Coronavirus

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

The Conservative 2019 manifesto said :- "No increases to income tax, National Insurance or VAT".

Since when was an election manifesto worth the price they paid to have it printed? 

41 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The poor Italians.  Their death rate is running at 10% & the spread of the virus is now moving to the South of the country. 

We're supposed to be a couple of weeks behind them?  Our current death rate is currently no where near theirs.  Let's hope the self-isolation, social distancing & home working, helps to keep it that way? 

We are not testing, so our death rate is not comparable with theirs.

No mention of Prince Charles and the speed of his testing and result yet on the forum yet!

I'm amazed!

Posted (edited)

I've not been on this Forum for a few months so I've not had chance to read others contributions to this growing pandemic.

Although I'm not supporter of the Government, I think some credit should be given where it is due. They have increased Universal Credit, for those entitled to it by a £1,000 per year. It's not a massive increase, just £20 per week. However, it is an acknowledgement. On the issue of benefits, I am aware that many people who read papers like the Mail, Telegraph, Express, encouraged by unscrupulous journalists, have been encouraged to believe that benefit claimants live the life of Riley. For the many millions that are now going to be starting a claim for it, they're in for a big shock. Unpleasant for them as it maybe, it will be a huge leveller.

I know there are many posters on here who have really stuck the knife into benefit claimants over the years, and the news that claimants will be receiving an increase in their Universal Credit will make these posters even more bitter and angry than they already are.

Obviously this is only one policy initiative. But it's a welcome one.

The Government, Boris Johnson especially is not a good communicator, and many in the press (even The Sun!!! are questioning his ability. I think one of their journalists has said that although Johnson likes to think himself as a Churchill; the comparison with Neville Chamberlain is more appropriate). His media advisor, Dominic Cummings has drawn scathing criticism from the Times, and other usually more sympathetic newspapers

Like any other crisis I think this one has brought out the best in people, and perhaps the worst as well. I've read stories of panic buying, people being really selfish in the supermarket and it's really disheartening. Some estate agents, hotels, construction companies, large retailers really have shown themselves up. I'm not going to name them, many on social media are already naming and shaming them. However some companies have thought about more than the bottom line: LUSH, many supermarkets, BREWDOG, Home Bargains, and Kurt Geiger.

And some people's actions are really inspiring - people in the Health Service working way over and above. Food banks whose resources are being diminished are getting many younger volunteers after many older volunteers have had to self isolate.

Edited by Mister M

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mister M said:

I've not been on this Forum for a few months so I've not had chance to read others contributions to this growing pandemic.

Although I'm not supporter of the Government, I think some credit should be given where it is due. They have increased Universal Credit, for those entitled to it by a £1,000 per year. It's not a massive increase, just £20 per week. However, it is an acknowledgement. On the issue of benefits, I am aware that many people who read papers like the Mail, Telegraph, Express, encouraged by unscrupulous journalists, have been encouraged to believe that benefit claimants live the life of Riley. For the many millions that are now going to be starting a claim for it, they're in for a big shock. Unpleasant for them as it maybe, it will be a huge leveller.

I know there are many posters on here who have really stuck the knife into benefit claimants over the years, and the news that claimants will be receiving an increase in their Universal Credit will make these posters even more bitter and angry than they already are.

Obviously this is only one policy initiative. But it's a welcome one.

The Government, Boris Johnson especially is not a good communicator, and many in the press (even The Sun!!! are questioning his ability. I think one of their journalists has said that although Johnson likes to think himself as a Churchill; the comparison with Neville Chamberlain is more appropriate). His media advisor, Dominic Cummings has drawn scathing criticism from the Times, and other usually more sympathetic newspapers

Like any other crisis I think this one has brought out the best in people, and perhaps the worst as well. I've read stories of panic buying, people being really selfish in the supermarket and it's really disheartening. Some estate agents, hotels, construction companies, large retailers really have shown themselves up. I'm not going to name them, many on social media are already naming and shaming them. However some companies have thought about more than the bottom line: LUSH, many supermarkets, BREWDOG, Home Bargains, and Kurt Geiger.

And some people's actions are really inspiring - people in the Health Service working way over and above. Food banks whose resources are being diminished are getting many younger volunteers after many older volunteers have had to self isolate.

I think the government are doing ok and ordinarily I’m a massive critic of the prime minister and tory party.

this is unprecedented though and generally I think they’re doing a good job.

plus I think nothing can be gained by politicising this now.

weve just got to stick together and keep on keeping on.

Edited by makapaka

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry, but the clapping at 8 o' clock really annoyed me. We can stand and clap all we want, but what our health professionals really need isn't applause, it's  proper Personal Protection Equipment, and they've been woefully let down not to have it. But of course the papers and media will be full of the clapping tomorrow, and the serious problem will be ignored. You can trust Boris to know how to sidestep bad publicity.

In spite of plenty of warning, this government is making  our dedicated health workers go into battle without armour, and that's a scandal. The government should be ashamed.

Edited by Anna B

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'm sorry, but the clapping at 8 o' clock really annoyed me. We can stand and clap all we want, but what our health professionals really need isn't applause, it's  proper Personal Protection Equipment, and they've been woefully let down not to have it. But of course the papers and media will be full of the clapping tomorrow, and the serious problem will be ignored. You can trust Boris to know how to sidestep bad publicity.

In spite of plenty of warning, this government is making  our dedicated health workers go into battle without armour, and that's a scandal. The government should be ashamed.

Good on you Anna - Yet I found myself runnning around my garden clapping.

Basic psychology.  Its something that we/you, the left leaning, need to understand and learn.

Nigel, Boris and even Enoch Powell don't need to understand it, its in their DNA.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Anna B said:

In spite of plenty of warning, this government is making  our health workers go into battle without armour, and that's a scandal. They should be ashamed.

Do you know something, I'm with you on this in certain aspects. 

It's great that the public are showing support for the workers of the NHS but like most of things these days, it appears it ACTUALLY appears less about offering support & thanks to the actual NHS workers & seems more about 'Look at MEEE! " posting what I'm doing, I'm clapping & wildly hitting a saucepan lid with a spoon & I'm just about to load MY video of ME doing it up to MY social profile.  Aren't I brilliant!  Let me # it & see how many ' likes' or re-tweets I can get? 

Just catching up with the news.  Looks like the pictures are from streets in the London suburbs.  Neighbours all out on the streets, performing for the cameras, some with their children, all intermingling, none practicing social distancing. 

Edited by Baron99

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

This is a difficult and challenging  job for any country under the circumstances , stop your government  bashing it's  becoming boring.

5 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

This can't be true simply because of the fact there hasn't been a corresponding jump in associated deaths. 

The stats simply do not support this point of view. 

Broadly speaking there are two possibilities, both consistent with the progress of the epidemic so far:

1. The percentage of people who develop serious illness when infected (call this 'rho') is relatively big, in which case the percentage of people who've already been exposed to the virus (call this 'z') has to be relatively small, or

2. rho is relatively small, in which case z has to be relatively big.  This is what the Oxford group argue, based on established methodology and estimates of rho from the WHO and published in the Lancet, plus circumstantial evidence like the first case in the UK having been recorded back at the end of January.

As mentioned several times, you can't easily discriminate between these two hypotheses, at this stage, without doing a proper survey of the population as a whole.  Hopefully the blood drop antibody test will be shown to work OK, which would make such a survey feasible.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Do you know something, I'm with you on this in certain aspects. 

It's great that the public are showing support for the workers of the NHS but like most of things these days, it appears it ACTUALLY appears less about offering support & thanks to the actual NHS workers & seems more about 'Look at MEEE! " posting what I'm doing, I'm clapping & wildly hitting a saucepan lid with a spoon & I'm just about to load MY video of ME doing it up to MY social profile.  Aren't I brilliant!  Let me # it & see how many ' likes' or re-tweets I can get? 

Just catching up with the news.  Looks like the pictures are from streets in the London suburbs.  Neighbours all out on the streets, performing for the cameras, some with their children, all intermingling, none practicing social distancing. 

Although I'm a huge supporter of the NHS, I too felt a little uncomfortable about people 'performing for the cameras and their neighbours'.

Most NHS and social care staff do the job they do quietly, unobtrusively and with no 'grandstanding'. I can imagine some who work in this area perhaps felt a little awkward by this outburst of some of the public.

If clapping makes the public feel less powerless and isolated, then all well and good. However if it is done to 'virtue signal' then it's a really poor reflection on the people that did clap, and in poor taste. If the latter then I'd have more time for them if they volunteered their time helping their community with things like shopping for victims of the virus, picking up prescriptions, and telephoning people in their area who feel lonely because of the lockdown.

Edited by Mister M

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

No mention of Prince Charles and the speed of his testing and result yet on the forum yet!

I'm amazed!

Apparently his HRH  'met' NHS Scotland's criteria to be tested. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-52049039

However this appears to contradict what is on NHS Scotland's own website where only serious cases are offered the test?

"Clarence House said the couple "met the criteria required for testing", but the NHS Scotland website states that "generally" people are only tested if they have "a serious illness that requires admission to hospital".

Edited by Baron99