Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Coronavirus

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Waldo said:

I’m doing neither, just reporting my experience today, no bog standard Ibuprofen in 3 stores.

Kindly cease from misrepresenting me. Thanks. 

This is often the case at this time of year - people have coughs and colds and Ibuprofen and Paracetamol are being bought as quickly as the stores can restock the shelves. This doesn't mean there is a shortage - just an increase in demand

No misrepresentation there - just facts - best to stick to them at this time don't you think ? Thanks

Edited by Daven

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Daven said:

This is often the case at this time of year - people have coughs and colds and Ibuprofen and Paracetamol are being bought as quickly as the stores can restock the shelves. This doesn't mean there is a shortage - just an increased demand

No misrepresentation there my dear - just facts.

Misrepresentation was in reference to your claim that I was being silly and scaremongering.

Merely stating that people are panic buying an item, is not scaremongering my dear, it’s just stating facts.

Edited by Waldo

9 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Italy are now planning weeks of quarantine & lockdown for 10 million people:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51787238

Unless I've missed the explanation, I can't recall anyone providing an explanation as to why Italy has become such a COVID-19 hot spot? 

I can't work it out either - not sure why it has spread so fast in Italy. One reason i was perhaps thinking is because of the ageing population? So number of people at risk is high - Italy has also got quite a few deaths now (over 200 at time of writing).

I understand the high take up in South Korea - the diffusion has been concentrated around their large church sects I think.

A smooth transition now to this: 

https://www.thecatholicuniverse.com/lourdes-shrine-closes-healing-pools-as-precaution-against-coronavirus-49120

Surely we should be keeping them open?!

9 minutes ago, Daven said:

This is often the case at this time of year - people have coughs and colds and Ibuprofen and Paracetamol are being bought as quickly as the stores can restock the shelves. This doesn't mean there is a shortage - just an increase in demand

No misrepresentation there - just facts - best to stick to them at this time don't you think ? Thanks

but I can see how an increase in demand would result in a shortage or scarcity of something. Even if just in the short term or with some geographic variation.

Similar to the toilet roll panic buying. It is crazy and irrational when considered across the whole of society. But when you consider at the individual level it is a bit more rational. Families will still purchase toilet rolls as part of their regular consumption, however with the current perception of demand being higher (and therefore potential lack of supply, or even potential price increases) you might find families buying slightly more, or more frequently that they may do normally. This is an increase in demand, which can catch inventory/stocktaking in certain places. It doesn't seem to matter though if the fear is real or perceived - the effect is the same.  For me, its been really interesting watching this to see the cohesiveness of society. If everyone just trusted each other not to adopt irregular consumption patterns, then nothing wuld happen. However, the need for individual security outweighs that of societal security (rightly or wrongly) so these things happen.

I realise that wasn't really in response to your point, and I understand what your point and the other posters point was! 

Posted (edited)

On TV yesterday, an expert was asked if you could develop/catch this virus more than once.  "Unlikely" was the reply, as the body's natural antibodies would kick in, defending you against it.

A different expert was asked how you'd know if you had contracted it, as the symptoms resemble a cold, but with an increased temperature. In fact, many people wouldn't actually know that they'd had it.

Given that we ordinarily lose a few thousand a year to "ordinary" flu, why are we bothering to quarantine at all?

If we can't get it twice - and might not even know that we've had it once! - why not let everybody catch it and be done with it?!

Edited by RiffRaff

8 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

On TV yesterday, an expert was asked if you could develop/catch this virus more than once.  "Unlikely" was the reply, as the body's natural antibodies would kick in, defending you against it.

A different expetr was asked how you'd know if you had contracted it, as the symptoms resemble a cold, but with an increased temperature. In fact, many people wouldn't actually know that they'd had it.

Given that we ordinarily lose a few thousand a year to "ordinary" flu, why are we bothering to quarantine at all?

If we can't get it twice - and might not even know that we've had it once! - why not let everybody catch it and be done with it?!

You probably wouldn’t think that if you were 65 and recovering from a heart attack last year or summat like though. 

In Italy the death rate from.the virus is approaching 4% I believe " flu" is less than 0.1%.

As near 10% of confirmed cases end up in hospital ,they are running out of beds and staff  in effected regions, the system can be broke .

Been watching stuff from the World health Organization and US  CDC  .

166 dies just today in Italy. Should we be worried yet?

I just can't get my head around the logic of panic buying ammunition (in the US). I mean, what's the thinking behind that?

Shoot the virus?

Shoot anyone who has the virus?

Store up ammo for the impending zombie apocalypse?

For shooting the Brits that have gone over to buy toilet rolls cos we've none left.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

166 dies just today in Italy. Should we be worried yet?

No mate - be reyt.

worried about older folk - my mrs’ mam has all sorts of respiratory problems and would worry if she got it.

vast amount of people are recovering.

im worried about people acting daft and the associated disruption -  not the virus itself. 

Just now, makapaka said:
Edited by makapaka

55 minutes ago, makapaka said:

No mate - be reyt.

worried about older folk - my mrs’ mam has all sorts of respiratory problems and would worry if she got it.

vast amount of people are recovering.

im worried about people acting daft and the associated disruption -  not the virus itself. 

I've since extrapolated (eh?) that 468 - give or take, based on 2014 figures - have died in italy of cancer today.

So there's that.

My business is based on crowds. The fact that is (sensibly) being discouraged is economically-speaking, disturbing. That said, the work keeps coming in!