Site At Corner Cobden View Rd Northfield Rd Crookes

This has never been a community garden  It has always been private land.  The fact that people wanted to plant flowers on it doesn't make it theirs and that was their choice even tho they knew it was private land.

I have lived at that end of Crookes for over 40 years and I have never seen anyone use it, apart from it being a dog toilet.  If people want green space the Bole Hills are two minutes away.  I'm sure playing on there and having picnics if far better than on some land that has buses and cars passing with fumes all day and night.

1 hour ago, Mandem said:

This has never been a community garden  It has always been private land.  The fact that people wanted to plant flowers on it doesn't make it theirs and that was their choice even tho they knew it was private land.

I have lived at that end of Crookes for over 40 years and I have never seen anyone use it, apart from it being a dog toilet.  If people want green space the Bole Hills are two minutes away.  I'm sure playing on there and having picnics if far better than on some land that has buses and cars passing with fumes all day and night.

and to play Devils Advocate - given its impossible to build outwards onto the extensive green land beyond crookes/crosspool (as far as I know) which would go a long way to helping with the housing shortage, houses have to go somewhere.

Same with the loxley development. There is a severe shortage, and people need to be able to live somewhere. Anything proposed is always opposed by local residents everywhere as far as I can tell.

Edited by nightrider

On 13/06/2020 at 11:18, kaytie said:

I hope planning permission is refused.   Loads of shops...need some pleasant greenery.

Good thing there's a large park just 200 metres away then

Guest makapaka
7 hours ago, Mandem said:

I’ve been in and around crookes area for 20 years and totally agree.

16 hours ago, makapaka said:

I’ve been in and around crookes area for 20 years and totally agree.

Thats not quite true. If they have used it for more than a certain amount of time, and the landowner has never given permission nor tried to prevent usage, then from a legal standpoint they have a claim to continued use of the land. IIRC the length is 20 years.

6 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Thats not quite true. If they have used it for more than a certain amount of time, and the landowner has never given permission nor tried to prevent usage, then from a legal standpoint they have a claim to continued use of the land. IIRC the length is 20 years.

If this is true why did the council allow the land to be sold to a private developer,  They should have stepped in and informed the legal team of the prospective buyers of this and bought the land themselves for  "community garden"   If it was a legal binding amendment then it should have shown up an any searches that were done.  

Guest makapaka
16 minutes ago, nightrider said:

It wasn’t getting used for anything though.

18 minutes ago, makapaka said:

It wasn’t getting used for anything though.

I thought residents state they have used it as a community garden?

1 hour ago, Mandem said:

If this is true why did the council allow the land to be sold to a private developer,  They should have stepped in and informed the legal team of the prospective buyers of this and bought the land themselves for  "community garden"   If it was a legal binding amendment then it should have shown up an any searches that were done.  

Do you seriously think the council have the wherewithal to scrutinise every sale of private land and go off “advising” potential buyers?  Do you really think that they have the money to buy up random plots of development land for use as “ community gardens”?

If they needed it for one of their projects, they’d have negotiated a purchase. 

If the community value it as green space, maybe they should have raised the money and bought it themselves?

It’s one private owner selling a plot to another. The buyer needs to do the usual checks, it’s their responsibility, not the council’s. The council don’t have a role in advising potential buyers of possible problems with private land they want to purchase. The council can’t do everything for everyone.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Do you seriously think the council have the wherewithal to scrutinise every sale of private land and go off “advising” potential buyers?  Do you really think that they have the money to buy up random plots of development land for use as “ community gardens”?

If they needed it for one of their projects, they’d have negotiated a purchase. 

If the community value it as green space, maybe they should have raised the money and bought it themselves?

It’s one private owner selling a plot to another. The buyer needs to do the usual checks, it’s their responsibility, not the council’s. The council don’t have a role in advising potential buyers of possible problems with private land they want to purchase. The council can’t do everything for everyone.

I am not saying the council should have bought the land I was being facetious, but our local councillor seems to have enough time to interfere

On 15/06/2020 at 12:19, nightrider said:

and to play Devils Advocate - given its impossible to build outwards onto the extensive green land beyond crookes/crosspool (as far as I know) which would go a long way to helping with the housing shortage, houses have to go somewhere.

Same with the loxley development. There is a severe shortage, and people need to be able to live somewhere. Anything proposed is always opposed by local residents everywhere as far as I can tell.

Walk round Crookes and you will see loads of houses bearing "for sale" and "to let" signs.   No shortage here.

1 hour ago, kaytie said:

Walk round Crookes and you will see loads of houses bearing "for sale" and "to let" signs.   No shortage here.

There is still a shortage though, thats why the asking prices for sale and rental costs are so high.