Coronavirus

Tinfoilhat.

They say that knowledge is power.

The more I read about this pandemic the more it depresses me .

I lived through the early days of AIDS  and four of my friends died.

Back then I was young but the unknown engenders that sickening sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. With this lot that feeling 

is back.

My friends and I had a slogan back in the day,"This too will pass".

I have to rise above it and get on. 

Stay well and live long.

43 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well said. Please do keep saying it- I see very little from the replies on here that anyone is taking into account the severe effects on mental health that not being able to go out for a walk/exercise will have on some people. 

I totally get the need to get out the house but equally it's not a free pass to go where you like ie miles away surely?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Strangely, this has been predicted for a long time on the internet; an epidemic, followed by a rescinding of people's human rights  ending in totalitarianism,, and the transfer of wealth power to the few.  

I've always regarded it as nonsense, but it makes you wonder, particularly as I spent a year arguing with my 'conspiracy theorist' 'woke' friend that the banks couldn't possibly crash in 2006. 

It's surprising (and alarming) how often his predictions have come true.  

It is interesting. My theory is that anyone with what I would call 'insight' would have been aware of the possibility of global totalitarianism and also be able to understand some of the causal mechanisms that would lead to it. It is then just a matter of, as time goes by, noticing when those causal mechanisms start occuring. 

'Insight', in the sense I'm using it here, has nothing to do with what I call 'certified intelligence'- which is when a person is classed as intelligent because they possess paper certification (degrees, phd etc)- often those people are noticably lacking in insight.

It is often those that don't have certified intelligence that possess insight- it seems to particularly be present in those who have been denied a place in society- the oppressed, the 'mentally ill', the financially impoverished, who, obviously, are unlikely to progress far in the education system as to do so is not dependant on insight, but on jumping through procederal hoops.

So if we take a specific example like David Icke- some of his thoughts on this slide into global totalitarianism have been stunningly on track, yet the foundation of his thinking is clearly nonsense- he believes that our 'reality' is a projection caused by lizard people who beam the projection into our heads from Saturn, via the Moon being used as an amplifier.

And yet he's been telling us that things like a 'cashless society' are one of the steps to global totalitarianism which clearly is now very much on the cards due to the virus and fears people have with handling money.

But like I said, 'insight' often does occur in 'mentally ill' people and having profound insight is entirely possible with possessing a highly innacurate view of reality. 

Everything Icke says that is insightful and perceptive can be worked out on the basis of seeing causal mechanisms and understanding where they lead, in Ickes case, he sees many of the causal mechanisms and where they are likely leading (global totalitarianism) but, unfortunately cannot take them as simple mechanisms and instead feels to need to posit external causes (lizard people form another dimension) which presumably he 'saw' during earlier episodes of extreme mental illness.

Edited by onewheeldave

46 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

And more smokers, and more elderly.

Yep, it looks like they live more in flats too - all those shared door handles and rails. 

8 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Tinfoilhat.

They say that knowledge is power.

The more I read about this pandemic the more it depresses me .

I lived through the early days of AIDS  and four of my friends died.

Back then I was young but the unknown engenders that sickening sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. With this lot that feeling 

is back.

My friends and I had a slogan back in the day,"This too will pass".

I have to rise above it and get on. 

Stay well and live long.

You too chief!

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I totally get the need to get out the house but equally it's not a free pass to go where you like ie miles away surely?

In that particular post I wasn't defending going miles away, I was pointing out that going out for a walk or exercise is very important for the mental health of some of us, because there are people on here who want the right to go out purely for a walk or exercise to be removed- I'm hoping if they understand that some of us need it for our mental health, that they will calling us irresponsible and stupid.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

I'd like to do some reading, that's why we're asking for the link to where you read it.

I posted a link yesterday in here. That's a really good read, and shows with film different scenarios.

edit: the link in this post

Edited by *_ash_*

Went for a short walk today, only locally, I was passed by a group of 5 girls on horses.

Is it a superiority complex that horse owners have?

We can do what we want?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MillerMike said:

Went for a short walk today, only locally, I was passed by a group of 5 girls on horses.

Is it a superiority complex that horse owners have?

We can do what we want?

I doubt they had a superiority complex, anymore than the large groups of cyclists that have caused the government to specifically threaten to take away the 'privilege' of riding a bike if they don't desist.  I'm personally riding on my own, and I keep my horse at my own place so don't need to mix with anyone else to get him ready so no problem there. Many riders aren't confident taking their horses out on their own (you could argue they shouldn't really be in charge of a horse, but hey ho) we're all having to adapt, and people find new things difficult, so try not to be too judgemental

Edited by NewBiz

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I posted a link yesterday in here. That's a really good read, and shows with film different scenarios.

edit: the link in this post

It was in response to Apelikes post where he claimed that -"Just because you may have had it and may be immune it does not mean that you cannot still spread the virus by touching something/someone who is contaminated and then passing it on to someone else who is not immune. You may not now suffer from it but others still can so for now it's still about social distancing and hand washing to help reduce contamination. It all has to be done in stages."

and I asked him for a link to evidence. He has since clarified that he hasn't got a link to evidence and doesn't need one as he has deduced it from 'logic'.

The link you provide seems to flat out contradict Apelikes claim i.e.

even with 'simulitus' the hypothetical disease they are using as a example in their models, which 

"spreads even more easily than covid-19: whenever a healthy person comes into contact with a sick person, the healthy person becomes sick, too."

"In real life, of course, people eventually recover. A recovered person can neither transmit simulitis to a healthy person nor become sick again after coming in contact with a sick person."

This is saying the exact opposite to Apelikes claim.

Edited by onewheeldave

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

It was in response to Apelikes post where he claimed that -"Just because you may have had it and may be immune it does not mean that you cannot still spread the virus by touching something/someone who is contaminated and then passing it on to someone else who is not immune. You may not now suffer from it but others still can so for now it's still about social distancing and hand washing to help reduce contamination. It all has to be done in stages."

and I asked him for a link to evidence. He has since clarified that he hasn't got a link to evidence and doesn't need one as he has deduced it from 'logic'.

even with 'simulitus' the hypothetical disease they are using as a example in their models, which 

"spreads even more easily than covid-19: whenever a healthy person comes into contact with a sick person, the healthy person becomes sick, too."

"In real life, of course, people eventually recover. A recovered person can neither transmit simulitis to a healthy person nor become sick again after coming in contact with a sick person."

This is saying the exact opposite to apelikes claim.

I don't think it needs evidence , it's slightly different to the models because as you say, this is about a recovered person can't pass it on...

I think the poster means (and I would agree).

Example 1: (link modeling) - I have it, recover, then cough on you. You won't get it.

Example 2: (I think what poster means) - I have it, recover, then I go to shops, touch surface where someone has coughed, then I come home, touch my surfaces, then you in my house touches surface then face... you [may] get it.

I'll let anyone else with more knowledge explain, but that was what I thought they meant.

Would you agree that in example 2, I am not spreading it from myself, but still potentially spreading to others?

actually, I think example 1 isn't clear enough...

I'll quickly add a scenario 3 and it should auto merge

Example 3. I drink a pint of beer, that has coronavirus in it, then I cough on you, you may get it, but that's transmission rather than my infected body giving it you

Edited by *_ash_*

16 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

This is saying the exact opposite to Apelikes claim.

You're misinterpreting what was being claimed.  Of course if you're immune you can't pass it on to healthy people in the traditional 'I sneeze on you so you get ill' way, but you can still have clothes that are covered in virus, or skin that has picked up virus from a surface somewhere that you then spread to someone else!

If anybody fancies terrifying themselves with the numbers of this pandemic, broken down to show quite how badly the UK is doing, and you're on Twitter, can I recommend following John Burn-Murdoch, who is a statistician who works for the Financial Times?  He's on @jburnmurdoch and his analysis, along with the Johns Hopkins university Coronavirus resource centre, are the sources of checked absolute numbers, and comparative stats that show how well, or how badly, each area and country is suppressing the virus.