Coronavirus

Hearing all the excuses from the Goverment ref PPE for NHS, Care homes ect, no one anticipated the impact of the Virus, thats a laugh!  The World and his/her dog watched China, Italy and Spain firstly so we this Goverment ect knew what to expect,  the same garbage is happening with the every man jack will get help ref buisness loans, the truth is this Goverment is incompident. Always has been and always will be.  :roll:

1 hour ago, Outcast453 said:

That may be true, but how are parents supposed to go to work if they have kids not at school?

I agree with you. We are in a catch 22 situation. I have 2 grandsons, one in school one not. The one at home uses an inhaler and on occasion has to be admitted to hospital with breathing problems. He is not classed as high risk. I think anyone with breathing problems is at risk. What if the one at school brings home the virus? They are lucky there is a parent at work (key worker) and one at home. We self isolate from them, it is hard but we have to protect ourselves and grandparents can no longer help out.

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Hearing all the excuses from the Goverment ref PPE for NHS, Care homes ect, no one anticipated the impact of the Virus, thats a laugh!  The World and his/her dog watched China, Italy and Spain firstly so we this Goverment ect knew what to expect,  the same garbage is happening with the every man jack will get help ref buisness loans, the truth is this Goverment is incompident. Always has been and always will be.  :roll:

This cabinet was assembled to deliver Brexit. Their entire approach is based on spin and the careful control of media and of public perception. They do what they want to do and then try to manipulate public perception. They've tried to use the same strategy during this pandemic and it has failed miserably. They've been held to account by medics, scientists and other countries. They have tried but failed to hide and conceal what is really happening in care homes and hospitals. It has been one of the biggest car crashes in politics in living memory. 

3 hours ago, Fiat500 said:

I don't dispute that children have less chance of dying with the virus but they are good transporters of it. A child going to school can bring the virus home.

Perhaps give a though to those teachers having to go in and then go back to their families and children every day.

Don't see anyone raising millions for the education funds or standing outside clapping.

1 hour ago, OneSon said:

This cabinet was assembled to deliver Brexit. Their entire approach is based on spin and the careful control of media and of public perception. They do what they want to do and then try to manipulate public perception. They've tried to use the same strategy during this pandemic and it has failed miserably. They've been held to account by medics, scientists and other countries. They have tried but failed to hide and conceal what is really happening in care homes and hospitals. It has been one of the biggest car crashes in politics in living memory. 

Yet 68% of the country think they're doing a good job.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Yet 68% of the country think they're doing a good job.

They clearly haven't been paying attention.

Check on the post office website. It tells you branches etc. Some are reduced hours like ours is inside W H Smith and open 9-3pm. Whereas the smaller one in the Co-op is open as long as the Co-op is open.

Thanks, it seems the Sheffield site is more accurate than the national site.

1 hour ago, OneSon said:

In fully agree with all the points you have made,  my gripe is that we have seen and digested what has been happening in other countries so this Goverment had plenty of time to be,  ready for this event,  it just seems like they are playing ecerything off the Cuff, WINGING IT, to be fair   I reckon the labour party would have performed the same as this lot. :roll:

Politicians have the same problems as football managers.They need to get the job and then produce results in a short time so they tackle the immediate problems.

Ministers are shuffled from one post to another and each one pursues their own pet project.

There  is a lack of consistency or objectivity in achieving any long term aim whether this be the NHS,HS2,expanding Heathrow or otherwise ,etc.

So the possibilities of a pandemic ,global warming are the subject of some debate ,but are not acted upon because they are not the immediate problem.

Another administration or Cabinet Minister can have that problem in the future.

As mentioned by OneSon,this cabinet was assembled with one objective,and several experienced politicians with particular and useful abilities are sat on the bench.

6 hours ago, steve68 said:

Thanks, 

you're right,

My thoughts too are  for those that are going through this alone, or maybe don't yet understand how to access help,  clearly the Government and NHS have the data and are using it to find those who may need help, and let's not to forget those people that signed up to volunteer and are willing to help,  the U.K isn't too shabby when it comes to good people, you just have look at all  our key workers and people fund raising  like Tom Moore.

I'll have a look at the programme on catchup, luckily for us it should be pretty be manageable, we also have a  garden that helps. 

Oh yes, thank heavens for decent gardens.  They are a Godsend during lockdown.  I hope, after this crisis, that more efforts will be made to ensure families have access to garden/outdoor spaces and fewer will be stuck in flats.  

5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

It definitely seems that way, doesn't it?

I am sure that the government could update death figures, even if it was several days after the fact, to get an actual figure of the total number of  lives lost, instead of the number of those who have died in hospital alone.

6 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

My child is at school one day a week at the moment and I have no problem with it, why should I ? There is a very  very small chance he might die from this virus, but it is so small that, TBH, I'm more concerned my child will get killed falling down stairs.

And don't just take my word for it,  I assume putting a link on to an article in New Scientist (stating children are at very little risk from this virus) is acceptable, or are we saying New Scientist is a biased source ?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237259-why-dont-children-seem-to-get-very-ill-from-the-coronavirus/

Personally I think it would be helpful if people learnt a bit about statistics.

A child, or adult dies and a whole family have their lives changed for the worse forever, no doubt made much worse by the necessary restrictions on visiting hospitals, funerals, and therefore, grieving.

Thousands of people die, and they are "statistics".