Coronavirus

3 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

At last, some sanity! :)

Front page of the guardian this morning-

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/30/uk-police-guidelines-coronavirus-lockdown-enforcement-powers-following-criticism-lord-sumption

"UK police warned against ‘overreach’ in use of virus lockdown powers"

Police chiefs are drawing up new guidance warning forces not to overreach their lockdown enforcement powers after withering criticism of controversial tactics to stop the spread of coronavirus, the Guardian has learned.

The intervention comes amid growing concern that some forces are going beyond their legal powers to stop the spread of Covid-19, with one issuing a summons to a household for shopping for non-essential items and another telling locals that exercise was “limited to an hour a day”.

On Monday, former supreme court justice Lord Sumption said that excessive measures were in danger of turning Britain into a “police state”, singling out Derbyshire police – which deployed drones and dyed the Blue Lagoon near Buxton black to make it less appealing – for “trying to shame people in using their undoubted right to take exercise in the country and wrecking beauty spots in the fells”.

"The Guardian has learned that the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) and College of Policing are rushing through guidance reminding officers that despite politicians’ warnings they cannot bar people from going for a run or a drive.

It will state that while certain actions such as driving to exercise may be unwise, they are not prohibited by the emergency powers, according to sources with knowledge of detailed discussions. It is also expected to conclude the law does not restrict people to exercising outside only once a day."

"Speaking to the BBC, Sumption attacked the behaviour of police and singled out the Derbyshire force.

“The behaviour of the Derbyshire police in trying to shame people in using their undoubted right to take exercise in the country and wrecking beauty spots in the fells so people don’t want to go there is frankly disgraceful,” he said."

"This is what a police state is like, it is a state in which a government can issue orders or express preferences with no legal authority and the police will enforce ministers’ wishes.” He said that the force had “shamed our policing traditions”.

"Stephen White, police and crime commissioner in Durham, said: “I think policing is confused about what it is being asked to do. Police officers have no power to stop people going to the Lake District. It takes a long time to build up trust and a short time to destroy it.”"

So, some very useful info there- there is no restriction of 1 hour for going out to exercise and it is looking like the clarification will dispell the myth that the guidelines restrict exercise to only once a day.

Derbyshire police weren’t “destoying a beauty spot” they were putting black die in an old quarry where the water is more poisonous than bleach, and they do it every year.

33 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Can over 70’s leave the house? I was under the impression that the advice was no. However, looking at the following NHS page, seems like there are no special restrictions for over 70’s based on age alone.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/advice-for-people-at-high-risk/

Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. Everyone can leave the house, even if they are over 70. The people who need to stay in are those classed as 'shielded' or "extremely vulnerable'

"This includes people who:

have had an organ transplant
are having certain types of cancer treatment
have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
have a condition or are taking medicine that makes them much more likely to get infections
are pregnant and have a serious heart condition"

I’d like to see more effective policing of crowds, rather than the odd couple out for a walk with their dog (miles from anyone else). e.g. Crowds of people gathered on railway platforms? Surely, breaking up larger tightly packed crowds will have a bigger impact than going after the odd individual?

34 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Yes, that is correct. Everyone can leave the house, even if they are over 70. The people who need to stay in are those classed as 'shielded' or "extremely vulnerable'

"This includes people who:

have had an organ transplant
are having certain types of cancer treatment
have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
have a condition or are taking medicine that makes them much more likely to get infections
are pregnant and have a serious heart condition"

Everything ive read says its advice, people are "advised" to shield if in extremely vulnerable  group, or, people "should" shield in the extremely vulnerable group,  I can not recollect reading anywhere where anyone official has actually stated you must or shall shield or self isolate.

My GP "advised" me to shield and wait for the shielding letter but told me they are not the ones sending them.

Hospital told me to follow the GP's advice and that I would receive a shielding letter but they were not the ones sending them.

I find it a bit odd they say that as so far the few other people who have received a shielding letter got them from their GP or hospital.

Is anyone watching the news right now listening to the governor of New York basically calling for the creation of an NHS in America, lementing the fact the their current hospital system isn't integrated and pulling together.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Waldo said:

I’d like to see more effective policing of crowds, rather than the odd couple out for a walk with their dog (miles from anyone else). e.g. Crowds of people gathered on railway platforms? Surely, breaking up larger tightly packed crowds will have a bigger impact than going after the odd individual?

well thanks to the police all our local footpaths are now very crowded. Everyone has been pushed out of the countryside onto a very small number of local paths. Might have been better to close the well known honey spot areas in the PD, but allow drives to less well known walks away from villages to avoid this effect (but not too remote -plenty of countryside near sheffield one could drive to in < 10 mins for most of us).

Edited by nightrider

14 minutes ago, Ruddy76 said:

Is anyone watching the news right now listening to the governor of New York basically calling for the creation of an NHS in America, lementing the fact the their current hospital system isn't integrated and pulling together.

Yes I saw that too. You never know, maybe this will see the end of medical apartheid in the USA, with health care for all.

We really are so lucky here to have our NHS health system here. It's not perfect, but it's still something to treasure.

And the latest Uk death toll  for yesterday was 393,

I currently work in a factory that is non essential work,  they are still open and implementing the social distancing which doesnt really work in practise,  clearly its wealth before health...

1 hour ago, banjodeano said:

And the latest Uk death toll  for yesterday was 393,

I currently work in a factory that is non essential work,  they are still open and implementing the social distancing which doesnt really work in practise,  clearly its wealth before health...

My Son's in the same boat (& I have worked at the same place currently being shown on the local news) how can the management be so adamant that they are abiding to the government rules when News footage clearly shows buss's full of workers arriving for work. hundreds of workers entering and exiting at the same time.

no one is allowed to wear a mask because they are 'not part of the uniform' 

A memorandum from the company that they could leave but would only get SSP. (and you can bet any roll on contracts wouldn't be renewed once all this is over) (Cynical Moi!) 

Management make it out its the Union thats causing trouble rather than show concerns for their work force.

I can't use the word Boycott but come on think about - Do you really need that new pair of shoes or that New Hat?

Profit before peoples health.

1 minute ago, PRESLEY said:

Very funny.  Not :gag:.   At least Im not insulting posters. 

Wasn't me Officer.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

My Son's in the same boat (& I have worked at the same place currently being shown on the local news) how can the management be so adamant that they are abiding to the government rules when News footage clearly shows buss's full of workers arriving for work. hundreds of workers entering and exiting at the same time.

no one is allowed to wear a mask because they are 'not part of the uniform' 

A memorandum from the company that they could leave but would only get SSP. (and you can bet any roll on contracts wouldn't be renewed once all this is over) (Cynical Moi!) 

Management make it out its the Union thats causing trouble rather than show concerns for their work force.

I can't use the word Boycott but come on think about - Do you really need that new pair of shoes or that New Hat?

Profit before peoples health.

Yes. Its clothing.    People wear clothing.  Clothes wear out.  People need to replace them.   People grow out of clothing.  People need to buy alternatives.     People buy clothing in shops.  Shops need to obtain stock from suppliers.  Suppliers get stock made by manufacturers.....

Do you see where I am going with this?

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Derbyshire police weren’t “destoying a beauty spot” they were putting black die in an old quarry where the water is more poisonous than bleach, and they do it every year.

Harper Hill is not a beauty spot in the fells..