Decent Modular Psu Help .

Recently I discovered that my CoolerMaster 750W Gold was having issues - it decided when it was going to boot or otherwise. I originally thought it might have been a failed power-switch but when the behaviour remained the same after replacing the PowerSwitch cable with a new one, I ended up putting back the original CoolerMaster 550W Bronze unit. I have put in a warranty claim which has been acknowledged but due to Covid-19 staff are working from home. Yesterday I had an issue where the computer shut-down randomly whilst in a browser and re-booted - if this is another potential PSU failure I won't be able to use the PC which I rely on for work at home. CoolerMaster PSU's appear to be in limited supply, especially modular ones. The ones currently available/pre-order units are labelled White and aren't modular. Has there been a move away from modular in recent years? Has there been problems? What brand would others recommend? Ideally I am looking at a 'silent' 650 W unit that has proven longevity. (I only bought the 750 W because I couldn't get hold of a 650 W at the time I upgraded this rig to a Ryzen 7 Mobo). Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by Ghozer

I mainly use...

Corsair AX/HX Series

Be Quiet Dark Power/Pro

On my main systems but they both can be expensive. Although others get very good reviews, it's probably more a case of staying with that I know.

Basic fully wired ones have included Corsair VS Series and cheaper Thermaltake range.

I don't know about others but I still use fully modular when I can, or the system warrants the expense. There seems to be a lot still made but can't comment on the supply at the moment due to restriction etc.. I can't say I've ever known a PSU cause issues in the case you mention, I'm not saying it can't happen. I remember us chatting when you were buying the parts for the system you mention, have you been keeping up with BIOS updates etc? There has been a lot on that platform. Look via the website, not just any BIOS update tools. Have you heard any fans getting louder or noticed anything in the system reporting software of your OS? I just find it strange that 2 PSUs have gone wrong given the age of the system.

EDIT: I have just looked on Scan, Ebuyer and Aria and you're right about the lack of stock. Most I'd even look at are on pre order. Give us an idea of budget and we can see what's in stock.

EDIT 2: THIS is showing as in stock. 80 Plus Gold, fully Modular, Under £100...just! Have a read up, I've never owned one.

Edited by zach

Thanks for the responses. I've gone with Zach's recommendation. Yes I updated the BIOS about a couple of months ago. The 550 PSU is well out of warranty. Pity I shan't benefit from the colourful display which I am not bothered about. I always think such trappings are a bit of a waste of time! Update at 14:56 26.05.2020 - just checked the EZUpdate wizard, I have the most up-to-date BIOS)

Edited by swarfendor437

5 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Thanks for the responses. I've gone with Zach's recommendation. Yes I updated the BIOS about a couple of months ago. The 550 PSU is well out of warranty. Pity I shan't benefit from the colourful display which I am not bothered about. I always think such trappings are a bit of a waste of time! Update at 14:56 26.05.2020 - just checked the EZUpdate wizard, I have the most up-to-date BIOS)

OK mate, just wanted to double check as I know I've done loads of BIOS updates on the X470s and my last X370. which now shows and uses the full speed of the RAM. Let us know what you think of the PSU when you get/install it. I might treat my main backup system to a new one.

I know what you mean about lights. My main gear lights up like a christmas tree if I turn them on. But... A. The window on the system is against a wall. And B, far too much messing about with all the lighting software. I did want plain white...impossible!! No company or PC part with an LED has the same shade/look to white, so I got all mardy and turned them all off 😄

I have to say that Ghozers system of a couple of years back did look well. Lots of coloured lights that looked a hell of a lot better that I've ever got.

Quick EDIT: If you mean something like ASUS EZ or (Easy) update, on mine it never shows the latest. On the Gigabyte one it shows something like F41 as the latest. My BIOS is F51d on the same board. Have a quick look on the board support page, I don't know why but that always has newer (non-beta) BIOS files.

Edited by zach

Hi Zach,

Using the command dmidecode in a terminal in Linux I see I am up to date:

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZHciqkZz89w7tj46p8wqyPBkIqyjLCuHgxk

However I somehow stumbled across an AMD Chipset update for Ryzen Processors for  Windows 7 and 10 64-bit processor chipset updates? Dated 07.04.2020 (American Date format) which surprised me in view of Windows 7 no longer being supported!

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470 - but I am guessing that is not for Ryzen - the dangers of different companies using the same product code!

Edited by swarfendor437

HI Swarf,

Chipset and any other drivers are nothing to do with the end of MS support for the OS. I get the chipset drivers from AMD and the other device drivers via the motherboard support site.

I agree that AMD could have named the versions a bit better, basically on desktop CPUs, you get Zen (1XXX), Zen+ (2XXX) and Zen 2 (3XXX) All their CPU/APUs don't follow this but it gives you an idea (link)

Not sure on the 2nd link, did you upgrade to an X470? I seem to remember us talking and you got the 1700X (Zen) and an X370. Looking at the left side compared to the right side, the information looks right. But it's quite early and I've not had my morning brew yet!!

Edited by zach

OK fitted the new Power supply. Decided to put the old Power Switch back in... Very pretty looking PSU but no fans working including cpu fan, and a brief murmur from the optical drive. No CMOS beep on boot either! 

OK fitted the new Power supply. Decided to put the old Power Switch back in... Very pretty looking PSU but no fans working including cpu fan, and a brief murmur from the optical drive. No CMOS beep on boot either! Solved it.!That ATX connection on the PSU has a reet b****er of an extra piece. Thought I'd attach the RGBA header bu waste of time as the Mobo has 4 pins and the cable supplied has one socket filled in! 

Edited by swarfendor437

Those plugs can be VERY tight!!

On the PSU, chances are the fan only starts when it's needed. Some run all the time, other start when under load.

As I said pervious, the lights aren't really my "thing" I know you get RGB and addressable RGB. I have loads of odd 3 and 4 pin wires for it, they are still in the motherboard box!

What do you mean by "old power switch"?

I know what you mean now. I have a couple I use on my test bench but usually too lazy to use it, just cross the pins with a screwdriver...Not the best way to do it!