Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Coronavirus

Do we know if coronavirus is likely to become as serious as annual seasonal flu, 650,000 deaths per year?

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Do we know if coronavirus is likely to become as serious as annual seasonal flu, 650,000 deaths per year?

You’ve taken the highest estimate of global annual seasonal flu deaths.

Taking a reasonable worse case of 40% of the population getting it (no-one has any immunity to it) and a mortality rate of 2%, that would be 60,000,000 deaths. 

That's a rather simplistic sensationalist view of the percentage of the populations chances of getting coronovirus! 

There are many factors to take in to consideration and even the World Health Organisation are not putting a figure on it.

Their website makes interesting reading.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Taking a reasonable worse case of 40% of the population getting it (no-one has any immunity to it) and a mortality rate of 2%, that would be 60,000,000 deaths. 

Imagine if the news updated their headline every time  someone caught seasonal flu though - you’d never leave the house.

Edited by makapaka

We can pick up terms anywhere, anytime. I went to the dentist. The dentist wearing gloves sneezed on the back of glove and carried on with work. I should have said something but when your mouth is stretched open it is difficult. I also think the goggles they put on you are not cleansed each time. 

5 hours ago, Fiat500 said:

We can pick up terms anywhere, anytime. I went to the dentist. The dentist wearing gloves sneezed on the back of glove and carried on with work. I should have said something but when your mouth is stretched open it is difficult. I also think the goggles they put on you are not cleansed each time. 

Think you need to change your dentist mate 🤢

6 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Flu death statistics are from a previous post on this thread, not something I’ve personally verified (not that that’s possible, and there is no guarantee any ‘official’ statistics are accurate in any case).

Been shopping today, and no Ibuprofen anywhere in sight.

Would change dentist but problem getting nhs dentists these days. Couple years ago went to optician and they gave me eye patch for test. I asked for tissue to protect it. Year after they put cover over eye patch, so they listened.

How do you know if you have coronavirus or just had cold or flu. 2 weeks ago I was really ill, sweating, sneezing, headache, sinus problems. At night I slept on top of bed due to being too hot. I had this for 5 days, just took paracetamol and congestion relief. This 2nd time had it this year. Don't even think going to doctor.

30 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Flu death statistics are from a previous post on this thread, not something I’ve personally verified (not that that’s possible, and there is no guarantee any ‘official’ statistics are accurate in any case).

Been shopping today, and no Ibuprofen anywhere in sight.

Plenty in Morrisons halfway (neurofen only), none of the cheaper stuff.

No cans of slimline tonic though!!!!

No cans of slimline tonic though!!!!

.........and Fever Tree doesn’t sound quite right at the moment !

1 minute ago, Mossway said:

No cans of slimline tonic though!!!!

.........and Fever Tree doesn’t sound quite right at the moment !

I'm not paying fever tree money unless I really need to.