Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Coronavirus

14 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Pretty much every country in the world has had the same problem we’ve had - remember we live on densely populated island.

we should have closed the borders, isolated early cases and we might have been ok.

thar said - this isn’t the Armageddon - Just be sensible for gods sake - we already know who’s most exposed to the bad end of the virus. We know how you can minimise risk of catching and spreading it.

all the other stuff is noise.

stay 2m apart, wash your hands, don’t do daft things like say because dominic Cummings went to barnsard castle I’m gonna freewheel to my elderly aunt.

calm down. Be careful. We’ll be alright.

Follow the science, not the Government.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/30/england-risks-covid-19-surge-without-test-and-trace-safety-net-sage-boris-johnson

17 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Pretty much every country in the world has had the same problem we’ve had - remember we live on densely populated island.

we should have closed the borders, isolated early cases and we might have been ok.

thar said - this isn’t the Armageddon - Just be sensible for gods sake - we already know who’s most exposed to the bad end of the virus. We know how you can minimise risk of catching and spreading it.

all the other stuff is noise.

stay 2m apart, wash your hands, don’t do daft things like say because dominic Cummings went to barnsard castle I’m gonna freewheel to my elderly aunt.

calm down. Be careful. We’ll be alright.

Yes we should have used our geographical advantage of being an island & the additional advantage of what we could see was happening in mainland Europe, who were a good 2 weeks or so ahead of us in the UK. 

But you know what?  The same influential people who are now screaming that this is what we should have done, would have been the same people who would have been screaming 3 months ago that it's stupid to shut the UK down to all incomers. 

Posted (edited)

"Mystery of the Silent Spreaders." 

Sounds like a title of an old American, 50's 'B' movie? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52840763

The 'asymptomatic' aspect of this virus is the truely worrying aspect of it?  People who show no signs of carrying the virus. 

Edited by Baron99

22 hours ago, West 77 said:

I think it has been reported some councils have reopened toilets after saying they would remain closed in an attempt to discourage tourists and sun seekers.  It's been reported there have been long queues for council toilets that have opened in tourist areas.  There is no doubt the Government have made mistakes during the coronavirus crisis but the general public are to blame for many of the consequences of the pandemic in this country which is because too many members of the public don't have any common sense.

That is a bit of an understatement, maybe if there had been a plan from the start and not dithering over what to do we might have been in a better situation, the Government have been shambolic throughout this pandemic. I and many millions understood the instructions but  other people didn't, they interpreted the rules to suit them as shown by Cummings.

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

"Mystery of the Silent Spreaders." 

Sounds like a title of an old American, 50's 'B' movie? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52840763

The 'asymptomatic' aspect of this virus is the truely worrying aspect of it?  People who show no signs of carrying the virus. 

Excellent social distancing pictures from Bournemouth & the Dorset coast in fact  its so good down there people are chucking themselves off cliffs 

(with no concerns for the emergency services that have to pick up the pieces - fine or even better send the pillocks the Bill)

Ding -  Ding round, 2

Seconds to you corners & come out fighting.

On Thursday Boris said the extremely vulnerable group would have to continue shielding until the number of new cases was very low. 11pm on Saturday night, before the impact of the lockdown easing starting Monday and with track and trace off to a rocky start, Housing Minister Robert Jenwick announces that those shielding can go out for exercise and meet another person using social distancing. Wouldn’t have anything to do with Robert Jenwick’s dodgy dealings with Tory donor property developer being all over the Sunday papers would it. Unlike Cummings he’s admitted wrongdoing, wonder if he’ll resign or just hope it will get overlooked in the joy of his announcement. This government is not just incompetent but self serving and dangerous 

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

When the scientists take responsibility for the economy as well I’ll take their advice over the governments.

1 minute ago, despritdan said:

I wonder if there'll be the same media storm and public outrage over this woman who broke the social distancing rules whilst Cummings didn't and is an MP which Cummings isn't.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8373103/Labour-MP-Rosie-Duffield-stands-whip-breaking-coronavirus-lockdown-rules.html

Of course not it will be off the news by tea time.

7 minutes ago, despritdan said:

I wonder if there'll be the same media storm and public outrage over this woman who broke the social distancing rules whilst Cummings didn't and is an MP which Cummings isn't.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8373103/Labour-MP-Rosie-Duffield-stands-whip-breaking-coronavirus-lockdown-rules.html

She apologised and stepped down as others ,with one notable exception,did.

Thats how to take it off the front page .

4 minutes ago, makapaka said:

When the scientists take responsibility for the economy as well I’ll take their advice over the governments.

Of course not it will be off the news by tea time.

Perhaps so but she’s admitted it and resigned unlike Mr Cummings. At least we’ve not had a **** and bull story about testing her eyesight by making sure she could still recognise him 

55 minutes ago, RJRB said:

She apologised and stepped down as others ,with one notable exception,did.

Thats how to take it off the front page .

She only resigned the Labour whip, she's still an MP so she hasn't stepped down. Some people seem to have a very selective sense of outrage. I wonder what excuses they'll think up for this Labour MP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-52154327

1 hour ago, despritdan said:

The woman in question wasn't involved in the vote leave or Tory general election campaigns meaning she hasn't made as many political and media enemies as Dominic Cummings baying for blood. The media and opposition parties tried and failed to get Dominic Cummings sacked for the actual trip to Durham to where he self-isolated on an isolated farm with members of his normal household and failed. The media and opposition parties then moved their attention to the test trip to make sure the problem with his eyesight didn't reoccur when driving where he ended up near Barnard Castle and still haven't managed to get him sacked. If Dominic Cummings had taken a bike ride with the same members of his household and ended up near Barnard Castle then that wouldn't have been against any rules but no less or more risk of putting others in danger of the coronavirus.  No doubt the media have made enquires to try and find out if there is any evidence that Dominic Cummings broke the speed limit on the way back from Durham or to see if there are any CCTV pictures at a petrol station showing him breaking the social distancing rules. Quite frankly the whole Cummings political point-scoring saga has been an embarrassing distraction for Britain at a time when all politicians and the media should be working together as Britain starts slowly to come out of what has always been a too lenient lockdown.