose and mouth, is better than nothing, and can prevent the spread pf droplets.

Everything this government has done smacks of too little too late.

40,000+ dead is the result.

no no no 40,000 deaths are not a result of this government it's the result of a incurable virus.  Let's keep some perspective here.

Now whilst I agree there has been some delays and that will never be forgotten as a stick to beat the government with -  where exactly are you going to put "day one".    It's easy to throw a line like that out but how exactly are you going to implement that.

Should we have all been mandatory wearing masks when the first cases were reported back in January - despite being thousands of miles away on the other side of the world?

What about early march when initial proposals for lockdown were being implemented.  Should everyone have been made to wear masks despite the fact there were merely 36 cases of this disease in the UK out of an estimated population of 66m.  Reasonable and proportionate?

What about a few days later when still only one single uk death had been reported.  Would that be a reasonable time to try and persuade the population that they must wear mandatory face masks?  How exactly do you think the public would have reacted to that bearing in mind that the government was already facing a backlash from some members of the public just because they were being put into lockdown.   

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Edited by ECCOnoob

11 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

no no no 40,000 deaths are not a result of this government it's the result of a incurable virus.  Let's keep some perspective here.

Now whilst I agree there has been some delays and that will never be forgotten as a stick to beat the government with -  where exactly are you going to put "day one".    It's easy to throw a line like that out but how exactly are you going to implement that.

Should we have all been mandatory wearing masks when the first cases were reported back in January - despite being thousands of miles away on the other side of the world?

What about early march when initial proposals for lockdown were being implemented.  Should everyone have been made to wear masks despite the fact there were merely 36 cases of this disease in the UK out of an estimated population of 66m.  Reasonable and proportionate?

What about a few days later when still only one single uk death had been reported.  Would that be a reasonable time to try and persuade the population that they must wear mandatory face masks?  How exactly do you think the public would have reacted to that bearing in mind that the government was already facing a backlash from some members of the public just because they were being put into lockdown.   

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It's over 50k deaths now.

Boris missing Cobra meetings in February, late lockdown, and  discharging untested hospital patients to care homes all contributed.

Face masks for the general public - very little difference.