George Floyd- Killed By Police

Vaati

As per the bottom of the page: POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED. Click 'Report post' or contact us for any content that may breach our terms of use. We will look into the report as soon as possible. We do not support the promotion violence or racist behaviours. Any posts considered in breach of this or other forum rules, will be removed and the poster will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

I’ve watched the news mention that people are queuing to view his body why ? He was no angel.But saying that he didn’t deserve to have someone kneel on his neck. He was sentenced to 5 years for his part in a home invasion where he pointed a gun at a pregnant woman. He doesn’t deserve to be laid in state.

13 hours ago, bassbinn said:

the numbers show that 9  unarmed black men were killed by police in 2019 out of 328 million for whatever reason 

the numbers show that 19  unarmed white men were killed by police in 2019 out of 328 million for whatever reason 

49 people a year are killed by lightning in usa

100000 people in usa police fore are black thats 20% they are over represented to there 13 to 16% population

why are they working for such a racist establishment and wheres all the whistle blowers exposing this racism

but best one and you gotta admit is the best one wheres all the comments gone that are against the guardian newspaper narrative

could it be sheffield forum is run by  slightly left wing biased people

No the numbers don't show that - for a start there aren't 328 million black men in the USA (or 328 million white men for that matter).

Those figures are only for those unarmed people shot by police and wouldn't include the likes of George Floyd.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jun/05/larry-elder/larry-elder-mislabels-statistics-fatal-shootings-p/

What the figures do show is that approx one in six black people killed by police were unarmed.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/data-show-deaths-from-police-violence-disproportionately-affect-people-of-color

Edited by Longcol

On 07/06/2020 at 00:55, tinfoilhat said:

A policeman wasn't dragged off a horse, the horse bolted and the policeman rider hit a traffic light at considerable speed. 

Do you support the official Black Lives Matter campaign for a national defunding of the police and  to invest in black communities instead?

20 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

And does it?

So we should have left up all the jimmy savile stuff then?

Nope. Have a local vote and do what the majority of local people require.

Therefore the Saville stuff would have come down.

I have a lot more faith in the general public making  a wise decision...than the mob you seem fine with.

7 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

I have a lot more faith in the general public making  a wise decision...than the mob you seem fine with.

The mob are the general public - at least the part of it that was bothered enough to come out onto the streets.

Posts have once again been removed (including the entire quote chain). Next time the thread will be locked.

8 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

Nope. Have a local vote and do what the majority of local people require.

Therefore the Saville stuff would have come down.

There was no public vote on whether savile stuff came down or was renamed.

11 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Do you support the official Black Lives Matter campaign for a national defunding of the police and  to invest in black communities instead?

In America, given the huge budgets police departments get (NYPD I think is $8bn a year, compared with I think £12bn for England and wales) and the really small budgets other areas like housing and social services get - I think they could work with less.

Not sure about this country to be fair. Our police don't have the fairly awful reputation of their American counterparts, or budget, but they arent perfect either.

What do you think?

And what about the other bastions of imperialism, should Chatsworth be pulled down?

What about Churchill's statue in Trafalgar Square?

In fact shouldn't the whole of Bristol be razed to the ground as it was built on the profits of the slave trade?

In fact - shouldn't the whole of the UK be nuked because of its past...?

Of course not - so where are the boundaries? Who sets them?

Mob rule or reasoned discussion wherein all sides can be heard?

I think I know what SF members would want if the past is anything to go on...

Apparently Sadiq Khan has set up a Commission for Diversity in the Public Realm, looking to replace statues of slavers, etc, which for those who know their history is remarkably similarly(if not in purpose) to the Committee of Public Safety during the French Revolution.

I think some of what is happening is a positive thing, things like this happened in  Toxteth years ago, though amongst BLM aims is to 'appriopiate white property', but it all may have unexpected consequences: Imo, it was clear the covid19 and its contingencies would lead to radical demands and change, whether that happens is another thing, but very few people would have said it would be around BLM/racial inequality that a mass movement would coalesce, the lynching of GF was a catalyst, but this type of movement was already growing, though the majority being young, may have helped with its depth and intensity. It is great thats it has happened, but when the smoke clears, milllions more, will be unemployed,, capital will push for lower wages, conditions, etc, see British Airways. If a wider social movement doesn't occur, and there are no signs it will and it didn't in 2008, many young people just don't see politics in terms of ecomomic inequality, especially the new left, then we are basically stuffed and of course it will be minorities, disabled and sick(lost 28 billion in benefits and services, lost lives, etc) W/C, many BAME, who will suffer the most. Then, of course there will also be a right wing/populist backlash, which is also happening, its a febrile time and its going to more so,

meanwhile, disabled and sick people who have seen 28 billlion taken by the Treasury in benefits and services, and whom many hundreds have taken their own lives, hounded by the DWP, lost benefits are largely invisible, not a fashionable cause.

Edited by gamezone07

My concern is getting rid of all the statues and the road names and the building names is just sweeping it under the carpet. People need to remember the bad things to learn for the future. Should auschwitz be erased from history? In my opinion no! In my opinion we need to learn so that it can't happen again. 

The problem with mob rule is that they'll never be satisfied. Once our weak establishment has capitulated to their demands to have 60 statues removed, they'll be demanding that every statue of a white person be removed and replaced with statues of BAME people, then they'll want every street and building named after a white person to be renamed after a BAME person, then every footballer in this country must be black, every TV and radio presenter, every drama must only feature BAME actors, every MP must be black, every mayor and councillor in the country must be black, every white policeman who sees a black person must kneel down and bow to them, then every white person must give all their money to BAME people and finally, white people must be enslaved by black owners so they appreciate what their ancestors had to put up with.