Coronavirus

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, makapaka said:

I think the government are doing ok and ordinarily I’m a massive critic of the prime minister and tory party.

this is unprecedented though and generally I think they’re doing a good job.

plus I think nothing can be gained by politicising this now.

weve just got to stick together and keep on keeping on.

Good post. I'm no lover of any party.

i think the government are doing a good job, but not just them, all the parties are working together and sharing info, to find best possible answers.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I'm sorry, but the clapping at 8 o' clock really annoyed me. We can stand and clap all we want, but what our health professionals really need isn't applause, it's  proper Personal Protection Equipment, and they've been woefully let down not to have it. But of course the papers and media will be full of the clapping tomorrow, and the serious problem will be ignored. You can trust Boris to know how to sidestep bad publicity.

In spite of plenty of warning, this government is making  our dedicated health workers go into battle without armour, and that's a scandal. The government should be ashamed.

I can answer all of your points quite easily.

1. Don't watch the news, other than important announcements

2. Don't read social media, other than important and helpful groups

3. Go and buy 10 tonnes of Pasta now. 10 million facemasks, , see how you do,  when every other person AND country is all wanting the same things

4. The reason the media will show clapping is because although NHS staff probably don't want praising right now, it's a plight to get people joining together and keeping positive.

5. If the papers showed what was really happening in the hospitals, the whole country could potentially end up in chaos, this is why positive messages.

6. You should be ashamed for causing so much negativity.

You clearly are only using online talk, and no idea what's going on, because people aren't talking about it.

-

Do you think the Daily Rags in WW2 were saying how bad things are?

If anything, I'm surprised more than anything that they aren't reporting the ****.

I've just about finished now posting online other than with online or personal friends, or helping people.

I'm not arguing anymore.

I think though, shocking posts from you Anna. I'm really shocked that at times like this, you still just spout out the same negativity.

You either have no idea what's going on, or have an idea, and are being argument as usual.

Edited by *_ash_*

7 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Broadly speaking there are two possibilities, both consistent with the progress of the epidemic so far:

1. The percentage of people who develop serious illness when infected (call this 'rho') is relatively big, in which case the percentage of people who've already been exposed to the virus (call this 'z') has to be relatively small, or

2. rho is relatively small, in which case z has to be relatively big.  This is what the Oxford group argue, based on established methodology and estimates of rho from the WHO and published in the Lancet, plus circumstantial evidence like the first case in the UK having been recorded back at the end of January.

As mentioned several times, you can't easily discriminate between these two hypotheses, at this stage, without doing a proper survey of the population as a whole.  Hopefully the blood drop antibody test will be shown to work OK, which would make such a survey feasible.

Well, the Oxford study is effectively getting trashed in the FT today. 

It makes the point where wide spread testing has been adopted, there is NO incidence of asymptomatic carriers on the scale the Oxford study claims. NONE whatsoever. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, El Cid said:

We are not testing, so our death rate is not comparable with theirs.

So testing implies death rate? The mortality rate is constant for COVID-19, it can't change because of the degree of testing that you do. We just do not know, but the Italians have a better idea. Our stats are so rubbish that we have a mortality rate of closed cases of 81%. What does that tell you? If you are sick enough to get tested as per NHS guidelines, you are not likely to survive. Think about that. 

Edited by Albert the Cat

Posted (edited)

The self isolation just isn’t getting though to the African, Malayan immigrants where I live, the Africans  are going out two or three times a day visit their friends just over the road, the Malayans are going out shopping every day in groups of two and threes. One bloke goes out in his car several times a day, not taking out anything or bringing anything back and no he’s not caring for anyone. Families are letting their children out in close proximity of older people. The immigrants can’t grasp the situation and the whites just aren’t bothered.

Edited by lazarus

17 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

First two confirmed cases in the UK were on 31st January according to the ECDC dataset.

The all important word there being "confirmed".

13 hours ago, Baron99 said:

The poor Italians.  Their death rate is running at 10% & the spread of the virus is now moving to the South of the country. 

We're supposed to be a couple of weeks behind them?  Our current death rate is currently no where near theirs.  Let's hope the self-isolation, social distancing & home working, helps to keep it that way? 

Where are you getting the Italian death rate at 10% ?

If it's simply dividing "confirmed cases" by deaths that's a totally meaningless statistic because it doesn't could the far larger number of people who have had the virus but haven't been tested

1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

Well, the Oxford study is effectively getting trashed in the FT today. 

It makes the point where wide spread testing has been adopted, there is NO incidence of asymptomatic carriers on the scale the Oxford study claims. NONE whatsoever. 

As I have already posted, the official Govt advice if you or anyone in your family has this virus is NOT to tell them, much less be tested. Obviously if the patient's symptoms become critical they'd then go into hospital, but, the VAST majority of those who have no symptoms / mild  symptoms / not critical symptoms will never show up in the statistics.

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

The Conservative 2019 manifesto said :- "No increases to income tax, National Insurance or VAT".

The Conservative 2019 manifesto didn't say they would pay the nation's wages in 2020 and all pubs / restaurants and non essential businesses would close.

That manifesto is null and void. The nation will be paying more income tax National Insurance and VAT for most likely at least the next decade after the Coronavirus has been controlled. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

The all important word there being "confirmed".

Where are you getting the Italian death rate at 10% ?

If it's simply dividing "confirmed cases" by deaths that's a totally meaningless statistic because it doesn't could the far larger number of people who have had the virus but haven't been tested

As I have already posted, the official Govt advice if you or anyone in your family has this virus is NOT to tell them, much less be tested. Obviously if the patient's symptoms become critical they'd then go into hospital, but, the VAST majority of those who have no symptoms / mild  symptoms / not critical symptoms will never show up in the statistics.

For those interested? 

Italian death rate approximately 10%.  8,200 deaths from COVID-19 from  80,500 confirmed COVID-19 cases. 

Edited by Baron99

Posted (edited)

We can build space stations and send probes to the edge of the Solar System.But a microscopic particle ,that isn't even classed as biologically alive, can bring the world to the edge of economic ruin .

If the human race is to survive, science needs to up its game in the war against viruses and antibiotic resistant bacteria.If we don't get ahead ,well, you can figure that out.

God knows what "nasty" organisms are going to be released by the 

Arctic melting permafrost.

Lets hope that if one contracts CoVid-19 ,then antibody immunity is

established.

The following is worth knowing.

Images

25 March

Coronavirus antibody test could be available within days

The UK government has ordered more than 3 million finger prick antibody tests that could be ready in a matter of days. The tests could reveal whether someone had covid-19, but they are being checked first to show that they work properly. It is also still not known whether it’s possible to develop long-lasting immunity to the coronavirus.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237475-coronavirus-latest-news-covid-19-antibody-test-ready-in-days/#ixzz6HsP1BItO

Refer to Antibody Test 25th March.

It needs to be brought into use ASAP.

Who will be able to get the test is pause for thought.

NB: The  Antibody Test  sensitivity needs to be finely tuned

so it is an accurate diagnostic tool.

I'll take this opportunity to wish all the Forum 

a healthy journey through this difficult time.

Edited by petemcewan

12 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

No mention of Prince Charles and the speed of his testing and result yet on the forum yet!

I'm amazed!

Hi RiffRaff,

I mentioned it previously (on this thread) pretty much as soon as it was announced on the news. A couple of people responded, generally commenting on royal privilege.

To my mind, it would have been more appropriate to give the 2 tests to NHS workers, than to Charles and Camila. I’m no royalist at the best of times, but, I guess more important things for us to be concerned with right now. 😕

19 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The Conservative 2019 manifesto didn't say they would pay the nation's wages in 2020 and all pubs / restaurants and non essential businesses would close.

That manifesto is null and void. The nation will be paying more income tax National Insurance and VAT for most likely at least the next decade after the Coronavirus has been controlled. 

Can’t they just plant another magic money tree or two?

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

The Conservative 2019 manifesto said :- "No increases to income tax, National Insurance or VAT".

Obviously this is irrelevant now. There will be big tax rises now to pay for all this, though I have to say, it's also when the pension "Triple Lock" should be abolished. Pensions should be linked to average earnings only * now. Arguably the Triple Lock" has never been justified (apart from to garner votes....) but now more than ever, when the young will be paying the price for all this (a health problem focussed disproportionally on the old) the "Triple Lock" should be history.

* In fact, if average earnings go down, so should the pension.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Hi RiffRaff,

I mentioned it previously (on this thread) pretty much as soon as it was announced on the news. A couple of people responded, generally commenting on royal privilege.

To my mind, it would have been more appropriate to give the 2 tests to NHS workers, than to Charles and Camila. I’m no royalist at the best of times, but, I guess more important things for us to be concerned with right now. 😕

I've posted a BBC Scotland link a few postings back.  Apparently his HRH met the NHS criteria but then again, according to the NHS criteria he didn't because he only had mild symptoms?  Hmmm! 

Here you are again: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-52049039#referrer=https://www.google.com

I also previously posted under your post that the BBC's Nicholas Witchell said Charles & Camilla "Were self-isolating in their non-substantial house." 

However post was removed because of a little joke I made. 

Edited by Baron99