Why Can't I Watch Or Read Fiction ?

13 minutes ago, Bunny Marsh said:

Just try one, I think you'll be hooked. A good one to start with is Behind Closed Doors by B.A.Paris.You can get a second hand one quite cheaply from Amazon.

Thank you.

Morning Pattricia

sorry I'm the exact opposite I read constantly and it can be on any subject especially something I don't know about.

I do like a bargain & have over the years picked up books that I would never have thought about buying but on the whole been very happy to learn about subjects other than my own immediate interests weather they be fact or fiction.

Some of the Science fiction books are too far out there for me especially those that start mentioning far away distant planets hibernated by superior races etc & I don't have much time for 'Super Hero' stuff but to contradict myself one of my favourite books is 'Monkey Planet' by Pierre Boulle. This little176 page paper back book easily read in a couple of days went on to spawn the whole massive Planet of the Apes films. 

In theory isn't the fact that by reading the book you embrace the knowledge of knowing where the original films came from?

I hate the whole Soap industry, same old plots reworked and so far from reality and so time controlling,

Holly oaks, Emmerdale, Cori, Eastenders  one after the other watch them all & oop's the nights gone.  (I'd rather be in't Garage anyway)

Traffic Cops has to be the poorest piece of filming ever - so stage managed and never linked in properly.

A Police chase that starts off in say Blackstock rd can the next second be on the parkway and be up woodseats the next second but back still being chased down Blackstock the next. poor and half the shots are stage managed after the event.

So I put my case forward on the side of books fact or fiction.

3 very good books I can recommend Pattricia all fact and something you might not particularly choose but all found to be interesting.

1 - Gordon Ramsay - Humble Pie.      I would never have picked this but it was the only thing to read in a Hospital waiting room years ago Excellent book.

2 - the King of Vodka - Linda Himelstein.      £1 shop and worth every penny -  intreguing history about the Smirnoff Dynasty

3 - Madame Tussauds 'A life and a time' Teresa Ransom. same again £1 shop. 

Enjoy

Edited by Rockers rule
wrong spelling

I'm also just the opposite and have spent a lot of time in lockdown reading novels, particularly from the 19th century e.g. Dickens, Jane Austen, Wilkie Collins etc and watching films and dramas. They've all enriched my life enormously although I like some reality TV, especially 'The Apprentice' which is hilarious.

3 hours ago, Bunny Marsh said:

Same here, only watch documentaries, real-life, police programmes, etc. Never watch soaps, period dramas. Find the general public are the best actors/actresses, especially Gogglebox.  Although love 8 out of 10 Cats, Room 101 and the like. But am an avid reader of psychological  fiction books.

Bunny I picked up on something you said in this post. Quote “ Find the general public are the best actors/ actresses. I so agree with you about this. Also one of my favourite subjects is unsolved crimes. Especially when people go missing and are never found. I think the quote that “  Fact is stranger than fiction”  Sums my choices up !

I used to read books constantly when I was single,  brought up on Jane Austen and still have the leatherbound book handed down to me by my mother,  then it was the odd romance book,  then who-dun-it  (Aunty sent me for xmas)  then a Dennis Wheatley (The Devil Rides Out) my ex used to read his books,  when I had children I didn't have the time but I prefer non-fiction now.  I also enjoy reference books.

56 minutes ago, cressida said:

I used to read books constantly when I was single,  brought up on Jane Austen and still have the leatherbound book handed down to me by my mother,  then it was the odd romance book,  then who-dun-it  (Aunty sent me for xmas)  then a Dennis Wheatley (The Devil Rides Out) my ex used to read his books,  when I had children I didn't have the time but I prefer non-fiction now.  I also enjoy reference books.

As a child I didn’t mind fiction at all especially at the cinema. We had no tv then so the Saturday morning cinema show was the highlight of the week. We had Flash Gordon and cowboy films. Gradually as I got older and especially after graduating as a nurse, I became more interested in factual programmes and films. For instance my favourite tv programme is GPS behind closed doors. I feel as though I’m actually in the doctors surgery as he’s talking to his patient.

Pattricia, that subject fascinates me too, missing people. My husband's job involves searching for missing people, I keep telling him he should write a book. I have just read 3 books about missing girls who were kidnapped and found after many years, Natasha Kampusch, Michelle Knight and Elizabeth Smart, think you would enjoy reading these books, especially as they have happy endings.

22 hours ago, despritdan said:

I'm also just the opposite and have spent a lot of time in lockdown reading novels, particularly from the 19th century e.g. Dickens, Jane Austen, Wilkie Collins etc and watching films and dramas. They've all enriched my life enormously although I like some reality TV, especially 'The Apprentice' which is hilarious.

Not sure about 'the Apprentice' thing 

but is there some sort of achievement reading something from a different time period?

Something written in the 1800's is so different not only in content but use of words with something from modern day.

There were no surveillance cameras, tracking devices or drones in the days of the Tall ships

An early 1920's novel again will be so different to the 1800's book but you don't have to go back too far to find marked differences in style and content from a 1960's book or something written in the 70's or 80's.

Lots of the pulp fiction books from the 60's & 70's may be terrible by today's standards but are sometimes worth catching up with.

'Rat's' 'the Lair' & Domain' by James Herbert for example were read by nearly every body and still enjoyable as re read's, 

I've still all my NEL (New English Library) 'Biker' books ('Chopper', 'Mamma', 'the Run' etc, etc) that really are terrible but were worth catching up with again.

Any of the Tom Sharp books are still readable and extremely funny even now his trait of the hero of the book not being infallible works.

The best book I have read a lately or for a very long time has to be 'The Master and Margarita' total fictional page turner where anything can happen from one page to the next has to be the best thing that has ever  come out of Russia (everybody should read this hidden jem)

Want a challenge?

try reading 'A clock work Orange'

Excellent book. 

1 hour ago, Bunny Marsh said:

Pattricia, that subject fascinates me too, missing people. My husband's job involves searching for missing people, I keep telling him he should write a book. I have just read 3 books about missing girls who were kidnapped and found after many years, Natasha Kampusch, Michelle Knight and Elizabeth Smart, think you would enjoy reading these books, especially as they have happy endings.

1 hour ago, Bunny Marsh said:

It seems we have the same tastes Bunny.  I cannot understand my friends liking Coronation St, EastEnders, etc ; they nearly go mad if they miss an episode. They seem to believe that it is true.! 

Must admit Pattricia, many many years ago I would have been the same, was obsessed with Brookside, but that was long before real life programmes.

30 minutes ago, Bunny Marsh said:

Must admit Pattricia, many many years ago I would have been the same, was obsessed with Brookside, but that was long before real life programmes.

Also liked Brookside and Coronation St in their early days. Not now though.Too many real life programmes to choose from.

What about George Clooney...

Now, I'm not saying you watch his films but you do seem to like the man. This sort of points to possibly watching the films with him in. The ones I can think of are fiction.

Come on, the truth Pattricia!

Sorry, I nearly went into "A Few Good Men" cross examination 😂