2nd Hand Pc Components Rising Post Covid?

Looks like 2nd PC compnent have risen post covid, i was going to sell my old 970 gtx up for about 80 quid as that was the going rate , 2months later, on ebay, they are going for 99.00 plus postage, some 120 pounds, some on Amazon are asking for 160! quite a rise. They are still a useable card though

obviously people are bored and want to play games, so good for sellers, like me, 1 pound fees all May, collection free as well, not so good for buyers, haven't looked how much more 1070'S /1080's etc are now

I got £120 for a STRIX GTX970, it was perfect and boxed etc. 

I seem to remember you commenting on the silly price of used parts before this lot. I take it people are now willing to pay more for used?  I've not noticed a big lack of new gear other than mini ITX AM4 boards. You can buy the rubbish but the decent ones are on back order. 

I have a 1080 not doing much but I don't think my daughter will ever speak to me again if I didn't give her first chance. 

Edited by zach

supply & demand in action :)

if you cant' get new stuff then you either wait or go to the 2nd hand market. 

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

That's my point though, I've not seen a lack in supply. The board I mention is a limited market and was very hit and miss before recent events. I have no doubt that things will change the longer the lockdows in various countries continue.

Maybe I'm looking at it from a different price point and the mid range gear is running low. Or in the case of the ITX board, I'm being  picky as to which board I want. Using the GTX970 as an example, I doubt there's a new option that will give the same results for the same money...is there?

Just because they are listed on amazon for 160, doesn't mean people are buying them at that..

the RX570 is only £125 and beats the 970 in a lot of instances...
the RX580 isn't much more....
the GTX1650 is between £130-160 and will generally perform about the same, or better as the 970!

As for the market, yes it did stagnate slightly over the past couple of months, lots of things out of stock and such, but things are almost back to normal now...

21 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Just because they are listed on amazon for 160, doesn't mean people are buying them at that..

the RX570 is only £125 and beats the 970 in a lot of instances...
the RX580 isn't much more....
the GTX1650 is between £130-160 and will generally perform about the same, or better as the 970!

As for the market, yes it did stagnate slightly over the past couple of months, lots of things out of stock and such, but things are almost back to normal now...

I had a RX580 and the 580X is in my mac. I would say it was on a par (Desktop model) with the 970 but had more memory. I've not really looked at new GPUs for a while as I don't need one. I did have a quick look at the RTX Titan...a very quick look! 

I think a new motherboard, more RAM, a bigger NVMe and more server storage are next on my shopping list. Not in that order.

On 25/05/2020 at 07:38, andyofborg said:

The thing is it isn't just new, 2nd hand electronics are going up hugely, and have been forquite a while. About 2014, i got a logitech z5400 home cinema set for 50 quid delivered on the bay, now similar is going for 130 plus, in some cases much more. Something has changed, I think it post economic crash, many ex employees set themsleves up as dealers, with all the overheads, etc, and now change premium prices for old kit, private sellers take price signals from them, and so it goes on,

39 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

The thing is it isn't just new, 2nd hand electronics are going up hugely, and have been forquite a while. About 2014, i got a logitech z5400 home cinema set for 50 quid delivered on the bay, now similar is going for 130 plus, in some cases much more. Something has changed, I think it post economic crash, many ex employees set themsleves up as dealers, with all the overheads, etc, and now change premium prices for old kit, private sellers take price signals from them, and so it goes on,

You just proved supply and demand though..
New parts aren't available, so people look at 2nd hand market
More people are buying 2nd hand, so less supply of 2nd hand components
2nd hand prices raise, as there's more demand...

Hence why things are more expensive, even on the 2nd hand market..

and You really got a Z5400 for £50? that's a bargain!! - the cheapest I have ever seen one of those is about £120

Its the same with all electronics, just looking at de-humidifiers, people asking nearly new prices, I wonder if cost of living indexes take all this into account, its very worrying for those on low income,

still think the recentish e bay one person tech recyclers have some bearing.

btw gumtree uk is definitely cheaper, more private sellers, but of cours, most are collection only

Edited by gamezone07

25.00 for 9 yr old 2tb hard drive, no info, hd check, etc, can't see justification for that, supply and demand or not, new is 53 quid.

There's always the chancers, people who are purposely over charging, and also those who just might not know what it's worth....

a single listing out of many shouldn't be a reflection overall

Plus ebay-buyers.....you always get people who will pay more second hand than you can get something new. Or amazon sellers who charge twice what amazon charge for something. People can be really dumb when it comes to spending money.