Coronavirus

26 minutes ago, L00b said:

It'd have been nice of them to introduce stepped measures from January onwards, when they already knew full well about Covid-19 from the Chinese PM.

Rather than sit on their thumb until a week ago  or so, and then try to spin their incompetence  with ever bigger lies.

The latest, that the EU invite to partake in pooled ventilator procuring went into Johnson's spam  folder. 2 days after Hancock clearly and unambiguously acknowledged that offer on Newsnight, and in the face of an earlier, pretty clear government message that, until last night and the involvement of Johnson's spam folder, the UK's refusal to partake was policy/deliberate.

You should see the international press today.

They did introduce measures in January. They were testing and doing contact tracing. This is the first of the stepped measures. 

46 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

You’re both wrong I’m afraid. I think they’re doing the right thing.

In that case why didn't you just  acknowledge that fact rather than make the monkey tree quip?

26 minutes ago, L00b said:

It'd have been nice of them to introduce stepped measures from January onwards, when they already knew full well about Covid-19 from the Chinese PM.

Rather than sit on their thumb until a week ago  or so, and then try to spin their incompetence  with ever bigger lies.

The latest, that the EU invite to partake in pooled ventilator procuring went into Johnson's spam  folder. 2 days after Hancock clearly and unambiguously acknowledged that offer on Newsnight, and in the face of an earlier, pretty clear government message that, until last night and the involvement of Johnson's spam folder, the UK's refusal to partake was policy/deliberate.

You should see the international press today.

I'm not interested in the international press.  Since the Coronavirus  crisis Boris Johnson's approval rating has soared.  Most of the country support Boris Johnson's Government handling of the crisis.  

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Hi RiffRaff,

I mentioned it previously (on this thread) pretty much as soon as it was announced on the news. A couple of people responded, generally commenting on royal privilege.

To my mind, it would have been more appropriate to give the 2 tests to NHS workers, than to Charles and Camila. I’m no royalist at the best of times, but, I guess more important things for us to be concerned with right now. 😕

Apologies - missed it.

"More important things" doesn't usually bother certain people on this forum! ;-)

just saw on a  news channel , that boris has gone into isolation as he has tested positive!!

1 minute ago, stylefree said:

just saw on a  news channel , that boris has gone into isolation as he has tested positive!!

mild symptoms. Like all the big names who are getting it. 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Do you know? 

I'm sure the Italians would  be chuffed at this moment in time, that we can give so much time & energy over to arguing over semantics & being pedantic. 

TBH I think we're suffering from a breakdown in communication here.

We have the leader that we elected and we have got to hope that he is listens to the experts.

Just hearing Boris tested positive with mild symptoms.

To continue.

I just hope that the governments judgement is not affected by dogma of any kind ,as seems might have been the case with the opportunity to answer the e mail.

Perhaps it’s an age thing but I find it hard to have confidence in the likes of Matt Hancock who looks out of his depth at the moment 

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Not sure if any measures could have been put in place in Janurary, but by February they should have been preparing the NHS.

Feb 1st Singapore confirms two more cases, bringing the total to 18, so we knew it was spreading. The United States of America reported its eighth case. A week later the UK had its own cases.

On Feb 29th in Hong Kong, several small surgical mask factories began mass production. Azerbaijan shuts down its border with Iran, we havnt closed any borders and we are poor at checking people at airports.

2 minutes ago, RJRB said:

We have the leader that we elected and we have got to hope that he is listens to the experts.

Just hearing Boris tested positive with mild symptoms.

He obviously hasnt listened to the experts about social distanceing; although the media will say he is putting his health on the line, for the people.

46 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm not interested in the international press.  Since the Coronavirus  crisis Boris Johnson's approval rating has soared.  Most of the country support Boris Johnson's Government handling of the crisis.  

Brain dead comment of the week award goes to ^^^

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Obviously this crisis has to be paid for..

Could the government introduce an emergency Coronavirus tax measure, everyone earning above the national average paying more.

Pensioners and the low paid not being penalised.. when the books are balanced, abolish it. Or will the government simply use it as an excuse to screw the lot of us.

Sorry to disagree with you P, but pensioners will have to take the pain of this just like everyone else, arguably more so as they've had it easier (the pensions "Triple Lock") for so long.

* For those of you who don't know what the "Triple Lock" is, the state pension goes up by the rate of inflation, or average  earnings or a minimum 2.5%, whichever is the greatest.

It was never justifiable and it certainly isn't now.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, West 77 said:

In that case why didn't you just  acknowledge that fact rather than make the monkey tree quip?

The international press give a different perspective so it's interesting to read. 

Boris Johnson is a master of spin, his approval ratings may have soared, among those who don't look any further than the headlines and propaganda.

Try replacing the name Boris with 'Dominic Cummings' and see if you're still so impressed.

Edited by Anna B

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Boris Johnson is a master of spin, his approval ratings may have soared, among those who don't look any further than the headlines and propaganda. 

Wait till the crisis is over Anna, and the Tories use it as an excuse to screw the lot of us, his approval ratings might just take a tumble.

Time will tell...