Coronavirus

41 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

On the contrary Anna...I think Boris has just won the next election by a landslide.

From my personal experience over the last few weeks, I suspect an overwhelming  majority of the British public think that Boris, his scientific advisers and the team around him are doing a very good job of handling the worst crisis I have ever known in my 52 years. 

The response is not perfect and many mistakes have been made, but he and his team have acted quickly and firmly to ramp up responses as the situation evolves...to try and keep ahead of events.

He has acted generously to support working families of all types and I don't think people will forget that at the next election.

I honestly think this is his "Falklands" moment.

I think deep down the opposition know this...

He has cut their legs from under them.

I hope he gets better soon as well, as will most people without an axe to grind..

Boris is doing a first class job .......................................................... of copying exactly what Macron has done here in France the week before.

I do hope his health doesn't get worse - Raab as acting PM doesn't bear thinking about.

Posted (edited)

Was it a police surveillance aeroplane that was circling around at a low altitude in Sheffield just earlier?

Edited by Ruddy76

46 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

On the contrary Anna...I think Boris has just won the next election by a landslide.

From my personal experience over the last few weeks, I suspect an overwhelming  majority of the British public think that Boris, his scientific advisers and the team around him are doing a very good job of handling the worst crisis I have ever known in my 52 years. 

Well you have made your mind up already. How do you know how Boris has handled this pandemic, its only just starting.

4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Boris is doing a first class job .......................................................... of copying exactly what Macron has done here in France the week before.

I do hope his health doesn't get worse - Raab as acting PM doesn't bear thinking about.

What is Macron doing for the self employed in France? 

On another coronavirus note... 

I don't watch TV so have the adverts changed at all or are they still advertising people buy stuff when shops are either shut or low on stocks?

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The Labour party's policies to stave off austerity were all carefully costed and funded, but got drowned out by Tory shouts of Labour's 'money tree.' Had these policies been implemented, particularly in the health service, we would have been in a better position to fight the Coronavirus.  

Now the Conservatives have their own (uncosted) money tree and are throwing more money at it than would have been necessary (fix your roof when the sun shines) with more support.

There is going to e yet more austerity after this to pay it back, but of course Boris now has an iron clad excuse.

Was the money and loss of life worth it in the Falklands? Or was it a handy diversion for Margaret Thatcher's falling popularity ratings? You decide.

On a personal level, I also wish Boris well, and his partner who must also be very worried. 

(I think political argument belongs in the Conservative party thread rather than here, so will continue if necessary in there, leaving this free for people worried about coronavirus.) 

My comment is simply my observation of how I think people will view the Government's response to this crisis...and I think that will be positively.

Please do not presume to think I am not worried about Coronavirus. As I speak, the mother of my kids is working down at SCH to help keep things ticking along, despite requiring an inhaler for her asthma...like millions of others of unsung heroes going about their daily jobs. I also live two doors up from a nurse and teacher, who both have tested positive and I would willingly donate my last box of paracetamol to help them out...not because it looks good on social media, but because they are my neighbours and I would like to help if I can.

Thankfully after a high fever for 2 days and a loss of taste and smell, they are on the mend...so things do get better...even if stricken with this horrible disease.

I also have elderly parents many miles away, that are thankfully being looked out for by their neighbours...who will get taken out to dinner by me when this is all over.

I am thankful that at present I have many less problems than many others...who I wish all the best in their private struggles.

All I was trying to illustrate was that at times like this it is really great to see millions of people pulling together and putting their political differences aside to help each other...which restores my faith in human nature.

I also think many positive changes will come out of this crisis in areas such as globalisation, local manufacturing and supply chains, community spirit and even China itself.

Which will be great, as these things are long overdue.

7 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Well you have made your mind up already. How do you know how Boris has handled this pandemic, its only just starting.

From my rear window I can see two confirmed cases emerging from quarantine and now hanging out the washing...so I can see a light at the end of the tunnel in at least two cases...

32 minutes ago, apelike said:

On another coronavirus note... 

I don't watch TV so have the adverts changed at all or are they still advertising people buy stuff when shops are either shut or low on stocks?

No still advertising like usual and promoting Easter buys-but I suppose the  commercial TV  still needs the income 

Speaking of tv, I'm watch Virus: silent Killers on discovery.

Just, don't. 🙁

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

There are no members of this forum who have any knowledge of what's coming.

So why spread the misinformation? 

Me spreading misinformation, just unbelievable.

Predicting a financial meltdown, is hardly scaremongering - it's happening right now. I don't know if you just read social media, but if you go outside, almost everything is closed. Ring any bells?

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

(I think political argument belongs in the Conservative party thread rather than here, so will continue if necessary in there, leaving this free for people worried about coronavirus.) 

Well said Anna, think you should do this more often instead of saturating  other threads with your political views.

I didn't start bringing politics into this thread, nor am I the only one. Unfortunately it's hard to keep politics out of anything that affects the population. It's a question of knowing which aspect to prioritise.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Me spreading misinformation, just unbelievable.

Predicting a financial meltdown, is hardly scaremongering - it's happening right now. I don't know if you just read social media, but if you go outside, almost everything is closed. Ring any bells?

You are also predicting the end of a large swathe of social life, for probably years.

"People going to bars and restaurants and nightclubs, and using hotels, and arena events, all packed places with people, is now a thing of the past, for probably years."

You have zero knowledge that will be the case. Things are closed at present. For how long, nobody knows, including you. Am I wrong?

So, whilst I didn't actually use the phrase scaremongering, you did, and it feels appropriate.

Edited by Bargepole23