Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

They originally said people arriving on airplanes with the virus didnt matter as it was already in the population (doesnt that make it worse though? more people with it). now they say its the right time, now the deaths are coming down, so they dont spike back up (fair enough, but *i still think doing it from the start makes more sense to keep overall cases and deaths down). same with testing, they made a big deal about ramping up testing now, but what about mid march on, to find and isolate more cases and keep the cases and deaths down??

*So did a lot of other countries but obviously Boris thought he knew best. Maybe if he hadn't missed the Cobra meetings he might have been more up to speed. As for the testing, that has been farcical with targets that have not been met, didn't Boris say something about  200,000 tests a day in his speech  last night?

19 minutes ago, iansheff said:

*So did a lot of other countries but obviously Boris thought he knew best. Maybe if he hadn't missed the Cobra meetings he might have been more up to speed. As for the testing, that has been farcical with targets that have not been met, didn't Boris say something about  200,000 tests a day in his speech  last night?

world beating testing, and over 100.000 a day, they only hit 100.000 once i believe and that was cos they fiddled the numbers

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

Nothing more? Hundreds of thousands of people returning to work, many of them to workplaces without adequate safety measures or PPE and in non-unionised environments where they'll feel unable to challenge management.  As Metro have reported this morning the Tube in London is packed with commuters - https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/11/tubes-packed-commuters-day-boris-tells-people-go-back-work-12684113/

You say ''If you are in anyway worried, stay at home, don't go out and don't mix with others. '' Some people will underestimate the risk and many - in the hardest positions financially will feel they don't have a choice.

If there isn't a big rise in infections coming very soon, I'll eat my hat - and then I'll be back on here to tell you ''I told you this would happen''

They haven't shown any pictures on the BBC News featuring crowded Tube trains. They showed a commuter train almost empty of passengers. They showed queues of cars and delivery vehicles entering London which indicate most people were following the advice and avoiding public transport when going to work.  They showed pictures of Paris where their Tube trains looked crowded with commuters.

Just watching the news from around Europe.

Germany may have lifted restrictions a bit too early,whilst pictures from France and Belgium show busy public transport with all commuters wearing masks and gloves.

This I find particularly interesting because it’s the transport infrastructure that is absolutely essential to get the economy moving again.

Free masks and disinfecting stations are available.

Social distancing is not a viable option on public transport so when will our government address this issue in a pragmatic way

37 minutes ago, West 77 said:

They haven't shown any pictures on the BBC News featuring crowded Tube trains. They showed a commuter train almost empty of passengers. They showed queues of cars and delivery vehicles entering London which indicate most people were following the advice and avoiding public transport when going to work.  They showed pictures of Paris where their Tube trains looked crowded with commuters.

I would not trust what the BBC is showing, its news content is extremely pro government.

53 minutes ago, West 77 said:

plenty on here

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8306539/Commuters-crowd-Tubes-Boris-Johnson-urges-Britons-work.html

the daily mail dont seem too happy with it all

16 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Well, isn't that odd. Not shown on the BBC apparently. Yet a large part of our population trust the BBC as a news source.

So finally face masks are advised in certain situations.

I equipped our family some weeks ago because it was obviously going to be of some benefit.

At that time stocks were sold out in the U.K. and on line orders taking several weeks.

As I mentioned above other countries are giving them out at stations.

Raab says that this would be an impossible task in the U.K.

Are we really such a useless manufacturing nation that some organisation cannot produce basic masks.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Is the daily mail now a trustworthy source of information?

Doesn't seem too long ago since it was being dismissed.

strangely that works the other way too, now youre dismissive, but if it was its usual anti immigration, pro brexit it would be right. at the end of the day they are all news providers (with their own spin on it) personally im not commuting in london so i have to go on what i see online, ive seen plenty of pics on facebook but without real context so i did a search and found the link, feel free to do your own research and find evidence that counters mine. thats how it works

18 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Well, isn't that odd. Not shown on the BBC apparently. Yet a large part of our population trust the BBC as a news source.

ive no idea, i use the bbc a lot cos its quick and easy, and the sites generally safe without masses of adverts getting in the way...............but its not the be all and end all, just because something isnt on the bbc doesnt mean it doesnt exist

Edited by melthebell