Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

They did introduce measures in January. They were testing and doing contact tracing. This is the first of the stepped measures. 

Testing and contact tracing are not 'measures' when they are carried out of local initiative by a hospital or another, because the interns have heard about this new virus in China in the Lancet.

So what 'measures' were these, then? Ordering ventilators? PPE kit for NHS frontline staff? Testing travellers at ports and airports of entry? Even thinking about these? How about merely counting ventilators (do you have 12k, or 8k? Because your HealthSec still seems confused).

Was 'herd immunity' such a step, then?

I'm not surprised you're defending your government. Nor am I surprised about posters like West77 wallowing in exceptionalism for comfort. It's alright: Covid-19 doesn't care one molecule about politics, still less about incompetent populists.

Hmmmm....maybe Nadine Dorries was allowed back in a bit too early!

22 minutes ago, OneSon said:

mild symptoms. Like all the big names who are getting it. 

16 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Sorry to disagree with you P, but pensioners will have to take the pain of this just like everyone else, arguably more so as they've had it easier (the pensions "Triple Lock") for so long.

* For those of you who don't know what the "Triple Lock" is, the state pension goes up by the rate of inflation, or average  earnings or a minimum 2.5%, whichever is the greatest.

It was never justifiable and it certainly isn't now.

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The international press give a different perspective so it's interesting to read. 

Boris Johnson is a master of spin, his approval ratings may have soared, among those who don't look any further than the headlines and propaganda.

Try replacing the name Boris with 'Dominic Cummings' and see if you're still so impressed.

3 good reasons why I've slowly been giving up most of my internet time after 22 years on spending most evenings on it (though not social media)

Go on, entertain the rest of  Anna with how you would have done things better

unbelievable, considering you claim to read further than headlines, you are living in the bleedin clouds. 

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

3 good reasons why I've slowly been giving up most of my internet time after 22 years on spending most evenings on it (though not social media)

Go on, entertain the rest of  Anna with how you would have done things better

unbelievable, considering you claim to read further than headlines, you are living in the bleedin clouds. 

They should have done this , should have done that.

Don't bother replying as it will all be usual hindsight nonsense.

The world will be full of people like this in future... why didn't they do this and that.

Absolutely clueless.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Padders said:

Wait till the crisis is over Anna, and the Tories use it as an excuse to screw the lot of us, his approval ratings might just take a tumble.

Time will tell...

screw the lot of us?

You really either need to look at what's happening, and wonder where all this money will come from in future. The financial crash of 2008 now looks like a minor event and probably will lose it's place in history as a drop in the ocean.

People think life going back to normal in a few months, or even years, need to ask other members in here who have knowledge, rather than social media... they'll tell you what's coming.

My trade is finished like millions of others. People going to bars and restaurants and nightclubs, and using hotels, and arena events, all packed places with people, is now a thing of the past, for probably years. Thousands of jobs, (many 'zero hours contracts) that Anna spent last few years moaning about - gone.

Normality has changed, forever.

Edited by *_ash_*

44 minutes ago, L00b said:

Testing and contact tracing are not 'measures' when they are carried out of local initiative by a hospital or another, because the interns have heard about this new virus in China in the Lancet.

So what 'measures' were these, then? Ordering ventilators? PPE kit for NHS frontline staff? Testing travellers at ports and airports of entry? Even thinking about these? How about merely counting ventilators (do you have 12k, or 8k? Because your HealthSec still seems confused).

Was 'herd immunity' such a step, then?

I'm not surprised you're defending your government. Nor am I surprised about posters like West77 wallowing in exceptionalism for comfort. It's alright: Covid-19 doesn't care one molecule about politics, still less about incompetent populists.

This is nonsense. Contact tracing was not done because hospital 'interns' heard about the new virus in the Lancet. It was undertaken by Public Health England. 

9 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

This is nonsense. Contact tracing was not done because hospital 'interns' heard about the new virus in the Lancet. It was undertaken by Public Health England. 

So is your claim that what testing Public Health England may have done back in

January, amounted to a government 'measure', moreover implying that same was part of a carefully thought-out, stepped policy :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

So is your claim that what testing Public Health England may have done back in

January, amounted to a government 'measure', moreover implying that same was part of a carefully thought-out, stepped policy :rolleyes:

Contact tracing was the first step yes, just like it was on practically every other country that has been hit with the virus, and recommended by the WHO. 

Why do you think it was initiated by interns reading the Lancet?

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

screw the lot of us?

You really either need to look at what's happening, and wonder where all this money will come from in future. The financial crash of 2008 now looks like a minor event and probably will lose it's place in history as a drop in the ocean.

People think life going back to normal in a few months, or even years, need to ask other members in here who have knowledge, rather than social media... they'll tell you what's coming.

My trade is finished like millions of others. People going to bars and restaurants and nightclubs, and using hotels, and arena events, all packed places with people, is now a thing of the past, for probably years. Thousands of jobs, (many 'zero hours contracts) that Anna spent last few years moaning about - gone.

Normality has changed, forever.

There are no members of this forum who have any knowledge of what's coming.

So why spread the misinformation? 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

The international press give a different perspective so it's interesting to read. 

Boris Johnson is a master of spin, his approval ratings may have soared, among those who don't look any further than the headlines and propaganda.

Try replacing the name Boris with 'Dominic Cummings' and see if you're still so impressed.

On the contrary Anna...I think Boris has just won the next election by a landslide.

From my personal experience over the last few weeks, I suspect an overwhelming  majority of the British public think that Boris, his scientific advisers and the team around him are doing a very good job of handling the worst crisis I have ever known in my 52 years. 

The response is not perfect and many mistakes have been made, but he and his team have acted quickly and firmly to ramp up responses as the situation evolves...to try and keep ahead of events.

He has acted generously to support working families of all types and I don't think people will forget that at the next election.

I honestly think this is his "Falklands" moment.

I think deep down the opposition know this...

He has cut their legs from under them.

I hope he gets better soon as well, as will most people without an axe to grind..

One thing I can't understand is why testing is so important in a virus that may mutate. How many times a year will I need to be tested for coronavirus when testing comes out? I could be tested today and have a negative result returned but still get it in a few weeks time.

Can anybody here help with the above as it may just be me not understanding testing.

Posted (edited)

The Labour party's policies to stave off austerity were all carefully costed and funded, but got drowned out by Tory shouts of Labour's 'money tree.' Had these policies been implemented, particularly in the health service, we would have been in a better position to fight the Coronavirus.  

Now the Conservatives have their own (uncosted) money tree and are throwing more money at it than would have been necessary (fix your roof when the sun shines) with more support.

There is going to e yet more austerity after this to pay it back, but of course Boris now has an iron clad excuse.

Was the money and loss of life worth it in the Falklands? Or was it a handy diversion for Margaret Thatcher's falling popularity ratings? You decide.

On a personal level, I also wish Boris well, and his partner who must also be very worried. 

(I think political argument belongs in the Conservative party thread rather than here, so will continue if necessary in there, leaving this free for people worried about coronavirus.) 

Edited by Anna B

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The Labour party's policies to stave off austerity were all carefully costed and funded, but got drowned out by Tory shouts of Labour's 'money tree.' Had these policies been implemented, particularly in the health service, we would have been in a better position to fight the Coronavirus.  

But would we? Labour's manifesto policy was to increase spending on the NHS by 4.3% PA so it would have taken several years to have much of a knock on effect and would not have been of much use with this caronavirus outbreak. Doing most of the other stuff promised in healthcare would also have taken years, so no help there either.

Like it or not the unknown cannot be planned for.