Coronavirus

If you've been diagnosed with COVID-19 and then fully recovered can you go about your business as usual? Drive out to the Peaks, play at the park, go shopping etc?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, West 77 said:

Too many people are using exercise as an excuse not to stay at home.

You mean the fact we're actively allowed to go out and exercise? Do you suffer from depression or the like? Do you know the mental and physical effects of just being outside and exercising have on people? I guess not. We go for a walk from our small, one bedroom flat so we can get some fresh air and some exercise. We make sure we're 2m+ from anyone we pass and if need be popped into the local One Stop for supplies to minimise the number of times we go out. My partner suffers from depression, getting out of the house and going for a walk helps more than I can possibly describe to you. So yeah, we'll carry on going out for our allowed exercise and doing the social distancing we're advised to do. If you want to stay inside that's fine, but don't tell others that they can't take their allowed exercise however they choose to do it as long as it's within the guidelines.

Edited by probedb

A question to all the Forum:

Is there any possibility of the Gov instructing hospitals to use blanket DNR for elderly (over 70) patients who have been admitted with CoVid-19 ?

37 minutes ago, OneSon said:

If you've been diagnosed with COVID-19 and then fully recovered can you go about your business as usual? Drive out to the Peaks, play at the park, go shopping etc?

In my opinion, no (although shopping and a play in the park aren’t really the same thing). You might still be able to transmit the virus and if you fall off your bike when you’re hurtling down a mountain you’ll be taking up stretched resources.

I guess you could volunteer more effectively though.

361 confirmed cases in Sheffield, the 3rd highest in the country, after Birmingham at 428, and Hampshire (yes I know that's a county, not a city, but that's how Public Health England are recording their data) at 384. Check out the stats here https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

Worrying reading, and perhaps a wake-up call to anyone who still feels complacent/invulnerable/immortal ?

I'm afraid the "herd immunity" theory was wildly incorrect.

Bozza, though, will be able to hide behind "scientific advice."

3 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Is there any possibility of the Gov instructing hospitals to use blanket DNR for elderly (over 70) patients who have been admitted with CoVid-19 ?

Without a doubt - you’ll be seeing that in London in a week tops when they run out of ventilators. As I understand it (I’ll find a link to verify) some Italian hospitals were just sedating the elderly who came in too far gone and not putting them on ventilators at all, and I read that over a week ago, so maybe not blanket DNR but some very very tough triage decisions.

That said, a 101 has just been released from hospital out there.

11 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

100% not - if only because any rationing of treatment would be based on likelihood of recovering and of benefiting afterwards rather than on an arbitrary age limit.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, OneSon said:

A person may be fully recovered but is still does not stop them from transmitting and spreading the virus to others.

Just seen the Government briefing with Alok Sharma and NHS England medical director, Prof Stephen Powis and urge others to as well.

Edited by apelike

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, apelike said:

A person may be fully recovered but is still does not stop them from transmitting and spreading the virus to others.

Just seen the Government briefing with Alok Sharma and NHS England medical director, Prof Stephen Powis and urge others to as well.

So why are they working on the antibody tests? 

Cheap, reliable antibody tests that reveal whether someone has previously had Covid-19 are viewed as crucial for managing the next phase of the pandemic. Population-level screening can gauge the overall level of immunity and can allow people to incrementally return to work.

From...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-latest-scientific-advances-antibody-testing-virus-mutations

Edited by nikki-red

15 minutes ago, steved32 said:

I'm afraid the "herd immunity" theory was wildly incorrect.

Not necessarily as it was a viable theory at the time.