Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The 2 km limit is a good idea. Too many people are using exercise as an excuse not to stay at home.  I was listening to TalkSport yesterday and heard Darren Gough saying he had been on a 15 mile bike ride with his son for his exercise.  No need to go on bike rides.

Yes there is every need to go on bike rides, for mental health as well as physical health.

I would say it is a great opportunity for families to exercise their young riders road skills over an hour out locally. 

Some drivers though think they can now speed around Sheffield (including HGV's) so people need to be careful of the village idiots.

Volunteer blood test cyclists can cover 50 miles per day from hospital to hospital

1 hour ago, davyboy said:

There must be a few forumers over 70 who are not in the  critical list .

What are you doing about shopping?

I'm over 70, but pride myself at being fit and healthy.. I can give 40yr olds a good run for their money..

So I'm carrying on as normal as is possible.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Green Slime said:

Yes there is every need to go on bike rides, for mental health as well as physical health.

I would say it is a great opportunity for families to exercise their young riders road skills over an hour out locally. 

Some drivers though think they can now speed around Sheffield (including HGV's) so people need to be careful of the village idiots.

Volunteer blood test cyclists can cover 50 miles per day from hospital to hospital

As I mentioned earlier, keeping as fit as possible has never been more important, it could save ones life *. But, if one is very fit, a walk of a  few miles is not going to keep you at your previous fitness level, not unless it's fast and uphill of course ! This a problem I sometimes have when lane swimming, slower swimmers sometimes seem to think you're being aggressive overtaking them, but if a good swimmer doesn't swim hard it's a waste of time them being there.

* Am I right that a bad episode of this virus affects ones lung function ? If that's the case I'd have thought those with high lung capacity should be in a better position to get through it, is that right ?

Edited by Justin Smith

Just finished some shopping on The Moor.  While Sainsbury's is operating a one out, one in policy & making the customers form an orderly queue, over the road at Moor Market, just a hoard stood about at the main door, no social distancing whatsoever.  

Sheffield has one of the highest number of cases outside of London yet you got a large number of idiots at the Market door breathing all over each other.  It's a breeding ground for infection. 

Last Tuesday that bit of The Moor had a number of police stationed on it, asking people what they were doing, this morning, not a single officer or PCSO to be seen.

If I could work out how to post a photo on SF, I'd include one of the inconsiderate idiots who might be responsible for tying up NHS resources in the coming days. 

Posted (edited)

Onewheeldave.

You raise some interesting points.

It was bound to happen.

I said in an earlier post that the social fabric 

will come under increasing pressure.

Will these emergency powers ever be removed?

The Imperial College Report suggest that if the measures for virus suppression are removed too quickly the virus will Rebound.

Consequently  the emergency measures may be in place for 18 months-or even more.

One must always be vigilant  regarding the intrusion of the State 

into ones personal liberty.

Now the agencies of the State have carte blanche to implement

measures that  infringe personal liberty.

I watched a video,where a youth kicked the post man's van

after the youth was told to go home.

The longer the measures go on the greater will be the tension 

between the police /army and the public.

I fear that the crisis will never be over.Every year  there will be a viral pandemic threatening, and emergency measures put into place.

Personal freedom to act in accordance with ones conscience

will never be restored.

We can build space stations and send rockets to the edge of the Solar System. But an object that isn't even biologically classed as alive; can challenge us and bring the global economy to its knees and have our personal liberty curtailed. I observe the rules but have an eye on the psycho authoritarians, who will surely come out of the woodwork.

Science needs to up its game in the war against bacteria and viruses.

Pestilence may very well bring about our extinction.

God knows what horrible nasty bacteria and viruses  might be released as the  Arctic permafrost melts .

Edited by nikki-red
Removed unnecessary bold

Posted (edited)

Padders,

I'm 70. I walk to the Co-op at Heeley Green.

I have Asthma  but it's well controlled.

I don't expect my neighbours to come running to my assistance.

My Church, St Jame's the Great in Norton ,keeps in touch.

God bless the Co-op.

Edited by petemcewan

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Green Slime said:

Without sounding nanny state, I think important points (obvious ones perhaps), and I'm going to write them anyway as good warning on last page. This is TO ALL members here, but just quoting you Green, as this is common topic.

I think it's worth also practising slightly more careful bike rides (i.e. don't go scambling in the woods or peaks, and doing jumps and things). - I know you aren't suggesting this though! :)

People do injure themselves every day on bikes, and looking at the NGH now, trust me you DO NOT want to be going there at all. (esp. no virus). Normally just ring up if break arm/writst/leg etc., or drive to hospital. This is the last place you want to end up now.

I've been doing lots in the garden (lots will be DIYing etc, too) but I've taken decision to not do what I have been doing, (some higher work) as unnecessary risks. As the country starts painting their houses, and doing jobs in the house, don't take silly risks.

good info post here: @butlers

The post about Edale mountain rescue on last page which I'll link again - is linked to this too.

Edited by *_ash_*

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Just finished some shopping on The Moor.  While Sainsbury's is operating a one out, one in policy & making the customers form an orderly queue, over the road at Moor Market, just a hoard stood about at the main door, no social distancing whatsoever. 

I went into our local McColls last night. They have adopted a similar stance as the big boys, allowing only 3 people in the shop at a time, and have a clear sign outside advising you. So far, so good. Once inside, they have marked the floor in front of the tills with the required distancing, the staff were wearing gloves, and request that you pay by card to avoid handling cash. Again, all good and commendable.

As I entered, there were two drunks standing right next to each other at the till. Loud, totally ignorant of the current regulation - or perhaps, simply totally ignorant, full stop. They eventually staggered off together, only inches apart.

I eventually got to the till, and respectfully waited for the till bloke to signal me forward.

As I stood waiting to pay, another bloke came in, walked so close to me that our clothes touched, just to get to the booze display at my side.

He wasn't drunk (then), but obviously didn't care that someone was "in the way".

You don't need many cretins like these to make social distancing a problem...

Edited by RiffRaff

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The 2 km limit is a good idea. Too many people are using exercise as an excuse not to stay at home.  I was listening to TalkSport yesterday and heard Darren Gough saying he had been on a 15 mile bike ride with his son for his exercise.  No need to go on bike rides.

There is a need- exercise is very good for physical health which will help if someone gets infected. It is also very good for mental health, which is a key for vulnerable people wanting to get through this. And, just to repeat, exercising outside alone [or with a person who lives with you] carries no risk of transmitting the virus.

1 hour ago, petemcewan said:

Onewheeldave.

You raise some interesting points.

It was bound to happen.

I said in an earlier post that the social fabric 

will come under increasing pressure.

Will these emergency powers ever be removed?

The Imperial College Report suggest that if the measures for virus suppression are removed too quickly the virus will Rebound.

Consequently  the emergency measures may be in place for 18 months-or even more.

One must always be vigilant  regarding the intrusion of the State 

into ones personal liberty.

Now the agencies of the State have carte blanche to implement

measures that  infringe personal liberty.

I watched a video,where a youth kicked the post man's van

after the youth was told to go home.

The longer the measures go on the greater will be the tension 

between the police /army and the public.

I fear that the crisis will never be over.Every year  there will be a viral pandemic threatening, and emergency measures put into place.

Personal freedom to act in accordance with ones conscience

will never be restored.

Tell me about it :)

I really hope that's not how this works out, but, it is a very real possibility, if global totalitarianism is a possibility, it has no better opportunity than this.

Edited by nikki-red
Removed unnecessary bold

My list of businesses that I will definitely avoid in the future because they threaded their employers like crap during coronovirus.

-wetherspoons 

-Sports Direct

-Pretty Little thing

Absolute disgrace 

25 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Without sounding nanny state, I think important points (obvious ones perhaps), and I'm going to write them anyway as good warning on last page. This is TO ALL members here, but just quoting you Green, as this is common topic.

I think it's worth also practising slightly more careful bike rides (i.e. don't go scambling in the woods or peaks, and doing jumps and things). - I know you aren't suggesting this though! :)

People do injure themselves every day on bikes, and looking at the NGH now, trust me you DO NOT want to be going there at all. (esp. no virus). Normally just ring up if break arm/writst/leg etc., or drive to hospital. This is the last place you want to end up now.

I've been doing lots in the garden (lots will be DIYing etc, too) but I've taken decision to not do what I have been doing, (some higher work) as unnecessary risks. As the country starts painting their houses, and doing jobs in the house, don't take silly risks.

good info post here: @butlers

The post about Edale mountain rescue on last page which I'll link again - is linked to this too.

That's a very good point- I believe people exercising outdoors alone is a very good idea, for reasons I've given elsewhere on this thread, but, doing that exercise safely is critical.

Being autistic accessing a hospital is difficult even during 'normal' times, but I'm guessing that I'd have zero chance now.

Have you actually been at the NGH recently? What is happening with the emergency admissions part? (the part that deals with not virus stuff, like broken limbs, heart attacks etc).

People still do not understand whats happening or what they should be doing, just this morning seeing someone post on social media that they rode from their house into the nearby countryside, rode on trails and tracks had to climb fences and walls and got lost in some woods and then commended themselves on social distancing.

This is not really the time to be trying to carry on as near normal as possible.