300 Houses In Loxley Valley

I too seem to remember commenting on a previous thread on this subject, but can't find that thread now. I was born and brought up in that area and a close relative lives on Loxley Rd - a very short walk from the proposed new development.

Like some previous posters, I have mixed feelings on this. The Loxley area is  mostly  very picturesque, with lovely countryside all around,  but there are definitely plenty of long-derelict old brownfield sites that are ripe for redevelopment. These areas have been abandoned eyesores for many years. There's definitely a need for more housing in Sheffield and building on these derelict brownfield sites makes sense, but I strongly feel that at least 50% of any new houses/flats built should be social housing. This should not just be an excuse for developers to build nice houses in a nice area and make a vast profit from people on middle-class incomes who can afford to buy them. There needs to be social housing for poorer people too!

There also needs to be more thought given to the infrastructure of the whole area - things like schools, shops, doctors and dentists, cafes, pubs, libraries - and in particular, to public transport links.  That area is currently very poorly served by public transport.

9 hours ago, Planner1 said:

You have to remember that property companies can afford to have very good planning consultants and lawyers who know exactly how far they can push and what they can get away with. The planning system is stacked very heavily in favour of the developer, which is how the government wants it.

The point is the blatant disregard of what was previously required to obtain planning permission happens time after time, so makes a mockery of developers agreeing to comply with requirements, when will planners take a stand against this deception.

2 minutes ago, peteh1 said:

The point is the blatant disregard of what was previously required to obtain planning permission happens time after time, so makes a mockery of developers agreeing to comply with requirements, when will planners take a stand against this deception.

Indeed, there are too many to mention, and some less than a mile from this proposed development

15 hours ago, peteh1 said:

when will planners take a stand against this deception.

I'd suspect that the answer will be "when the planning system and the resources available to them allow"

The government have set up the system and property developers are funders of the party in power as discussed in this article

Another article (quite a long one) from the Guardian discusses how developers get away with planning requirements like those for affordable housing.

Local authorities on the other hand have seen year on year cuts in budgets under austerity and planning departments have had their resources reduced.

So reading between the lines, it seems you are saying planners are going through the motions of insisting affordable housing is included in the initial design, knowing full well they will be dropped before building commences with the developers suffering no come back ?

6 hours ago, peteh1 said:

So reading between the lines, it seems you are saying planners are going through the motions of insisting affordable housing is included in the initial design, knowing full well they will be dropped before building commences with the developers suffering no come back ?

Which if they are, then the least they could do would be honest when giving their reasons for granting applications ie not asserting that they did so because of the amount of affordable housing/community amenities included in the development etc etc, because if Planner 1 is right, then all the 'goodies' included in an application will never actually materialise

Edited by NewBiz

On 31/05/2020 at 13:41, peteh1 said:

I think you and NewBiz are being a bit black & white here. It isn't true to say that no developer ever ends up building any affordable housing, ever. Of course affordable housing gets built, it's just that often the amount that is eventually agreed on and physically built is often much less than originally agreed at first, and yes, quite often that ends up being nothing.

It's a tug of war between developer and council planning office - weighted by law & resources in favour of the developer - and to that end, there will be obvious losses but also some successes. Not every Developer is powerful and resourceful enough to completely overcome the planning system, and it's also fair to say that screwing over the local planning office every time isn't necessarily in a Developers interests either?

I think Planner1 describes the situation very well. It's not a great one - I don't think you or Planner1 would disagree on that - but it should explain why planners do what they do. Aim high, follow the national guidance, work with what they've got to secure the most of the agreed plans and hope that they can secure as much of that as they can.

What else would you have them do? Do nothing? Not bother? 5% affordable housing is better than the development not going ahead at all.

Edited by AndrewC

How much will an Affordable house be,

They won't be in my bracket even the cheapest ones.

There's been over 550 objections to this inc from Campaign for Protection of Rural England ( CPRE) Bradfield Parish Council, several councillors,  SY Bat Group among others, but you've only got until Monday to have your say.

I hadn't realised the wealth and variety of wildlife on and around the site. I knew there were deer, kingfishers and heron, but apparently it's also a nesting/roosting site for barn owls and bats,  and is also home to badgers, dippers and foxes. It may strictly speaking be a brownfield site, however in the 30 yrs since it was operational nature has taken over, it's also completely surrounded by Green Belt and is so so close to Peak National Park.

Application has been refused on a number of grounds including damage to greenbelt, unsustainability, flood risk, poor transport links and a failure to by the developers to enage with planners before application.

Fantastic news!   Are  they allowed to appeal the decision?

They can appeal or they might put in revised plans (I suspect very few developers expect a first time pass!). 

Quite interesting to read the objections and comments.  Certainly a lot of  NIMBYism, alongside genuine issues such as traffic concerns at Malin Bridge. 

I liked Funding for Sport's comments about needing people to make the community thrive and to ensure provision of services.  This is what often gets forgotten when things like public transport is cut.  Throughout the last year I've rarely seen a Bradfield bus with more than a couple of people on it - more houses in the valley will increase demand for those rural services, and will hopefully save them for the wider community. 

Edited by feargal