Coronavirus

1 hour ago, me-and-pippo said:

It seems to me, that beer & gin are more important than food  😄

I spend all my money on beer, if I've got any left, I fritter it away on food.

5 minutes ago, Padders said:

I spend all my money on beer, if I've got any left, I fritter it away on food.

Now that's a good policy, leave the food for those that need it 😉

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

I just keep thinking, how many more British lives will we lose to coronavirus, because we were slow to lock-down (those in power initially opting for herd immunity)?

Herd immunity that experts doubt exists.

Also due to the running down of the NHS and lack of preparation and inefficiency.

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

Nevertheless, it is entirely possible that more lives will be lost due to keeping the lockdown in place too long, or making it more extreme, than will be saved.

Some of the links Justin has posted have been commenting on exactly that. You seem to be operating on the assumption that more lives will be saved by long term/extreme lockdowns than the deaths it will cause. Which is, as you put it is 'supposition'.

Yes, the deaths being caused now are primarily the result of the virus- the deaths caused by the consequences of extreme/extended lockdown via increased poverty, mental health issues etc will occur in the future- but they may well exceed the virus deaths.

Bear in mind that mind that the pandemic exists in the first place mainly as a result of short term human thinking that focuses on one side of the argument, that led to a world where excess air travel not only has put our entire climate at risk, but also guaranteed the rapid spread of this virus which otherwise would not have become the global menace it now is.

That's why there should be a global ban on all air travel at least until CV-19 deaths stop in every country.

4 hours ago, TurksHead said:

What chippy is that please

New Cod on the Block on Commonside

2 hours ago, taxman said:

The 52 bus seems to be running as normal, I saw a couple yesterday within 5 minutes of each other, both empty so whats the point of running them?

New Cod on the Block at Commonside is still open as is The Dram Shop.

I've had beer deliveries from Beer 52 and Beer Central and my OH has had a 1.75l bottle of gin delivered.

Do you have to pre order From new cod or what?

28 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

Also due to the running down of the NHS and lack of preparation and inefficiency.

That's why there should be a global ban on all air travel at least until CV-19 deaths stop in every country.

I've no problem with a global air ban- I hope that the ban on air travel continues even after the coronavirus crisis is over- deaths from coronavirus will be insignificant in comparison to the deaths from climate catastrophe, and keeping the planes out of the skies would be a very significant advance in cutting global carbon emmisions.

Posted (edited)

Manchester hasn't exactly bathed itself in a lot of glory with police having to break up over 600 parties, some with fireworks, DJ's and bouncy castles.

Edited by Ruddy76

On 18/03/2020 at 20:38, Baron99 said:

COVID-19 isn't going to last forever.  I'd predict Wetherspoons shares will be at least up to £12 by the end of the year. 

Now trading at £10-20p.

30 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Do you have to pre order From new cod or what?

Not sure.  I was just walking past and saw them open.  Could murder some proper chippy fish and chips 

21 minutes ago, Ruddy76 said:

Manchester hasn't exactly bathed itself in a lot of glory with police having to break up over 600 parties, some with fireworks, DJ's and bouncy castles.

It's beyond belief isn't it? 

I'm 50, good job,  partner, semi-detached house, no kids and two cats. Lockdown is frustrating and annoying but you just get on with it. What's three months inconvenience compared to death? 

I saw someone writing to the problem page in the Guardian asking about how they could continue having casual sex during lockdown. WTF!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, francypants said:

Boris is out of intensive care.      :banana:

Maybe he'll be grateful enough not to vote against a public sector pay rise next time he has the chance. 

15 minutes ago, taxman said:

Not sure.  I was just walking past and saw them open.  Could murder some proper chippy fish and chips 

That’s what I was thinking. 

was gonna treat the mrs and young un this weekend.

3 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Oxfam have predicted this virus could cause HALF A BILLION additional people to fall into poverty, which, they say, will be the first global increase in poverty in  thirty years.

Are the lives of those people of less value ?

Are they all going to die?

1 hour ago, Lex Luthor said:

Herd immunity that experts doubt exists.

You can't stop air travel, how are urgent supplies going to be shipped across the world?  By boat?