Using An Outside Cash Machine

I have used a cash machine for drawing out cash but only inside the bank. Today I thought I would try an outside one. After putting my card in I then found that the frontal instruction part was unreadable owing to the sun shining on it. So I could not draw any cash out . I explained this to the lady behind me who was waiting to use the machine after me but she didn’t explain anything but just got on with her withdrawal. How do people draw cash out when they can’t see anything because of the sun ?

Edited by pattricia

48 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I have used a cash machine for drawing out cash but only inside the bank. Today I thought I would try an outside one. After putting my card in I then found that the frontal instruction part was unreadable owing to the sun shining on it. So I could not draw any cash out . I explained this to the lady behind me who was waiting to use the machine after me but she didn’t explain anything but just got on with her withdrawal. How do people draw cash out when they can’t see anything because of the sun ?

Cash machines have a polarising filter on them, that reduce the visible angle, the theory behind it is so people behind you/to your side cannot see what's on the screen, your balance, account number etc....

This some times has the unfortunate side-effect of reducing visibility in the sun, I usually shade the screen (or parts of it) with my hand to see what's on there, also some times ducking your head lower slightly will give a slightly different viewing angle on the polarising filter, and may help seeing it in the sun...

Then there's also, if it's a machine I use often enough, I just know the sequence of  buttons I usually press, as they don't change position, so don't even need to see the screen...

4 beeps for pin, 1 for enter - 1 beep for "Cash" selection, next beep for amount (unless entering manually) :)

but mostly, use your purse/wallet or something else to help shade the screen....

I. Know what you mean with glare the ones in Morrisons on Hillsborough is terrible as the sun shines right on them,

As said I usually try and sheild the sunshine,maybe sunglasses work.

12 minutes ago, speleo1 said:

I. Know what you mean with glare the ones in Morrisons on Hillsborough is terrible as the sun shines right on them,

As said I usually try and sheild the sunshine,maybe sunglasses work.

Never thought about wearing sunglasses. Will try that tomorrow.

It's true what they say...

Save your money for a rainy day.

52 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Cash machines have a polarising filter on them, that reduce the visible angle, the theory behind it is so people behind you/to your side cannot see what's on the screen, your balance, account number etc....

This some times has the unfortunate side-effect of reducing visibility in the sun, I usually shade the screen (or parts of it) with my hand to see what's on there, also some times ducking your head lower slightly will give a slightly different viewing angle on the polarising filter, and may help seeing it in the sun...

Then there's also, if it's a machine I use often enough, I just know the sequence of  buttons I usually press, as they don't change position, so don't even need to see the screen...

4 beeps for pin, 1 for enter - 1 beep for "Cash" selection, next beep for amount (unless entering manually) :)

but mostly, use your purse/wallet or something else to help shade the screen....

Thank you for your advice.

Let us know if sunglasses work.

I think that most people just know which buttons to press after a while.  It's been ages since I have used a physical cashpoint though, so I wouldn't know which button I needed without reading it either.

No, wouldn't have a clue what the buttons are if I couldn't see the screen, and I do use them a bit. Are the buttons the same layout no matter which company/bank?

I have had the screen glare, my glasses go dark and that doesn't help at all. Not sure if it's the same as wearing sunglasses. Creating a bit of shade with your body or hands but I'm a bit OCD with hiding my input with one hand, block the sun with the other...you see where I'm going with this 😄

48 minutes ago, medusa said:

I think that most people just know which buttons to press after a while.  It's been ages since I have used a physical cashpoint though, so I wouldn't know which button I needed without reading it either.

I just wanted to try it out in case I ever wanted some cash in an emergency but like you because Ive never used it before I didn’t know where the buttons were.

Well there is always... oops! not any more! Was going to say cash back at the till but cash is now frowned upon due to COVID 19. Whilst on the subject of screens the CO-OP have the best self-service checkouts as you can use the edge of a card to tap the screen. Not so with Sainsbury's or Tesco self checkout! 

The one's I use outside Yorkshire Bank at Hillsboro are bright and clear even in strong sunlight; must use different technology, like the large roadside advertising screens that are appearing here and there.

To add- my £500 Samsung phone screen is useless in sunlight, you have to guess when taking a pic. Same with most small cameras, I won't buy one unless it's got a viewfinder, something the makers are shy on providing. How folks in the hot sunny countries cope with these things I don't know.

Edited by carosio