Coronavirus

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

If he didn't have a proper reason to be there then serves him right. 

I agree. Locals have every reason to be angry when people from outside of their area turn up for no good reason.

Everyone leaving their home should be instructed to write down on a piece of paper where they live, the time they left their home and the reason why they have left their home and show the information to a person of authority if asked to do so. There are far too many people still not taking the instructions to stay at home seriously.

West 77.

No they don't really. That way is vigilantism and anarchy.

Who is going to be appointed,"A person in authority "?

Hey all,

I've been following this thread for a number of weeks, but didn't follow it recently.

Sorry to hear that Sheffield is now affected.

Without trawling through the posts that I missed, I thought I'd offer advice if anyone would like it.

I've been working from home for 7 weeks now. Each week brought a different challenge and opportunity. If there are any questions you'd like to know the answer to - then please do ask.

Maybe some basics:

- I'm pro-masks. Happy to debate this if you would like, however ever since SARS myself and the general population here has been pro-masks. 

- I really self-quarantine myself. Zero trips outside the house unless it is necessary. This has brought a huge change in my lifestyle, as I'm now cooking at home... One or two food poisoning issues but I'm alive.

- I've really struggled trying to convey the same message to some of my family members (who don't live with me). This includes family here and in the UK, although the family in the UK finally came around about 3 weeks ago.

- I was pretty inactive on the sofa for weeks 1-3. Please don't be. I'm now trying to get out the house, and even doing some exercise in the house. Try to keep active and as healthy as possible.

Anyway, any questions - please go for it!

Anybody notice the report from Russia on the BBC news last night?

It showed a church, absolutely rammed with people, all praying for relief from the virus.

There were two women also trying to access the church, who were asked if they were worried about the number of people inside who might be infected.

"No. We'll not catch anything in there. It's a holy place."

Fine, I suppose, to have that much faith, but then it transpired that the woman who'd spoken was.... a doctor.

4 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Do they, and China for that matter, intend to keep it up till a vaccine comes out ? If not what will happen when the virus gets out there again (if relatively few people have had it and therefore become immune to it) ?

So are you thinking this 'herd immunity' will happen everywhere? London is massive with COV19, I guess the infection rate is high there, but its taking a long time to spread up to Scotland in the same concentration.

We should all be encouraged to get the COV19 tracker on our smart phones and test, test and more tests.

Find out who is infected and then we can trace their contacts; and have a better idea of what tactics to follow later this year.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, El Cid said:

So are you thinking this 'herd immunity' will happen everywhere? London is massive with COV19, I guess the infection rate is high there, but its taking a long time to spread up to Scotland in the same concentration.

We should all be encouraged to get the COV19 tracker on our smart phones and test, test and more tests.

Find out who is infected and then we can trace their contacts; and have a better idea of what tactics to follow later this year.

The last I heard :

1 -  Some people have caught this virus more than once, but it's not many and none had it severely the second time. Isn't that par for the course with infections ?

2 - A vaccine will be 12 to 18 months away. Even when it comes out I doubt very much everyone will get it, I'd have thought it'd be like the flu vaccine, i.e. only offered to high risk groups and NHS staff.

3 - There are promising trials of repurposed drugs (and combinations thereof) which lower the severity of the infection (and consequently the death rate) and speed recovery. I heard a report from an "infectious disease expert" (on the BBC though ! ) that these may be available by sometime in April.

This virus is out there, it'll never be put back in its box, we just have to find a way round it, like with all the infections humankind has faced. The only advantage I can see from all this social distancing is to lower the peak numbers of those requiring hospitalisation which is logical. The down side is it then slows how long "herd immunity" takes to build up, but it's also trashing the economy, preventing people who need NHS treatment for other stuff getting it (like that guy on TV awaiting his op for prostate cancer) and possibly having far reaching social implications for those susceptible to mental illness. There is no question people will die of other things (anything from suicide to other medical problems not found or treated) because of the focus on the virus. It's a choice between a rock and hard place, the question is which is worse ?

Edited by Justin Smith

5 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

This virus is out there, it'll never be put back in its box,

Is that true though? I thought with high temps it won't survive. As long as people recover, and no new people get it, won't the virus go away? Barring another bat soup incident of course..

1 minute ago, Eddie_shef said:

Is that true though? I thought with high temps it won't survive. As long as people recover, and no new people get it, won't the virus go away? Barring another bat soup incident of course..

How many other infectious diseases (which have spread as far as this) spontaneously finish ? Particularly when active steps are being taken to prevent as many people as possible from becoming infected ? Isn't the answer zero ?

I am one of the 1.5 million considered a risk during the present Pandemic

I have received loads of texts giving advice on all sorts for which I am grateful, I have also received advice on paper from my GP practice.

I am fortunate during this sad time in being able to manage my situation without any cause for concern

My heart goes out to those at this time who for whatever reason are struggling with life in general 

Chin up folks, we will be back to normal one day !!

14 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

How many other infectious diseases (which have spread as far as this) spontaneously finish ? Particularly when active steps are being taken to prevent as many people as possible from becoming infected ? Isn't the answer zero ?

No I don't think it is...

Malaria is still a massive killer, but it has been possible to eradicate it from certain areas, and it is possible to eradicate it globally if we wanted.

18 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

I think in general that your comments are correct as far as future control is concerned.

I understand that this is related to the various cold viruses rather than flu and no cure was ever found for the common cold.Just a resistance developed over the years.

In the past whole communities have been devastated as a result of contracting diseases from which they had no immunity,but which were not a threat to those who introduced them.