Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Cannot Watch Or Read Fiction.

Pattricia, that subject fascinates me too, missing people. My husband's job involves searching for missing people, I keep telling him he should write a book. I have just read 3 books about missing girls who were kidnapped and found after many years, Natasha Kampusch, Michelle Knight and Elizabeth Smart, think you would enjoy reading these books, especially as they have happy endings.

22 hours ago, despritdan said:

I'm also just the opposite and have spent a lot of time in lockdown reading novels, particularly from the 19th century e.g. Dickens, Jane Austen, Wilkie Collins etc and watching films and dramas. They've all enriched my life enormously although I like some reality TV, especially 'The Apprentice' which is hilarious.

Not sure about 'the Apprentice' thing 

but is there some sort of achievement reading something from a different time period?

Something written in the 1800's is so different not only in content but use of words with something from modern day.

There were no surveillance cameras, tracking devices or drones in the days of the Tall ships

An early 1920's novel again will be so different to the 1800's book but you don't have to go back too far to find marked differences in style and content from a 1960's book or something written in the 70's or 80's.

Lots of the pulp fiction books from the 60's & 70's may be terrible by today's standards but are sometimes worth catching up with.

'Rat's' 'the Lair' & Domain' by James Herbert for example were read by nearly every body and still enjoyable as re read's, 

I've still all my NEL (New English Library) 'Biker' books ('Chopper', 'Mamma', 'the Run' etc, etc) that really are terrible but were worth catching up with again.

Any of the Tom Sharp books are still readable and extremely funny even now his trait of the hero of the book not being infallible works.

The best book I have read a lately or for a very long time has to be 'The Master and Margarita' total fictional page turner where anything can happen from one page to the next has to be the best thing that has ever  come out of Russia (everybody should read this hidden jem)

Want a challenge?

try reading 'A clock work Orange'

Excellent book. 

1 hour ago, Bunny Marsh said:

Pattricia, that subject fascinates me too, missing people. My husband's job involves searching for missing people, I keep telling him he should write a book. I have just read 3 books about missing girls who were kidnapped and found after many years, Natasha Kampusch, Michelle Knight and Elizabeth Smart, think you would enjoy reading these books, especially as they have happy endings.

1 hour ago, Bunny Marsh said:

It seems we have the same tastes Bunny.  I cannot understand my friends liking Coronation St, EastEnders, etc ; they nearly go mad if they miss an episode. They seem to believe that it is true.! 

Must admit Pattricia, many many years ago I would have been the same, was obsessed with Brookside, but that was long before real life programmes.

30 minutes ago, Bunny Marsh said:

Must admit Pattricia, many many years ago I would have been the same, was obsessed with Brookside, but that was long before real life programmes.

Also liked Brookside and Coronation St in their early days. Not now though.Too many real life programmes to choose from.

What about George Clooney...

Now, I'm not saying you watch his films but you do seem to like the man. This sort of points to possibly watching the films with him in. The ones I can think of are fiction.

Come on, the truth Pattricia!

Sorry, I nearly went into "A Few Good Men" cross examination 😂

1 hour ago, zach said:

What about George Clooney...

Now, I'm not saying you watch his films but you do seem to like the man. This sort of points to possibly watching the films with him in. The ones I can think of are fiction.

Come on, the truth Pattricia!

Sorry, I nearly went into "A Few Good Men" cross examination 😂

You’ve caught me out here zach !  I can watch his films with the sound turned down of course ( which I don’t) but I can put up with his films and stare at his wonderful face. He does of course do a coffee advert !

1 minute ago, pattricia said:

You’ve caught me out here zach !  I can watch his films with the sound turned down of course ( which I don’t) but I can put up with his films and stare at his wonderful face. He does of course do a coffee advert !

Just a bit of fun Pattricia 😉

I honestly can't understand people who like/watch soaps, each to their own. I don't really like dancing, selling, buying or singing type TV either. Documentaries make up a good 70% of my TV viewing. I watched a good one about a small hospital it the Scottish Highlands. The normal is David Attenborough or any nature ones.

I bought a second hand book some time age,  'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists'  by Robert Tressell.  forget about it and found it again last week,  I can't find time to read it although it has been recommended.

3 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Not sure about 'the Apprentice' thing 

but is there some sort of achievement reading something from a different time period?

Something written in the 1800's is so different not only in content but use of words with something from modern day.

There were no surveillance cameras, tracking devices or drones in the days of the Tall ships

An early 1920's novel again will be so different to the 1800's book but you don't have to go back too far to find marked differences in style and content from a 1960's book or something written in the 70's or 80's.

Lots of the pulp fiction books from the 60's & 70's may be terrible by today's standards but are sometimes worth catching up with.

'Rat's' 'the Lair' & Domain' by James Herbert for example were read by nearly every body and still enjoyable as re read's, 

I've still all my NEL (New English Library) 'Biker' books ('Chopper', 'Mamma', 'the Run' etc, etc) that really are terrible but were worth catching up with again.

Any of the Tom Sharp books are still readable and extremely funny even now his trait of the hero of the book not being infallible works.

The best book I have read a lately or for a very long time has to be 'The Master and Margarita' total fictional page turner where anything can happen from one page to the next has to be the best thing that has ever  come out of Russia (everybody should read this hidden jem)

Want a challenge?

try reading 'A clock work Orange'

Excellent book. 

I remember reading ,A Clockwork Orange' decades ago and enjoying it because it was nothing like anything I'd read before, especially his invention of futuristic words. I read modern novels as well and like going onto free kindle on Amazon and downloading novels I've never heard of, just to see what they're like. Some have been poor but I've also read some excellent thrillers.

Actually I don’t mind autobiography’s or biographies but I do think they exaggerate their life stories to sell more books.