Charging Neighbours For Work And Skip?

Hi. Just wanting a bit of advice as to where I stand with this. I am putting up a fence along the side of my house and last year my next door wanted to put half too. They had a wall taken down which was not cleared properly. I ordered a skip and cleared it all and then ask my next door. If they where ready to put half too. They said not at the moment due to money so I said OK ill pay it anyway no problem are you OK with that, yes not a problem. So I spent 5 days clearing rubble then another three digging holes along the side of the house. Then. I get a letter she sent to the council reporting me for digging in her boundary. The bloke next door had been saying I'm doing a top job all week :@ so now Ivw redug and moved the fence inwards anyway now they just have a long ditch along there drive and looks a mess for them. What I want to know is can I charge for the skip and my labour as they watched me saying I'm doing a great job then reported me to the council saying I'm in there land? So this means you've took the mick out of me and watched me clean your garden side up and then told me you don't want a fence now I've already dug and bought it? Is there anything I can do to claim back my time and skip hire or will it cost more to chase this thanks. 

Unless you got something in writing I would say you don’t have any reasonable grounds to claim off your neighbour 

1 minute ago, rudds1 said:

Unless you got something in writing I would say you don’t have any reasonable grounds to claim off your neighbour 

Thanks. I have letters from the council about her reporting and the actuall letter that she sent to them too. I don't know if that would be any good or not. Just a crap situation really have been really good to them for the last two years always have a chat then they did that instead of just talking to me. Kind of feel betrayed if you know what I mean lol 

1 minute ago, Stevenc90 said:

Thanks. I have letters from the council about her reporting and the actuall letter that she sent to them too. I don't know if that would be any good or not. Just a crap situation really have been really good to them for the last two years always have a chat then they did that instead of just talking to me. Kind of feel betrayed if you know what I mean lol 

I know what you mean.  Next time you plan to do something like this get a proper letter written out and both you and other party sign it and have a copy each ,at least that why you might have something to fall back on if they don’t keep to their side of the deal etc 

3 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

I know what you mean.  Next time you plan to do something like this get a proper letter written out and both you and other party sign it and have a copy each ,at least that why you might have something to fall back on if they don’t keep to their side of the deal etc 

Thanks for the advice, I don't think I will need anything like that again now but good idea for the future if need be. Now my fence is up I don't have to see them ever again hopefully. 

You moved the fence back so you are showing guilt of encroaching on there land . You should have asked if was okay when you dug the holes then maybe they would have agreed .Bit naughty of you think you should let the matter drop . my neighbour did the same as he had a tight drive about 4 inch but he asked so i agreed as it didnt affect me 

By the sounds of it you were trying to do a good turn and its backfired.   I wouldn't bother with them ever again, as for getting any money from them I don't think you've got a chance.  Stick with keeping your own garden nice and if there's looks a mess it's their problem.  Sounds like you've been a good neighbour, shame you can't chuck all their rubble back where it was.

Edited by katekate

On 24/05/2020 at 16:54, spider1 said:

You moved the fence back so you are showing guilt of encroaching on there land . You should have asked if was okay when you dug the holes then maybe they would have agreed .Bit naughty of you think you should let the matter drop . my neighbour did the same as he had a tight drive about 4 inch but he asked so i agreed as it didnt affect me 

😕 Not really pal. As I said I did ask them and the bloke saw me telling me I'm doing a grand job then they waited till I'd finished then did  what I said.

On 24/05/2020 at 17:11, katekate said:

By the sounds of it you were trying to do a good turn and its backfired.   I wouldn't bother with them ever again, as for getting any money from them I don't think you've got a chance.  Stick with keeping your own garden nice and if there's looks a mess it's their problem.  Sounds like you've been a good neighbour, shame you can't chuck all their rubble back where it was.

Thanks. That's what I'm going to do from now on its all up and looks amazing so now I don't have to see them again now. They have still benefited though because I've re-soiled all down there side to make it look nice for when the council come to check it. They probably will still have a problem with that but if they have they can pay for my skip and time and I'll buy a tonne of rubble for them if that's what they want lol. 

Edited by Stevenc90

On 24/05/2020 at 11:51, Stevenc90 said:

Hi. Just wanting a bit of advice as to where I stand with this. I am putting up a fence along the side of my house and last year my next door wanted to put half too. They had a wall taken down which was not cleared properly. I ordered a skip and cleared it all and then ask my next door. If they where ready to put half too. They said not at the moment due to money so I said OK ill pay it anyway no problem are you OK with that, yes not a problem. So I spent 5 days clearing rubble then another three digging holes along the side of the house. Then. I get a letter she sent to the council reporting me for digging in her boundary. The bloke next door had been saying I'm doing a top job all week :@ so now Ivw redug and moved the fence inwards anyway now they just have a long ditch along there drive and looks a mess for them. What I want to know is can I charge for the skip and my labour as they watched me saying I'm doing a great job then reported me to the council saying I'm in there land? So this means you've took the mick out of me and watched me clean your garden side up and then told me you don't want a fence now I've already dug and bought it? Is there anything I can do to claim back my time and skip hire or will it cost more to chase this thanks. 

He says you're doing a great job, she reports you to the council???  Is there more to this story?

7 hours ago, blackydog said:

He says you're doing a great job, she reports you to the council???  Is there more to this story?

Not at all. That's all of it that's the reason I'm fuming with them. I couldn't believe it myself. 

Why did you move the fence over was it to give you a wider drive 

22 hours ago, spider1 said:

Why did you move the fence over was it to give you a wider drive 

No mate. They have a drive thats a bodge job that's raised a little from the boundary so its kind of like a step down into my garden which would make you think that was the boundary. It would have looked better for them to have it up to it as now they have a big step/ditch running all down the side of the drive they have. It worked out better putting it in anyway because there was no boundary stones to take out. They have just been akward and let me clean up crap on there side after telling me it was fine to do it then reported me saying they didn't want it. She admitted to them she said she did want it and now she doesn't for reasons unknown to anybody. Just an akward neighbour with nothing else better to do as she just sits in the house all day every day doing nothing but ordering junk parcels. Probably takes joy in ruining peoples days / lives to make her self feel better about herself, she's a mean horrible rude person. The husband is fine but she controls what he does. How awkward would that be if your always talking to your neighbour and then you've spoke to them about it, telling them that's a great job and then your partner reports them while your at work. She could have just spoke to me which is why I don't understand any of it we have always been ok up til now. That's the reason I was so fuming about it, it's not like we've never spoke or had a falling out. I used to take there bins down every week and never got a thanks at all so I stopped doing that but that was no biggy just another example of been took for a t..t by them.