Coronavirus

14 hours ago, Thorpist said:

If Cummings does keep his job the consequences  of the PMs decision to allow those in power to ignore the government will result in the people turning against the tories

You don't think 60,000 deaths is enough to make them turn away?

13 hours ago, Longcol said:

These rules?

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson instructs all UK citizens to stay at home, to protect the NHS during the coronavirus pandemic.

From this evening, people can only leave home for one of the four following reasons:

• Shopping for groceries or essentials
  • Any medical need
  • One form of exercise per day
  • Travelling to and from work, if it's absolutely necessary and you cannot work from home

Not if the person, or someone in the same household, was showing symptoms, they weren't.

12 hours ago, apelike said:

He's probably just come from a SAGE or PHE meeting set to recommend 1 metre later this week. :hihi:

He should be very careful then because SAGE advice kills.

12 hours ago, apelike said:

Fair point.

I think he has been damaged but by coronavirus as he still seems to be a bit unwell and not his usual self. As said before it would not surprise me if he is out and we have a new PM after Christmas.

Maybe his eyes got to see what his herd immunity has done to people.

13 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

Still not answering the question.  Try again or read my original reply again.

Funny how you you didn't use this argument in the Brexit debate when you wouldn't consider the argument that the referendum itself did not legally compel parliament to enact the result.  You are quite hypocritical.

Funny how you've forgotten that Cameron's little book we paid for made it clear the referendum result would be enacted.

2 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

You don't think 60,000 deaths is enough to make them turn away?

I don't know if the governments handling of the pandemic has been largely good or bad . I do know that countless people took on board the rules/advice/laws that the government gave and that Cummings has totally undermined the position.

Posted (edited)
On 24/01/2020 at 20:00, Cade Foster said:

It's a bit reassuring to know that it's not only the UK where the 'elite' can think they're above strict lockdown regulations. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-52792941

I see even by this morning, No. 10 has not refuted the claims that Cummings visited Barnard Castle, 30 miles or so from where he was supposedly self-isolating? 

Edited by Baron99
Comments removed.

This whole discussion will accelerate in hours and days and will focus on our very own Barnard Castle gate.

Johnson evaded the questions and will try to continue to do so.

Follow up questions were abruptly cut off yesterday,and Johnson scuttled off as early as possible.

Cummings seems contemptuous of most people ,and Johnson is taking us all for mugs.

Boris is capable of both lies and U turns.

I hope that he opts for the U turn.

Posted (edited)

It turns out now that according to Cummings' parents, he made the trip to his parents house in Durham, not only for COVID-19 reasons but also because he was grieving for an uncle who had died in a London hospital & Cummings was upset as he was unable to visit him in his last hours.  Cummings therefore wanted to be with his family. 

Don't we all remember the 13 child who died alone in hospital a few weeks ago, unable to be visited by his parents in his final hours.  His parents were then unable to attend his funeral due to them having symptoms.  These ordinary people never broke the rules in their time of grief. 

Edited by Baron99

If Cummings had any deceny or respect for Johnson or even himself he would stop driving a  nail in Johnsons political coffin and resign, arrogance and believing in his  devious excuses prevent this,  these are two baddens and we are stuck with them,   its now nailed on that the majority of the country have no confidence in Johnson anymore, I have never had any in him,  :suspect:

Posted (edited)

So the statement below that I just read means we should all just get in our cars and drive somewhere as it will help stop the spread, the man is an idiot, he opens his mouth and blusters his way through his speeches.

Boris claimed his adviser had “acted to stop the spread of the virus” by driving from London to the North East.

Cummings mother has confirmed that his uncle, Lord Justice Laws, died in London on April 5 - the same day he was first spotted in his parents' garden at their house in Durham. Morag, Mr Cummings' mother, told The NewStatesman: “You know, we have been a grieving family and there’s been no recognition of that, and I wish reporters would be cognisant of that fact.

Yes they are a grieving family, is that supposed to  make it alright?  What about the thousands of others who have lost their lives and their families were forced to miss funerals or the last moments with their loved ones, the 13 year old boy who died with no family able to comfort him. People obeyed the lockdown no matter how painful it was for them yet the jumped up Pratt Cummings and our Prime Minister believe he did nothing wrong.

Edited by iansheff

The good news just keeps on coming.

https://www.ft.com/content/8df85bb4-4e2e-41f3-bb51-c7d046d23455

The failed ventilator challenge to industry is to cost the government in the region of £450m.  Nearly half a billion pounds for a PR stunt to give the illusion that this Churchill wannabe is doing something proactive.  Should I be surprised?  Sadly no.

Once again posts have been removed there is a clear message at the top of the page.

12 hours ago, RJRB said:

The corollary of your point is that the right wing media will fail to report or downplay an issue which like it or not is headline news.

Johnson’s credibility has been damaged and he is understandably showing the strain.

This is not the job that he aspired to and his failings are showing.

Back to the bunker.

Well I got that one wrong.

The Daily Mail is as forthright as anyone in stating that for both moral and political reasons that Cummings should go.

Their political editor was on Radio 5 this morning and spoke much truth.

Boris and his supporters seem to think of him as Churchillian so I had to chuckle when JK Rowling proposed a new word:

"Johnsonian - the wrong person, in the wrong job, at the wrong time"

14 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

The good news just keeps on coming.

https://www.ft.com/content/8df85bb4-4e2e-41f3-bb51-c7d046d23455

The failed ventilator challenge to industry is to cost the government in the region of £450m.  Nearly half a billion pounds for a PR stunt to give the illusion that this Churchill wannabe is doing something proactive.  Should I be surprised?  Sadly no.

Yes, its good news that more ventilators haven't been needed.  If the Government hadn't looked into getting ventilators manufactured and there had been a shortage of them in hospitals no doubt the media and the politicians would have been fast to criticise them for not doing so.