Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Black Velvet Blackcurrant Cordial

Hi,

My brother and I spent a lot of time with our gran and grandad in the 70s and 80s and remember that gran always bought us Black Velvet cordial.  Does anyone else remember it? and if so can anyone remember who made it?

I remember her buying it on Crookes and my brother remembers her buying at the market in town.  The stuff was great and we would love to find out more about it, especially who made it.  It doesn't appear to be in production now so we can't find anything online.

If anyone can recall it and remember any details that would be great, thanks. 

I can remember a lovely black currant cordial drink called Ribena. They were advertising it on the tv last week so must still sell it.

10 hours ago, pattricia said:

I can remember a lovely black currant cordial drink called Ribena. They were advertising it on the tv last week so must still sell it.

They do, and it's still nice.

I've never heard of the OPs brand. I've seen some dry pressed online for £9 a bottle!! I go for Robinsons Apple and Blackcurrant (Double strength) or the same strength it used to be.

I tried something called Jucee (I think) That has to be the nastiest cordial I have ever tried. It just tasted of chemicals to me.

Posted (edited)
On 30/05/2020 at 23:09, m8thu said:

Hi,

My brother and I spent a lot of time with our gran and grandad in the 70s and 80s and remember that gran always bought us Black Velvet cordial.  Does anyone else remember it? and if so can anyone remember who made it?

I remember her buying it on Crookes and my brother remembers her buying at the market in town.  The stuff was great and we would love to find out more about it, especially who made it.  It doesn't appear to be in production now so we can't find anything online.

If anyone can recall it and remember any details that would be great, thanks. 

I've had a look on the internet and can't find anything.

I remember Black Velvet Canadian Whisky from my drinking Daze around that time but I'm sure yer Gran wasn't feeding you that, LOL.

Could it have been an own brand? CO-OP, Tesco's, Fine Fare, Presto's. Kwik Save?

Edited by Rockers rule
wrong spelling